Mystery 521

Dattokai

I copied the first image to my desktop, then asked for Properties.  3041 X 2028 pixels, 740 kB.  Way too much.  Set the camera to 1024 X 768 or lower.  That's plenty for online viewing. 

I have century link, and them photos lock me up every time.

I don't normally have issues.

I updated with new photos in the second post. I made them smaller by 20%, they're 922 x 615 now. 

I also made the photos in the first post 922 x 615.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is where the VIN number is on the frame of a 521.

Close view.

SN521Close.jpg

Farther out, for reference.

SN521Far.jpg

And this what it looks like with the cab in the way.

SN521Wcab.jpg

Thanks for the reference. Is there anywhere else with the vin tag like the ones on the door or the engine bay? I want to know the year. 

I have five Datsun 521 pickups, and a cab for a sixth.  The serial numbers go from 207,797 to 567,872.  The date manufactured goes from 09/69 to 5/71.

The VIN is located in three places.  The frame, see pictures above.  The tag in the engine compartment, center of the cowl, and on the door post, drivers side, just above the door catch.

The month and year of manufacture is only on the door tag.  If yours is missing, I would think a pretty good guess could be made of the month and year of manufacture by the sequence of the VIN number.

• Like 2

I have five Datsun 521 pickups, and a cab for a sixth.  The serial numbers go from 207,797 to 567,872.  The date manufactured goes from 09/69 to 5/71.

The VIN is located in three places.  The frame, see pictures above.  The tag in the engine compartment, center of the cowl, and on the door post, drivers side, just above the door catch.

The month and year of manufacture is only on the door tag.  If yours is missing, I would think a pretty good guess could be made of the month and year of manufacture by the sequence of the VIN number.

Thanks for the information! The tag on my door was removed. I do however still have the one in the engine bay, I will take a photo of it later and post it.

M3Brd2K.jpg

The L521 was only made for one year. The first year, '69. It's also the last year for the J13 motor thus only L521 and not PL521 which had the l16 motor in '70.

Production was May '68 #000001 to Sept. '68 #038554.... Placing your production #34744 at about mid August '68 assuming they produced the same number per month.

Oct. '68 #038555 to June '69 #180000

It would seem that the '69 production year ran from May of previous year to the current year June..