So shipping cars to japan is a thing?

Never really thought about it until today. Reason being is i sold the 610 today :(  3200 for her. Im really upset i had to, but this providence bill is being a pain in my ass and they are not willing to work with me.  Anyway guy shows up with a bunch of old bikes int eh back of his truck. I was thinking ok...Then he just looks her over, starts her up, and says ok ill take it.  I started to think it was some kind of scam but he had 3200 cash, and i asked him what hes going to do with it, flip it?  He says nope, i ship cars to japan.   I guess he finds cars for people, has a list of what they are looking for, and then ships once he finds them.  So i guess my ol girl is going to be making a trip across the ocean to japan, im really going to miss her :(  But im hoping at least going over there, she will got o someone that will restore her,  if they are spending that much money its at least what i hope!   I always knew shipping form japan was a big thing, but never really thought about shipping j tin back.  Now im waiting for a transport truck to show up and pick the 610 up.  At least with the money i can pay off the bill, and get purple back on the road.  Just going to miss my wagon :(

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know there's some demand for classic US cars in Japan, so you see '64 Impalas and things like that going there, seems kind of weird a guy in Japan would want a US-spec Japanese car but whatever. 

Just hope she's going to a good home.

• Like 1

It was important to the guy it ran, so im hoping it doesnt get parted.  I hope it gets taken care of, especially since i really did not want to sell it.  Wish my wife was being a lil more sympathetic on how upset i am about selling her .  I know she never really cared for it, but i do.    

lol mines so rusty though, why i say that lol. Every panel has rust, dash is cracked. He took the extra doors and hatch. Gave me extra cash for those.  Didnt argue price with me, even my dad was like you got 3200 for that 610, and more for the extra doors?  He like my wife felt my 610 was a pos, no one seemed to like it but me i guess :(  Sad thing is i really love this wagon, and its just hitting me hard that i actually had to sell it.  Was so happy to finally have a 610, and a wagon all in one. :(   Was nice to daily a datsun again. 

They wanted the car running so they wouldn't have to pay extra fees when loading and unloading.

Just as people in the US drool over "JDM" everything, those in Japan covet the "USDM" things and some even go as far as imitating different US styles of modifications.  To them having left hand drive is the same as people wanting right hand drive for the "cool factor".

-Robert

• Like 1

They wanted the car running so they wouldn't have to pay extra fees when loading and unloading.

Just as people in the US drool over "JDM" everything, those in Japan covet the "USDM" things and some even go as far as imitating different US styles of modifications.  To them having left hand drive is the same as people wanting right hand drive for the "cool factor".

-Robert

When Honda started making sedans here in the USA there arose a hugh demand in Japan for this "American Honda" to the extent that the Honda "H" on the steering wheel hub was replaced with an American Eagle to add snoot to the package.  It wasn't enough to have a Left Hand drive wheel, the eagle shouted "I have enough money that I can buy an imported car from America".

I know there's some demand for classic US cars in Japan, so you see '64 Impalas and things like that going there, seems kind of weird a guy in Japan would want a US-spec Japanese car but whatever. 

Just hope she's going to a good home.

This, I sold a charger to Japan for an absurd amount over what it was worth.

• Like 1

This, I sold a charger to Japan for an absurd amount over what it was worth.

Same goes for Europe - a friend recently sold a '67 Mustang to a broker who already had a buyer lined up in the UK. They went to his shop and the guy had 2 other Mustangs on a trailer plus a warehouse with dozens of other cars.

• Like 1

Same goes for Europe - a friend recently sold a '67 Mustang to a broker who already had a buyer lined up in the UK. They went to his shop and the guy had 2 other Mustangs on a trailer plus a warehouse with dozens of other cars.

Top Gear covered something like that years ago, but the buyers were British citizens just buying the cars from US lots while on vacation.

When Honda started making sedans here in the USA there arose a hugh demand in Japan for this "American Honda" to the extent that the Honda "H" on the steering wheel hub was replaced with an American Eagle to add snoot to the package.  It wasn't enough to have a Left Hand drive wheel, the eagle shouted "I have enough money that I can buy an imported car from America".

And by the way these cars had a very good full leather interior, so "Toshio Watanabe" was not getting short changed!

I worked at a Hyundai dealership a number of years ago and large amount of the buyers of the new cars were from Korea, so much so they got a sales person who spoke it. From what I was told it was some how cheaper to buy them in the USA than back in Korea and since they were manufacured in Korea they had little trouble shipping them back to home when they were finished with their time in the States.  Once they started making them in the USA they stopped buying.

It's a buyers market!  I turned down an obscenely high cash offer for my 1967 RL411 at the JCCS show last year made simply because the Japanese bidder just wanted to buy a duplicate of the first car he had bought in Japan after he had finally gotten his Japan driver's license.  It's all buyer driven!  I left Japan after having sold my 1955 Chevrolet Bel Aire 2 door V8 3 speed sedan in 1963, so was happy to pick up my 1964 Corvair 4 door sedan in Cheyenne Wyoming, a good trade by my reconning!  The chevrolet just might be crusing the local Japanese street scene today!