Mid-Atlantic rust collection

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stoked I found this thread. Considered this car  back when MR Bohica had it- Ended up picking up his red one though, this was more of a project then I could have handled. Car looks great though amazing to see how many times it has traded hands and is finally coming through.

Thanks for posting shots of your ebrake relocation. Thats one of the things I really want to do to my dime. Just havent had a chance to, great to see someone who has done it and posted some shots of it.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Glad I found this thread...I've been wondering how its been coming along.  Glad to see someone with the time and resources to build her get a hold of it.

By the way, I'm the guy who did the floors...lol.  I by no means meant for it to stay like that and by no means was going to sell it like that but I wanted to get the car going then slowly restore it as I drove it...the l20b I got with the car was junk though and pissed me off enough that I decided to get rid of it.

I can't believe you were told the floors were solid though.  When I got rid of it I told Mr. Bohica that they were held in with sheet metal screws and that it needed serious floor help.

Sorry for making more work for you though...like I said, was not at all part of the plan. Lol.  Still can't believe Chad said the floors were solid :/

But glad to see it coming along!  Get her done!  By the way, every wire in that car I replaced with a good harness.  The original harness shorted out and everything was burnt up.  The car is also originally from Florida believe it or not and originally had air conditioning...which is actually what caused the fire and most likely its eventual parking.

But keep at it. I'll be staying tuned and next time I'm up in PA I'd like to see it if its running/driving if that's cool.  Will be a very cool little car.

• Like 1

Kyle I'm really impressed with all the work you've put into this car. More then myself or Tyler even thought about doing. I wanted to check back to my original craigslist add to bury the hatchet on the floor pan. I copied and pasted this from the add as follows..

"There are holes in the trunk floor, and the quarters. The floor has been replaced, and the fenders and doors are pretty solid. The interior is all original, and in good shape for 40 years old."

I mentioned that the fenders and doors were solid, where as the floor had been replaced. I did help with the "zippy screwing" of the sheet metal, so I apologize for any inconvenience we might of made. I'll also take responsibility for the stripped header bolt that you had to tap and re drill. Again I'm excited to see the car in the near future, and maybe I'll be in another Datsun again.

• Like 1

Glad I found this thread...I've been wondering how its been coming along. Glad to see someone with the time and resources to build her get a hold of it.

By the way, I'm the guy who did the floors...lol. I by no means meant for it to stay like that and by no means was going to sell it like that but I wanted to get the car going then slowly restore it as I drove it...the l20b I got with the car was junk though and pissed me off enough that I decided to get rid of it.

I can't believe you were told the floors were solid though. When I got rid of it I told Mr. Bohica that they were held in with sheet metal screws and that it needed serious floor help.

Sorry for making more work for you though...like I said, was not at all part of the plan. Lol. Still can't believe Chad said the floors were solid :/

But glad to see it coming along! Get her done! By the way, every wire in that car I replaced with a good harness. The original harness shorted out and everything was burnt up. The car is also originally from Florida believe it or not and originally had air conditioning...which is actually what caused the fire and most likely its eventual parking.

But keep at it. I'll be staying tuned and next time I'm up in PA I'd like to see it if its running/driving if that's cool. Will be a very cool little car.

No worries mate, I was frustrated at the point of that post so I may have come across more harsh than anticipated. Appreciate the kind words though, I'm just learning as I go. Trying to do what I can, hoping for a halfway decent outcome. I'm not entirely sure what happened with the wiring, but somewhere somethings must of gotten mixed up. My good friend(ThreeAndAHalfLiterZ) is looking to do race-car wiring as a living so he was willing to help me. It made more sense to update everything at once rather than use old wires and new relays and whatnot.

8A0F7659-AA54-48FB-90E9-9327EFED4450_zps

teaser pic Keegan sent me of the fuse/relay block slightly pre-wired.

Kyle I'm really impressed with all the work you've put into this car. More then myself or Tyler even thought about doing. I wanted to check back to my original craigslist add to bury the hatchet on the floor pan. I copied and pasted this from the add as follows..

"There are holes in the trunk floor, and the quarters. The floor has been replaced, and the fenders and doors are pretty solid. The interior is all original, and in good shape for 40 years old."

I mentioned that the fenders and doors were solid, where as the floor had been replaced. I did help with the "zippy screwing" of the sheet metal, so I apologize for any inconvenience we might of made. I'll also take responsibility for the stripped header bolt that you had to tap and re drill. Again I'm excited to see the car in the near future, and maybe I'll be in another Datsun again.

Seriously no worries though,its all in the past. I made that post a long time ago and was probably frustrated with the slow progress and other set backs at the time.I am really in no place to put anybody down for anything. I'm sure when I sell it someone will be disgusted with my rudimentary welding skills and craftsmanship among numerous other details. Not to beat a dead horse, but I wouldn't have even said the floors and been replaced, more like strang3majik said temporarily patched.

Since I'm here might as well find something to post about, I don't have a garage so progress has been halted as the mid-atlantic experiences winter but I haven't forgotten about the car.

got some pieces in the mail to weld in once the weather changes.

IMG_9278_zps1191ab48.jpg

The idea for the louvers is behind the passenger side headlight to possibly offer some fresh air to the intake.

I actually just installed the front lower rocker section from alpha. While it was not a perfect fit, for the price I could not complain. I bite the bullet and order the full qtr panel since my current one is more bondo than anything else. I dont have a build on here but I do on the realm. I should be working on it in the next two weekends.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

No test fit, it's the cheapo one that some people said not to get.Made by wolf steel in Canada, so we shall see how much work it takes to make it fit right

I'll be watching so I can see what it looks like. I'd love to buy all my stuff from Dave at Futofab but my bank account says otherwise at the moment.

I'm glad you're saving this one as I've been watching this car for a while.

• 2 months later...

Happy Easter, or 4/20 whichever you're celebrating. Pennsylvania has finally gotten into some nicer weather, so it's time to finish this car. I got a little done on the trunk and rear quarter panel the last couple days.

Re-post of the before shots

IMG_9225_zpsaabe4dfd.jpg

IMG_8847_zps1928573c.jpg

Cut a big hole in the trunk.

IMG_9226_zpsb50155be.jpg

some sheet metal

IMG_9581_zpsa075c7b5.jpg

Killed a wire wheel cleaning up the metal

IMG_9582_zps04852b81.jpg

IMG_9584_zps2bd4c4be.jpg

I guess I don't have a fully cleaned picture, oh well. self-etching primer

IMG_9599_zps297aa547.jpg

Next item to "finish" the trunk was the passenger side rear section of the rear quarter. It was rusted clean through, so I cut it out and the trunk floor behind it that had rusted as well.

IMG_9591_zpsef8bcc2e.jpg

Cut and bent an odd piece to fix the trunk part

IMG_9592_zps0c3cc313.jpgIMG_9594_zpse457086b.jpg

Zinc primer

IMG_9598_zps3c6f3f20.jpg

Panel fit pretty good

IMG_9600_zps7390e3d2.jpgIMG_9602_zps7a882f0c.jpg

Currently still need to fab some pieces to finish out the corner and finish welding, but the forecast looks good for the next week or two. B)

I liked the cost and fit of the wolf steel panels so I went ahead and ordered the front sections of the rear quarter panels as well, since both sides need replaced.(see earlier shot of passenger side) My only compliant with the rear panel is that it does not wrap around to meet the taillight panel(But I knew that when I ordered it)

IMG_9604_zps5682390f.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My laptop died this week, I am using my parents desktop which does not have Photoshop/lightroom. So pictures are straight out of the camera with exposure and such off a bit. Besides that I have gotten some work done

Made some mounts for the fuel cell, welded in

IMG_9607_zps8c9289e3.jpg

IMG_9616_zps0c83b600.jpg

quick patches for the rear seat

IMG_9615_zps8d39e172.jpg

Rockers and wiring are moving up on the list of things that need done, got the local metal shop to bend me up some 18ga sheet-metal using the wolf steel panel as a template

IMG_0120_zpsddc29c21.jpg

IMG_0121_zpscb8f47b2.jpg

they looked awesome until I started to try and test fit them, the angles and heights were all way off, guess I'll be taking another shot using a cross section from the actual rocker that I cut up. so its time to see how deep the rust goes in the rocker.

rear quarter/rockers aren't pretty

IMG_9609_zpsc5ebf1ed.jpg

IMG_9610_zpsf32c395c.jpg

drivers side

IMG_9612_zps09bf0ba0.jpg

IMG_9614_zps2eb551d1.jpg

cut it all out

IMG_0114_zps810938e1.jpg

IMG_0115_zpse523bb41.jpg

IMG_0117_zpsd3a29ce1.jpg

Finding some good metal behind it all was a pleasant surprise. 

IMG_0123_zps02b0eace.jpg

Although using the entire piece I had made wouldn't work, cutting a section to fit behind the front fender would. Since its smaller than it needed to be already it worked nicely

IMG_0127_zpsb37cd937.jpg

also started getting the inner fenders cleaned a little, still got a ways to go though

IMG_0142_zps11a49835.jpg

Wiring mess is getting sorted

IMG_0129_zps0d619af2.jpg

IMG_0128_zps140c9fd4.jpg

wont be needing the factory fuse block anymore so if anybody is interested in it pm me, I don't really know if its worth anything but its in pretty good shape

IMG_0139_zpsa75c442e.jpg

I believe all the fuses are good as well

IMG_0140_zps9902d0ab.jpg

IMG_0141_zpsaa0e260e.jpg

weird spring weather is annoying

IMG_0111_zpsfbf71ad1.jpg

IMG_0143_zpsdfb33d56.jpg

• Like 2

Wow, you are making amazing progress. Nice rust repair jobs.

Glad to see this one being saved.

Btw, If any of your buddies is looking to get a cool 510 too, I have one for sale on ebay and on the classified here on ratsun. SR20 powered too. It will need some of your rust repair expertise.

Keep the updates coming.

• 3 weeks later...

Wiring stuff is almost complete via all of Keegan's hard work 

IMG_0161_zps5fb7532a.jpg

IMG_0176_zps5dd97c96.jpg

IMG_0175_zps57d33483.jpg

pretty much just chipped off all the loose stuff from the fenders and then just coated it in fresh undercoating

IMG_0166_zpsde58a6db.jpg

passenger side required some patches where we removed the battery tray with a hammer as well as where the factory fuel lines came in and rusted. 

IMG_0168_zps863ceaa4.jpg

The frame also had a bit of rust so I did a quick patch there as well

IMG_0169_zps8bb44ba0.jpg

I wasn't too sure if one sheet of 18 gauge was enough so I put a larger sheet over it, then seam sealed the patches and undercoated them.

IMG_0852_zpsb6eb64f6.jpg

ran out of primer and seam sealer, but here is the engine bay side of the patches

IMG_0174_zps44db3b58.jpg

Version 2 of rockers beside the first attempt

IMG_0183_zps837bc5ad.jpg

fit great this time

IMG_0863_zps26eaf34d.jpg

IMG_0868_zpsf6ad2fe6.jpg\

Still want to do more welding on these, but it seems like the either the wire feed motor or the relay for the wire feed motor is dead on my welder :unsure: so kinda stuck for now.

Trunk is pretty much finished, went with black and aqua spatter (trunk paint).

IMG_0859_zpsb161916c.jpg

the finish is really nice and textured, hard to see here. I'm pretty happy with the way it came out.

IMG_0857_zps3b4e7713.jpg

Picked up this air compressor last week for $20, it kinda works needs a new motor

IMG_0156_zpsaa94285b.jpg

speaking of new purchases got some cool wheels to go with all my factory wheels

IMG_0163_zps8bcb9cb4.jpg

14x7.5 +9. Still in the process of cleaning them up, cant decided if I want to polish them or leave them looking machined. Might polish the lips some and leave the faces. Had to clean out the basement to get to the pool supplies, so here's a shot of some wheels in front of my little brother vw golf.

IMG_0866_zps52a2ca05.jpg

the 200sx alloys are for sale if anybody wants them, I personally do not like the way they look. Also pictured are some centerline reps I picked up for fronts. 14x6.5 +0(the 4th is on the 810)

on the subject of wheels I don't think I posted a shot of it but I got new wheels for my daily as well

IMG_0871_zps0dd42363.jpg

18x8.75 +20 with 225/40 R compound Kumhos

Hoping to have the car drive-able by the 1 year anniversary of this thread, we shall see. Need to figure whats up with my welder.

• Like 1

Wow! You're killin it! Nice work!

Nice build keep going!

Thanks guys, you both have some seriously rad builds as well. Josh, I wish I had the skills and machine access you have. Amazing stuff man.

since I'm here anybody have any recommendations on a cheap gas mig welder? I cant really swing the cash for  a miller or lincoln(even used) right now, so I'm looking for a cheap Chinese one to finish my car. Other option is to try and call harbor freight and see if I can purchase a replacement motor/relay. I was looking at this welder on amazon,(free 2 day shipping and only $15 for next day) which is nice since I really want to get back to work. Obviously not that grea,t but some of the features seem reasonable, and the reviews seem halfway decent as well. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00440DV80/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

819GeD9IZlL._SL1500_.jpg

they also have a 220v version for another $150. The description and specs make it seem like its actually better than my harbor freight one, so I may just go with it. Haven't had any luck finding a used one locally in my price range on craigslist either

I went down the cheap Chinese road. Do yourself a favor and buy a Hobart like I did. Welds 10times better and will last. Made on the same assembly line as the Millers. Sell some shit if you have to ;)

x2

Get the miller 211 it's the shit!!!!!!!!