• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smoke

• laotsu

• flatcat19

• q-tip

Top Posters In This Topic

We did ostrich one year. Really. It was awful. And stupid expensive.

I've been told it's better if you cook it for a shorter period of time than you would a similar-sized piece of some other meat, like beef. Lots of people tend to overcook it- compared to beef it still looks "raw" when fully cooked because of its higher iron content. It also soaks in flavor pretty quickly, so you don't want to marinate it as long as you would other meats. We tried some last summer and went through the whole spiel... in the end, we went back to the more "traditional" animals. 

Still pricey no matter what- might be worth it for somebody who doesn't want to drastically cut back on meat but still wants to take in less cholesterol and fat. Otherwise, I can't really say I'm sold on it.

The rule around here is... if you make a horrid sound, then scratch and/or shit on the hood of my truck, I will sprint toward you, hack your head off with a parang, kill your friends who watched you do it, stuff your carcass in my deep freeze and bring you out on a festive holiday to have as my dinner. Seems strict, but rules are rules. The bird is really darn good by the way, I just tried a little.

• Like 2