Round two, Bagged and Boosted RIP

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Small update.

Tackled the last couple rust spots.

Its been to hot and muggy in the shop, don't really feel like welding. So I messed with some fitment issues in the rear. (still don't have my rear wheels) But that's where my wheel will sit within a 1/16th of an inch.

Started talking to jrock and a local guy about sandblasting when I finish the metal work so I can get it all cleaned up and sealed really well with epoxy primer.

20130625_192734_zpse776f61a.jpg

20130625_192742_zpsc5f8b18a.jpg

20130625_192750_zpsb8ae969e.jpg

I was going to leave this spot when I first started this panel, but poking through it with a screwdriver it had to go.....

20130625_193614_zpsbb217ed8.jpg

20130627_152336_zps2152bb2a.jpg

20130627_153750_zps13a95046.jpg

20130627_153759_zps9bbab2a0.jpg

20130628_163955_zpsec5e2d13.jpg

20130628_164058_zps4481f242.jpg

20130628_164126_zps74a9b638.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone here have any advice on prepping the car before spraying with expoxy primer? my trailer fell through last Friday and I haven't gotten it to the blasters yet, and im starting to second guess even needing to blast whats left.

With that said theres still a lot of grime on the bottom, and surface rust in some places. Ive also been using paint stripper and need to make sure all that's cleaned off as well.

Id love to just pressure wash the thing, but obviously that wont work because of rust.

Thoughts? 

Even if I did have it blasted, what steps would you guys use to prep, clean, the surfaces?

You could just use white vinger and water like a 4 to 1 mix. It will take care of surface rust and clean the metal to paint. Scrub with scotch brite let it sit till its dry then wash with clean water dry then paint. And if you havent bought epoxy yet look into spi epoxy great stuff.

I was just watching a video on vinegar water actually, it wasn't clear in that though whether or not it was "safe" to get wet/wash off once it dried though, so just double checking, if I scrub with vinegar water, let it dry, I should then wash the car again with clean water?    If I prepped all my bare metal surfaces with the vinegar water, would it be "safe" to then pressue wash the remaining grime off the bottom of the car?

I just bought my epoxy, its Omni mp170, it was like 150$ for two quarts, if the spi stuff is that much better I could always return this stuff?

I was looking at some of the rust prep stuff eastwood sells but, someone was telling me vinegar water does essentially the same thing? and they have so many products I didn't know what the hell I was looking at afterawhile

Yea vineger water does the same thing as rust prep. It converts the rust or removes the surface rust. I would pressure wash first then do the vineger wash and yes after it dries just wash with clean water and dry with something towel etc. Yes if you could return the omni do it. Spi epoxy is like a 160ish for two sprayable gallons and it lays down so nice and smooth.