So, how does a guy decide?

I've got Datsun fever. In fact, I have always admired 240, 260 and 280Zs, as well as the 620 trucks. My dilemma is that there is currently several project choices in my area, all for very resonable amonuts of money. There is a pair of roadsters (65 and 67), a 240Z and a B210 to choose from. I am really leaning toward the B210 because I see so few of them anymore. It's also a complete car and the lowest cost of the 3 choices. The roadsters are pretty incomplete with one being just a body. The 240Z kinda falls in between. I'm pursuing the B210 first as I think it's the best choice for my first Datsun. But how do you NOT buy them all?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The question I ask is do you need a back seat? A: Yes B210, No: Either

Are you wanting to go fast or just have fun? A: Fun. B210 or Z fast easier in a Z and has more aftermarket solutions to suspension.

I have a Z and love it, What year B210? I grew up driving 210s and love them, and am really wanting a 210 to be my daily! 

Any pictures?
I agree with Banana while the roadster is cool it will be the most expensive and frustrating out of all of them.

Roadsters will bleed your wallet dry if they aren't no matter how complete. Go for the B or Z

how much you got?  This the main factor 2nd..how's your mechanical skills and fabrication skills ..the more yu do the more you save 3rd. do you have a place to work on your car(s) 4th. Do you have time 5th. what do you see with the car, a race car, a trailer queen, a DD, a track car or both. 6th..have you driven any of those cars? Good luck.

The Z's EASILY have the most parts available for repairs and restoration. The 510 coming in second, but that's not on your list.

The Roadsters are prohibitively expensive when looking for nice replacement parts. So if you want a roadster, find one that's complete and not missing anything. Paint and body work are the same for all cars, but good parts is where the roadsters will kill you. Especially when it comes to chrome and trim.

The B210 is the bastard child of the lot, and least desirable. Finding parts will likely be an issue.

Go for the B210, of the three it is easily the easiest to work on and keep reliable. Also it has a backseat. If your single this may not seem like much now, but later you will find it very useful for keeping the car for the long run. No getting rid of the two seater because a kid is on the way discussions.

how much you got?  This the main factor 2nd..how's your mechanical skills and fabrication skills ..the more yu do the more you save 3rd. do you have a place to work on your car(s) 4th. Do you have time 5th. what do you see with the car, a race car, a trailer queen, a DD, a track car or both. 6th..have you driven any of those cars? Good luck.

I'll say my funds would be the average working guy trying to put together something for fun. My mechanical skills are probably a little better than the average. I prepped and painted cars for a living in my teens to early 20s. My current job often requires me to fabricate parts for machinery. I have a two car garage that once housed my 72 Monte Carlo project, so a Datsun should fit fine. As far as time, the Datsun project will probably replace the time I used to spend playing in a band.

I see the car as something to drive to local cruises and car shows and maybe involve my son in on the resto. I did drive a 280Z or two back in my body shop days. Never even been in a B210 though. I'll sit in one on Saturday and hopefully get some pics to share.

Go for the B210, of the three it is easily the easiest to work on and keep reliable. Also it has a backseat. If your single this may not seem like much now, but later you will find it very useful for keeping the car for the long run. No getting rid of the two seater because a kid is on the way discussions.

The only concern with the B210 is parts. The 240Z would be easier to find parts for, but also needs more parts from the guy's description. The whole dash is missing. I'm trying to get him to send me more pics. The B210 on the other hand is said to have been running til the day it was parked. Oh, and the it's a '77 B210.

I like this statement,,,, and unless you need something big that would be hard to ship, the b210 guys on here could probably help you find anything you need..

• Like 1

Z car is gonna be a lot easier and fun to drive there not hard to make them as fast as you want plus parts, engines & trans are easy to find.

How about a B210 with a KA? 1000lbs lighter than a Z. Although a 210 with a KA would be the best on that regard.

I may be a wee bit biased though... :lol:

My biased opinion says get the 240Z! My unbiased opinion says to get the one you like the looks of best. You can always throw a different suspension or drivetrain in the car, but you can only change it's styling so much. If it were me and I liked both cars equally, the deciding factor would be how much rust I find on them. The better condition car would be the one going into my garage.

How about a B210 with a KA? 1000lbs lighter than a Z. Although a 210 with a KA would be the best on that regard.

I may be a wee bit biased though... :lol:

A 240z weighs about 2200-2500lbs depending on the year so your saying a B210 weighs 1400-1500lbs? Why aren't more people picking these up over Z cars then?

260z & 280z since road regulations more safety equipment had to be added the 280z weighed in about 2700-2800 but also depends on the year I've seen people have a much lighter 280z without taking much out.

B210 are lightweight but not that much lighter with a KA24 or a SR20 they can be pretty fast handling wise not better than the Z it all comes down to what the OP likes and what his goals are.

My .02... taking a project from derelict to get-in, turn-the-key, go-to-car-show status takes time and money.  And these cars will require plenty of both.  Which one will you drive more when you are finished?  Which one will bring a better return on your investment if you ever decided to go in a different direction?