Mid-Atlantic rust collection

Bought the eastwood 175, it's 220v. Also the eastwood 135(110v) is good. Look at the reviews, they speak for themselves. They're cheap and they weld great. Most common issues on cheaper welders are feed issues. But the warranty is great.

eastwood.com

• Like 1
  • Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

x2

Get the miller 211 it's the shit!!!!!!!!  

I went down the cheap Chinese road. Do yourself a favor and buy a Hobart like I did. Welds 10times better and will last. Made on the same assembly line as the Millers. Sell some shit if you have to ;)

Bought the eastwood 175, it's 220v. Also the eastwood 135(110v) is good. Look at the reviews, they speak for themselves. They're cheap and they weld great. Most common issues on cheaper welders are feed issues. But the warranty is great.

eastwood.com

IMG_1045_zps6ca1e159.jpg

cheapest one available at my local tractor supply that was gas ready. also Fin got the harbor freight one working again after I had bought the hobort. So now we have two welders. The Hobart runs off 110v which is kinda nice actually

You've got quite the selection for rims!!! What are you planning to run? I like libres personally, always have.

Looks great keep it up

The libres are great looking, they're 13's though. Still might run them, I'm planning to switch wheels pretty often. Current plan is longchamp xr4's in the rear, centerlines in the front

IMG_1029_zps878a777f.jpg

wrapped in some tiny rubber 165/60, I'm thinking 185/55 for the rears

Just sell some wheels!!

might, you want those 200sx wheels? :thumbup:

Heres the reason I'm currently short on cash. Picked this up for no real reason. It's really clean though

IMG_1011_zps38386831.jpg

1979 Mercedes 280ce, probably gonna part it out.(the 810 just moved to a real shop not sold)

Got some more work done on the rockers

IMG_1026_zps52d496cc.jpg

IMG_1035_zps406e336d.jpg

IMG_1041_zps714e4a3b.jpg

IMG_1014_zps3c0f4f3f.jpg

IMG_1015_zps9160f9a3.jpg

wolf steel panel fit pretty well.

IMG_1017_zps3531a3e0.jpg

Ground down the welds, but I'm thinking I may still go over the edge with some bondo just to really smooth it out

IMG_1043_zpsc3ce9e85.jpg

fender test mount, still need to make small piece that I can weld a nut to for the corner of the fender to mount to the rocker.

IMG_1018_zpsc9e3fee1.jpg

Also decided to use a leftover piece from the wolf steel panel to fix a small rust spot on the fender. Worked better than I thought the leftover piece wasnt big enough to cover all the rust so I just filled the smaller hole with weld

IMG_1030_zps8534786b.jpg

IMG_1031_zpsdf011b18.jpg

IMG_1040_zpsffc14424.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Starting to come together. Some days I miss it, but then I look back at what it all needed. Great job so far Kyle!

Yeah, still got a bit to do.

Nice!

Thanks man

Didn't get a whole lot done on the dime this week, but I did buy another car. A li'l hustler 620 to be specific,found it on craigslist randomly and it ended up being a friend of a friend. oics

IMG_1229_zpsca5c85e0.jpg

IMG_1205_zps26ee12c3.jpg

Currently sitting on 15x10, 15x8 unsure on offset, but I dont really care for how much the rear pokes

IMG_1228_zps3ad90cb8.jpg

IMG_1227_zps25ceb1f9.jpg

trans tunnel, rad support, and lower front frame were cut when the previous owner had a Ls1 and T5 started. All the cut pieces were included so I can weld them right back in.

IMG_1242_zps6246c670.jpg

floors are okay, drivers side needs replaced. Rockers also need work. The frame and bed are in great shape, surface rust all over, but nothing rotten.

IMG_1216_zps35975f81.jpg

IMG_1230_zps8d2d099f.jpg

Bad picture but these fog light/running light covers look too nice to be factory are they?

IMG_1236_zps709c886c.jpg

Also seems like a much newer seat, probably from a 90's hardbody.

IMG_1239_zps07d87f56.jpg

so that's that, truck will be getting a single cam KA from my buddies 240sx coupe.

IMG_1091_zps4a7cf403.jpg

IMG_1248_zps17b877f6.jpg

did fix two small rust spots in the cowl/vent area in the engine bay

IMG_1218_zps2da9c61a.jpg

IMG_1250_zpsec1643a0.jpg

ended up cutting more out of the left spot because I kept burning threw when I tried to weld. also ripped out the rear deck and "custom" speaker set-up. I will probably run rear speakers I just want to clean up the holes and the 40yr old cardboard was junk anyways

IMG_1221_zps952fa6c7.jpg

IMG_1223_zps58406ad8.jpg

IMG_1222_zps8d0a319f.jpg

also dropped the rear sub-frame to paint behind it, sandblast the whole thing, and weld the diff. Possibly replace bushings if someone can find me a retailer with quick shipping and fair prices

IMG_1224_zpsaaa42ac3.jpg

I felt like I was leaving something undone that could be easily addressed, every time I was under the car looking at all the fresh undercoating I would always see the rusty rear end. So hopefully I can get it cleaned up this week.

IMG_1249_zps70ac8c32.jpg

Looking for poly sub-frame mount bushing and mustache bar with quick shipping. I think I might also attempt to slot my cross member to preemptively correct camber once its finally on the ground

oh I also started making this. The car was originally sold in Florida in 1972

IMG_1219_zps10823196.jpg

This car is really coming along. I am so glad to see it getting revived. Nice touch with the Florida license plate tunnel cover. I had named it "Little Miss Sunshine" since it came from Florida and was yellow.

Love the 620 too. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

• 2 weeks later...

This car is really coming along. I am so glad to see it getting revived. Nice touch with the Florida license plate tunnel cover. I had named it "Little Miss Sunshine" since it came from Florida and was yellow.

Love the 620 too. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

I love the tunnel cover! Has a certain Ratsun feel to it and also ties into the origin of the car.

I've seen a bunch of rat rods that used license plates for all sorts of stuff, so I figured why not.

Dude that truck is fricken sweet! I love the patina and the strip on the side

It's pretty rad, I'm excited about getting it together

Happy 4th everyone

I got the drivers side floor mostly sorted out, needs some more welding and seam sealer. Needless to say I learned a lot when I did the floors on the 510 made doing this seem so easy

IMG_1404_zps6358168c.jpg

IMG_1409_zps3f95d2f6.jpg

the rockers are next, might go a similar direction that I went with the car and just cut them out entirely. Then get new metal bent to fit.

The trucks new heart home came home, I haven't much time to research the KA swap in the truck, but everybody seems to just buy the mounts redeye makes. I still want to "finish" the car before I dig into the truck too much.

IMG_1407_zps6d461731.jpg

truck came with the full harness/ECU I just pulled it off to give to my buddy to make a standalone harness.

Much slower progress on the rear end of the 510 than I was hoping, everything got steel bead blasted, and back to me very quickly.Turns out just ordering new bearings and bushings proved to be time consuming. currently waiting one new axle nuts and two more bearings. The control arms bushings are giving me a hard time coming out, I ended up torching the rubber out, but the metal sleeve still will not press/cut out.

IMG_1434_zps1d0dd237.jpg

But I did get the diff welded and back together. I've seen mixed reviews on using the stock r160 with a KA, so we shall see how it holds up to some burnouts.

IMG_1395_zpse409393c.jpg

1/4 inch steel plate pieces I made to add strength

IMG_1397_zps2a2e88e9.jpg

only time will tell

Cut out the rear deck, I figure I'll weld the new piece in after I figure out what speakers I'm going to use and cut holes with it off the car

IMG_1423_zps50d3fb21.jpg

IMG_1424_zpsd9fb163c.jpg

also started painting the "headliner" since I don't think I am going to get another one fabric one. ran out of yellow paint though

IMG_1427_zps89165543.jpg

looking forward to getting the rear end reassembled and the car driving, it looks so sad lately, sitting at the bottom of the driveway in the rain

IMG_1433_zps288b901b.jpg

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Car is on the road! ill dump a couple remaining "build" pictures I have.
Slotted crossmember which actually proved to be less useful than anticipated since I need most of the camber to run the 7.5" wide longchamps and stay low
IMG_1607_zps4b60f730.jpg
also made hard-mounts for the subframe out of 1/4" plate I had laying around. I figured the solid mount would complement the welded rear
IMG_1609_zpsf1bb9324.jpg
IMG_1611_zps51d8dcc1.jpg
IMG_1630_zps9137abfe.jpg
sat a bit low in the rear initially, had to raise the rear about 2.5" to get the tire to roll freely
made a "skid plate" for the exhaust since it drags even with the raised height

IMG_1634_zps8c342f75.jpg
IMG_1633_zpsfa716f94.jpg
first attempt at driving the car did not fair well, couldn't get the clutch to disengage at all. Ended up dropping the trans and finding that the clutch had rusted to the pressure plate. once we got that all sorted out it was "ready" for the road. I left the car with a buddy to get inspected and received this video on my lunch break

and a little more tire smoke, this time with me driving

IMG_0509_zpsfcbeb2aa.jpg

still have a few things that need addressed, mainly exhaust since it drags pretty hard. thinking of making an "exhaust tunnel" along the side of the trans tunnel so I can have plenty of clearance while still running a decent size pipe.(I'm thinking 2"-2 1/4"). Mirrors and rear lights are also very high on the need to do list. Now that the 510 is driving I may start digging into the truck some more

• Like 7

I have the same Hobart, the thing does work for a little wall plug in! its just not the best once you get into thicker frame stuff =(

lovin the thread man, you have a bit of everything going on.

hmmm it had no problem melting the gears in the diff as well as the 1/4" plate I put between the teeth, cant imagine frame is much thicker than that. Nonetheless its been great for me and hasn't given me and issues yet 

Stoked to see this car on the road!!!! I still have a soft spot for it… Way more then I was ready to handle but I love the patina on it.

Nice work!!! Keep it up!!!

Yeah, it ended up being more work than I was fully capable of handling, but I learned a lot and I'm really glad I went for it. Driving it now makes all the headaches and complications seem slightly more worth-while. Still plenty more to do, but it does burnouts.

First "car show". lol we have local sonic meets about 40 mins from my house so I made the trek, turned out to be one of the biggest turnouts of the summer and the car got a lot of looks. 

IMG_0496_zpsb29e1a8a.jpg

also drove it to work a couple times this week

IMG_0498_zps99ffbe4b.jpg

I'm so happy that you got it running, and its now back on the road (legally).

same, still have a lot to do, but driving it is an accomplishment of its own.

Congrats. I am so happy to see this car on the road. It is on its third owner since I had it and I didn't think it would make it. Great work and Enjoy the Ride!

Thanks so much qwik510, I definitely owe you quite a bit of thanks for rescuing the car so many years ago in Virginia(?) and a huge thanks for this awesome plate surround. Looks so rad with my "show" plate I got from a flea market awhile back. I had intended to run this plate as my actual plate, but the provision in the Pennsylvania code that lets you use "period correct" license plates also requiring the vehicle to be registered as a classic of vintage vehicle, which is a process in itself.

IMG_1638_zps01546001.jpg

build a new exhaust to attempt cut back on the dragging. ended up cutting the down pipe before it collected and running dual 1 3/4" pipes. they are finished but I gonna drive it as is for now. I liked the look of the side exit, but it was tougher to keep it tucked to the floor pan.

IMG_1640_zps3b0f2a84.jpg

the old one drug a bit

IMG_1644_zps043b0c9b.jpg

IMG_1645_zps19f8afbe.jpg

I just keep telling myself I can't make it any worse and keep moving forward

• Like 1

I like the dual pipe idea to help with a really low car. I have been thinking about oval pipe as I have seen that used quite a bit from the new cars lately. Never thought of that!

Its hard to tell but the first exhaust I made was crushed 2" round that ended up being more like a 1"x3" oval but the way it hung didn't work that well, the duals only seem to hit at the bend

Love the vintage tag. Keep up the good progress.

Thanks man, always nice to see some feedback on here

took the car to its first show over the weekend, it was a Volkswagen show so it got a lot of looks. :rofl:

first highway rolling shot from my buddy(caught me smiling like a goon) its fun yet freighting to drive

IMG_0525_zpsdaa7ae66.png

also more burnouts

IMG_0542_zps03f3f332.jpg

found a section of stainless 1 3/4" tube at the amish metal shop for like $25 bucks, probably gonna make blast pipe/tips out of it. put a slight bend in it with my hydraulic harbor freight pipe bender(it just crushes the thin stuff)

IMG_0524_zps27990575.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to work on the truck this week, but the shop where I am storing it currently has no power for some reason. Was feeling motivated anyways so I busted out the flash lights and tried to work on swapping over the disc set up the previous owner had purchased. Beebani brackets, d21 calipers from a junkyard, and Isuzu rodeo rotors i believe
IMG_1651_zpsa00bd9d7.jpg
IMG_1664_zps7bb5d5ce.jpg
IMG_1655_zps5b0ea720.jpg
fd1bbd1f-c3b2-4544-984d-4fda1858d88b_zps
I don't have a pic with the caliper mounted because I had to clean up the calipers and ended up buying a replacement for the drivers side which had seized slide pins. Also it seems like the factory mount bolts are too long due to the thickness change of the bracket. I hadn't read of this being an issue, unless I missed it somewhere, but I'll just have to buy some shorter hardware.
before wire-brush/paint
IMG_1668_zps3111d972.jpg
hopefully the power issues are resolved by this weekend so I can actually get started on this thing. I'm going to attempt to have it on the road before fall

probably 60% of the reasons I built this car were because I wanted to burnouts

• Like 2

Idk if anyone cares, but I will say as a disclaimer all the photos in the following post are blurry and out of focus, I apologize. I lent all my good lenses to buddy and am currently using a 30 year old Nikon lens  with an adapter on my canon DSLR.lol

Haha I enjoy watching all the burnout videos. I want to come out to the Mt Joy sonic meets.

I actually haven't been back, but its usually a good turn out with variety of cars. Honetly with the KA and the welded diff this car is so easy to do burnouts in.

IMG_1750_zps62f1690c.jpg

A keen observer may note the large piles of rubber beside my car, from my buddies SR 240sx that had just finished filling the block with smoke

finished up the brake swap, except for bleeding.

IMG_1680_zps6fd5f3dc.jpg

IMG_1684_zps18a17fd1.jpg

also took some stuff off in preparation for getting the KA in.Steering center link, trans cross-member, and drive-shaft all came out

IMG_1687_zps35568117.jpg

This also happened, a friend of friend messaged me on instagram after seeing my car on the road. He said he had a fiberglass cowl hood laying around from an old 510 wagon he had that was partially V8 swapped. He said I could have it for free since it was just laying out behind his shop. I couldn't say no since it was free and I'm glad I didn't. I haven't stopped laughing since I laid eyes on this behemoth

IMG_1762_zpsfba12257.jpg

IMG_1763_zpsc2fadb6f.jpg

IMG_1764_zps90def39f.jpg

its sitting funny since my hood pins don't line up with the holes that are already in it, but I think if I drill new holes it should fit fine. I cant stop laughing at it, I'll probably put it on just for the looks and laughs.

• Like 5