A noobish beginning

I just acquired a 69 510 with no motor or trans. So its my blank canvas so im going with the ka24det swap because there is a fair bit of documentation on it. Now keep in mind im new to the 510 but instantly fell for her true love at first sight haha. I need to make the car drive able as soon as i can with the best quality work and least amount of cash so i can use it to drive to work so i can put some real high dollar parts into her. The car needs a bit of love but a solid foundation for a good build in my eyes. To see some picks click >  http://imgur.com/a/nihEO#0  < let me know what you think of it at this point!

So if you have any tips to give me before i really get into the build im all ears!!!

Im a bit nervous about this project!  :sick:  be being a noob and all feel free to poke me with a stick if im being stupid  :poke:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

why is the firewall hacked to shit? but overall looks like a good starting point do you already have the ka? what turbo and mani do you plan to run? do you know how to do wiring work? you have a long road ahead of you 

Haha fire wall is so far back because the previous owner was doing a V8 swap. He had a V8 in it fit ok and all but i am looking for some more stability. I do not have a motor yet but i have been looking for one like crazy but there is many other things i can work on before the motor is found. All the front steering needs to be redone bushings are all bad and the drag bar is bent from when it was moved. I can doing the wiring no problem with a wiring diagram for the ka i believe i have one but if not im sure i can find one online. Motor will get a complete rebuild but probably remain stock till i get the money to spend. Yeah i know the road is long and not only long but its bumpy. 

I just acquired a 69 510 with no motor or trans...... I need to make the car drive able as soon as i can with the best quality work and least amount of cash so i can use it to drive to work so i can put some real high dollar parts into her.

Im a bit nervous about this project! :sick: be being a noob and all feel free to poke me with a stick if im being stupid :poke:

Nervous.... and well you should be. Even if you had a stock motor and transmission this is a long range project. You had better have a daily driver right now. "the best quality work and least amount of cash" these terms are mutually exclusive. You want quality... you pay for it. You want cheap... you get crap.

so0e2bZh.jpg

jAoVYFgh.jpg

Friggin' roll bar fashion statement and you have trouble getting in and no possibility of a back seat. Where are the peddles, seats, speedometer, where are the clutch and brake masters going now? wiring for the head, tail and marker lights? window wind ups, door handles?

Looks like it's completely gutted for drag racing and this is what you should do with it. This is too far from street able.

Oh man lots of comments haha 

Nervous.... and well you should be. Even if you had a stock motor and transmission this is a long range project. You had better have a daily driver right now. "the best quality work and least amount of cash" these terms are mutually exclusive. You want quality... you pay for it. You want cheap... you get crap.

Well my wording there was terrible i meant when replacing the suspension and steering it will be with mostly stock parts instead of fully adjustable to save some cash. Looking at the different options for motor mounts trans mounts and other things like that and i know a place i can get most of the stuff im missing like the xmember, up in the redding/shasta lake area. 

Friggin' roll bar fashion statement and you have trouble getting in and no possibility of a back seat. Where are the peddles, seats, speedometer, where are the clutch and brake masters going now? wiring for the head, tail and marker lights? window wind ups, door handles?

Looks like it's completely gutted for drag racing and this is what you should do with it. This is too far from street able

What troubles getting in? Who needs a back seat im not a taxi. I plan on making the tunnel smaller by a few inches so my feet fit. The lights will be easy to do thats now a problem. The windows roll up just fine handles are not on it they are in the garage with the bumpers, original drive line, the doors are going to have electric door poppers on it because its shaved handles.

Well today im making the full on parts list. I hope theres enough paper im my notebook :)

Might even start the removal of the rear suspension to clean it up and make it nice replace some bushings and bearings.

Just not a fan of roll bars. Waste of space and everyone does them different with different quality and theory... seen them simply welded or bolted to the floors and range from 'better than nothing' to 'back breakers'. Fashion statement on a street car.  

I have no opinion about them i have not ridden in a 510 without the rollcage so i dont know what thats like i have ridden passenger in 3 of them at autocross but all 3 were caged. I dont see a point in cutting it out of the car if it get in the way it will be removed.

The body looks good and straight, but you should consider losing the cage. A few reasons to remove the roll bar would be more room to work and play in the car, less dead weight carried high up in the car affecting handling and costing you horsepower, and should you ever smack your head up against it you.ll probably pass out with a concussion, that may be the one time you'll  be glad you had it. Pull it and sell either to a racer or scrapyard. Are those bits in the trunk for wheelie bars or part of the cage?

Looks like it should be a fun project for you Maybe an L28 since you have the room now, cheap and easy.

Was looking at the vg30 swap but was a bit unsure. What motor do you recommend datzenmike i have not bought a motor or motor parts yet because i was not positive the ka was the one. I was looking into the ka24det, sr20det, and vg30... but im open to any suggestions.

FINALLY, a noob who doesn't say he's going to drop in an SR20 right off the bat! I commend you for that.

With that said, the KA24 is a great motor. The VG30 is also a great motor. The KA will be easier to install though. The SR20DET is a crap-ton of work. Easily double the work of installing a KA and VG. Plus with the KA and VG you can install them as is for the time being, and then turbo them later if you want to. Lets you get a lot of work out of the way now, then if you're still in need of more power you have the time to research and buy parts while the car is still drivable. The VG30 is one of the most reliable engines ever made, seriously. There's also a TON of options with them, like different alternator brackets, different intakes/exhausts, oil pans, etc, due to how many different vehicles they were used in over the years. Plus parts are stupid cheap, and available everywhere.

So in your opinion yellowdatsun i should go with a vg30? Im going to look up what all is needed for the vg30 swap just to compare for the time being cant go out side and work on the car just sprayed a hornets nest now they are all pissy. Oh an when you do a vg30 swap do people normally use the vg30e or what?

Edit: I think i will stick with the original ka24de plan. I can get a motor from the local picknpull from a late 90's early 2000's altima or a older 240sx.

the altima one wont work, its a FWD KA.

I cant believe that skipped my mind durrrr :poke:

Thanks for pointing that out would have sucked to get to pick in pull and see the motors in the car all wrong haha.

Man that really limits where i can get a ka from. Have a wanted add up on craigslist hoping some one wrecked there car for me. :P Theres a 2 240sx's at the pick in pull 22 miles from my house a 93 and a 90. Was hoping to get a obd2 ka but oh well. If you know anyone selling their used ka let me know people :thumbup:

Im not afraid of a bit of a challenge you guys will see of the next couple years this car will be a fantastic car. the flares on the back are fiber glass on metal with bondo on it should come off with a little persuasion. 

i think its a great thing. no project is too big, But you gotta want it and dont loose that determination, I love challenges :)