The F.e.R.R.a.R.i effect...

So I searched to make sure this wasn't posted before, I didn't find it, but I did see some horrible horrible things lol.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1959-250-GT-CALIFORNIA-FERRARI-REPLICA-CONVERTIBLE-OTHER-MAKES-HOT-ROD-/151039505981?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item232aa7f63d

SAM_1313.jpg

Gather your rusty Z's up cuz the prices are going UUUUUUUUP now that everyone knows they can be easily converted to a Ferrari!!

-Robert

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 plus years ago there were really good "Ferrari" conversion kits for the 240Z down to the "submerged" radio antenna and rear quarter window blanking plates.  This is crap.  I note that on Miami Vice the actually used a Corvette conversion kit, not a 240Z [because they wanted a convertible that didn't shake itself to death?]

This is a 1959 Ferrari 250 GT California

1959-ferrari-250-gt-california-spyder37.

THIS is their failed attempt at a "replica" ...NO!

SAM_1313.jpg

THIS is a proper replica of a 72 Ferrari GT SPYDER California built off a Corvette chassis. I know the owner and the car well.

004.jpg

003.jpg

put some 15x10 slots and zg's on it, lower it, sell it as convertable 240 z.....throw away ferrari emblems.....sell wires on seperate auction (recoup 50% investment)...stop pertending...no bonus dollars for fake it to make it status....prolly sell faster and for more dough ....... and still can buy disco gold necklace afterwards and a new hair piece

I think thats a real money maker for someone. De-badge it, re-datsun it, sell those wheels to the next sucker down the line and flip that car for a easy couple grand profit. Could get WELL above his asking for a vert in greater nyc in the right season. FL is prob not the best market for a non AC car, half the year you'd be baking in that black plastic interior. 

If it were a one day buy and drive I would be all over it. 

I think thats a real money maker for someone. De-badge it, re-datsun it, sell those wheels to the next sucker down the line and flip that car for a easy couple grand profit. Could get WELL above his asking for a vert in greater nyc in the right season. FL is prob not the best market for a non AC car, half the year you'd be baking in that black plastic interior. 

If it were a one day buy and drive I would be all over it. 

I'd say anyone with common sense would just buy a roadster.

So taste agreeing with yours is common sense? lol
I agree though, think it ruins the flow of the car esp with the top up. Say nothing for the fact since the car wasnt designed as a vert there need to be SERIOUS amounts of chassis reinforcement now that the roof support structure is gone. That doesnt stop people from wanting and paying for them though. Honestly if taste was a prerequisite for datsun ownership this site wouldnt exist. 

A roadster though is a different car altogether. Stock vs stock its smaller, less spacious yet slower, less powerful, has less parts supports both stock and aftermarket, less of a fan base etc... I love roadsters, had a 69 but they are worlds apart from an s30 be it convertible or otherwise.

Idk honestly how people drive ANY clone. I mean your driving a lie whats the objective to fool people? or to constantly have to explain how its not actually that car but some kid of elaborate hoax. It's just sad... 

• Like 1

So taste agreeing with yours is common sense? lol

I agree though, think it ruins the flow of the car esp with the top up. Say nothing for the fact since the car wasnt designed as a vert there need to be SERIOUS amounts of chassis reinforcement now that the roof support structure is gone. That doesnt stop people from wanting and paying for them though. Honestly if taste was a prerequisite for datsun ownership this site wouldnt exist. 

A roadster though is a different car altogether. Stock vs stock its smaller, less spacious yet slower, less powerful, has less parts supports both stock and aftermarket, less of a fan base etc... I love roadsters, had a 69 but they are worlds apart from an s30 be it convertible or otherwise.

Idk honestly how people drive ANY clone. I mean your driving a lie whats the objective to fool people? or to constantly have to explain how its not actually that car but some kid of elaborate hoax. It's just sad... 

I'm more conserend with how weakened the body would be from chopping the top without a rollbar or anything I bet it flexes like crazy. Not saying looks is the issue, but more with how much you're paying for a 'vert Z you could get a roadster with most likely less issues from the mods the PO did.

Oh definitely, there is a guy who used to come through some of the club events with a vert s30. They need a ton of work to not be a wet noodle. The domed shape of the roof and actual boxed rails that come up each side provide a ton of chassis support. I bet Jacking up either the front or rear half of a non reinforced vert s30 you could watch it fold in half lol. 

For the money and time involved there are so many better options. Some people just seem dead set on having a vert s30, can't say I understand it. 

I'm more conserend with how weakened the body would be from chopping the top without a rollbar or anything I bet it flexes like crazy. Not saying looks is the issue, but more with how much you're paying for a 'vert Z you could get a roadster with most likely less issues from the mods the PO did.

Datsuns have "issues"??

-Robert

On one hand, I think it'd be a beautiful car if you took off the Ferrari badging.  On the other hand, I've owned two 2+2 S30's.  Those had more chassis flex than a school bus, so this has got to be even worse.