Need help How can I be sure my 620 will pass smog?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm having trouble posting pics. It keeps telling me that their to big. Imma keep trying. Another thing I took my truck out for a spin and everything was fine. No white smoke or anything just a few exhaust leaks. Then I noticed the temp going all the way up so I pulled over and parked it. As soon as I parked it (with out turning it off) the temp went back to normal. So I took off back home and it went back up. Parked it outside my house and again temp dropped back to normal. Has this happend to anyone before?

of course, we've had experienced overheating.  Any coolant leak, check thermostat, how's your timing - is is retard?, carb adjustment too lean? low on coolant, do you have coolant in the reservoir,  check your oil to make sure it is not mixed with coolant/water/oil, hopefully the headgasket is okay, how old is the radiator - you may want to do a pressure check..., belt too loose? how's your oil pressure, bad oil pump can also cause car t overheat..you have to check these things b4 you spend any more money..find out why it is overheating and fix it b4 you smog...this is why I don't buy cars made after 1975...

• 11 months later...

Can you find a small shop that does smog, make an appointment and RUN the shit out of your truck, get it nice and hot, get to the shop right on time and hopefully get it tested while hot. i did that with a bmw i had in cali and it barely passed but it did pass 

another thing to do, if everything else looks good. replace cat converter right before smoging it. if the one on it is getting old, you r goin to have to do it eventually anyhow. i would even go as far to take it right back off and save it till next smog.

This is how I do it lol! and they run smoother with the anti detonation plunger removed.

This is based on my experience in Oregon.

The only way to be sure, is to have it tested. 

Try to make it as close to stock as you can.  Tune it up, set valves, timing, the whole thing.  If it fails, you can take that information that you get, and fix, or make changes.  Tell us what DEQ told you, and we probably can make suggestions.

Am I the first to notice that somebody bumped this thread exactly 1 year after the last post, and others picked up the conversation as though it was still going?

I thought I was tripping.  I had to go back and check time stamps like 5 times.