Round two, Bagged and Boosted RIP

Im not 100% sure yet, but as im playing with these calipers and mounting brackets, it is starting to appear that the only way the caliper will clear the car, is if its on the bottom of the control arm.... if i go to far one way on the top, itll be in the way of the shock, to far the other way and it will hit my bags/ car.... I wont be 100% sure until i get the subframe bolted in tomorrow and can mock it all up in the car, but does anyone see any immediate problems with running a caliper upside down?

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Brake bleeder on the wrong side, ebrake cable difficulty, & hydraulic line and ebrake cables potentially more likely to snag or be damaged.  Otherwise, no reason you can't...

No ebrake cables, but the line would come off the bottom making it potentially close to the ground, hadnt considered that.

It can be easier to route the ebrake cable...

I missed what brakes your using?

Josh-

I got a whole 200sx rear axle from frank when he had his big garage sale thing over the summer.  The rotors fit, and the bracket will work after i enlarged the center hole about 3/16th all the way around and drill out new bolting holes at whatever clocking position i end up at. the problem is the caliper, it seems awfully big

I was mainly wondering about functionality of the caliper, seems to me its just a hydraulic piston so it shouldnt care how its clocked right?

Ill know more tomorrow or thurs when the subframe is finished and in, mounting it on the bottom would be worst case, just seeing what you guys thought.

wow looks awesome ..... are u not baggin this one?   i been looking for a old pic of your old front struts on the blue car ....

Yeah it's gunna be bagged, I totally forgot you were lookin for a pic, when I get home I'll drop one of the top hats and get you a couple pics of the strut

cans or bellows?  i totally should go and look but im lazy as fuck ... i got a bum leg so forgive me...lol

double bellows in the back, aerosport in the front. Im never touching cans again in my life, those things suck.

Its pretty simple really, stock struts shortened a few inches for mr2 inserts. Then i made plates that slide over the tube and have mounting holes for the bag (you can buy the plates but fuck that), as well as a slot for the air inlet. Those get welded on 3 and 3/4 inches from the top (bag fully collapsed is 4 inches), then i slid the bag on bolted it down and made another plate for the top. the bolt holes are the same, only differece is the center hole is smaller becasue its not going over the hole strut. the stock bearing goes on next and that rides up against my camber plates.

20140312_184304_zpse0bf669e.jpg

20140312_184324_zps64c34dae.jpg

20140312_184336_zpsd0463142.jpg

Id love to be able to go lower, shorter struts and drop that plate down..... but as you can you see it would hit the wheel and tire. cant push the wheel out farther cause its already flush... i guess thats just a drawback to 8s in the front.

lol cans are worse then hydraulics....... my buddy had them on a civic and i was like ... thanks kind sir im never riding in your car again ...... i dont care if it can lift its leg..

..man awesome pics... looks like  i will be building another set of zx struts...kinda like the idea of swapping back and forth ... (more likely i will just buy a ratty 4 dr for the struts once i step over them ten billion times)

Looking really clean so far- glad to see you going with the UAS bags on the front!  How low will they let you get when fully deflated?  I've had a bunch of people asking me about bagging their 'dimes, and I'd love to give them a reference for this method.

Looking really clean so far- glad to see you going with the UAS bags on the front!  How low will they let you get when fully deflated?  I've had a bunch of people asking me about bagging their 'dimes, and I'd love to give them a reference for this method.

Currently ill be really close to settting fender lip on wheel lip. However if your running the right combo of parts theres no reason you couldnt tuck 15s and set the crossmember on the ground. My problem is with 8s in the front it pretty much fills the whole wheel well i dont have any more room to section the struts again and drop the bag down farther.

that isnt all the way down in the back, the jack got stuck. but becasue of my issues in the front the rear wont go as low as it "can" anyways because i have to make it match the front aired out do it looks level and even

20140312_190344_zps4c49c429.jpg

20140312_191040_zps7af739a2.jpg

20140315_130925_zpse4ead39c.jpg

20140313_155159_zpsd9467cee.jpg

20140315_124744_zps551f8a8c.jpg

20140316_135604_zps81016741.jpg

20140316_173254_zps26473b8b.jpg

20140316_173329_zps0b510391.jpg

• Like 1

Im also quite pissed my front wheels are single bolt pattern and the rears are multi. They were supposed to be both single, but after it took 6 months to even get the stupid things at the time i decided against trying to send em back.

So... im conisdering having someone whose really good at tig fill them and weld them up... its sort of a big risk tho.. im not sure yet.

warning warning warning..... those wheels may be anodized clear and will need to be stripped to get a clean weld ... i maybe drill more holes in front.... i wouldnt try welding them ...id rather wait a few monthes to get the right ones since the cars not close to being on the road....

• Like 3

warning warning warning..... those wheels may be anodized clear and will need to be stripped to get a clean weld ... i maybe drill more holes in front.... i wouldnt try welding them ...id rather wait a few monthes to get the right ones since the cars not close to being on the road....

Good call i hadnt thought about that. ill probally just leave them until i can afford something legit.

question ..... the way u are running the rear control arms .... are u filling the bag from the bottom ... ie mounting the bag upside down ?....

Thats how they were mounted in the old car, but for ease of running airlines this time im going to fill from the top, the bag sits right in the spring pocket at the top pretty much center, so im gunna drill a couple holes for mounting, and make a notch in between those to get a 90 degree air fiting under my seat if that makes any sense at all.

Edit, i didnt really get why you asked until i looked at the picture, the only reason im using that plate with all the holes on the bottom is beacuse i already had them and it beat cutting out new plates just so they didnt have holes.