A noobish beginning

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FINALLY, a noob who doesn't say he's going to drop in an SR20 right off the bat! I commend you for that.

With that said, the KA24 is a great motor. The VG30 is also a great motor. The KA will be easier to install though. The SR20DET is a crap-ton of work. Easily double the work of installing a KA and VG. Plus with the KA and VG you can install them as is for the time being, and then turbo them later if you want to. Lets you get a lot of work out of the way now, then if you're still in need of more power you have the time to research and buy parts while the car is still drivable. The VG30 is one of the most reliable engines ever made, seriously. There's also a TON of options with them, like different alternator brackets, different intakes/exhausts, oil pans, etc, due to how many different vehicles they were used in over the years. Plus parts are stupid cheap, and available everywhere.

Agree totally with everything said here. One of the early VG30s... VG30E. KA would be a lot easier and makes almost the same power but you can't beat the VG's 3 liter torque.

I'd say cut your losses and move on. That car is just too far gone. 

Yes, if wanting a quick project for a DD. This is going to take a lot of work and money.

youre going to be nickle and dimed to death.  

in the end, youre going to see a car that looks just like your finished car that is being sold for half of what you dropped into yours.

All Datsun projects are like that, this one just more so.

Hey have not been on here today been a long day. I just ordered a bunch of bearings from energy suspension parts. Going to take all the suspension out of the car and clean it up and find a place to have it powder coated if you know a good place in Sacramento let me know.

Please not Poly bushings.

Why not? Your not a fan of polyurethane? I placed the order on hold so you can tell me why not haha. And wheres a good place to buy some rubber bushings?

Edit: Never mind just read some ratsun reviews and you guys say they are noisy and wear out the metal parts to. Im looking for some rubber bushings now thanks for the heads up mike. My friend has polyurethane on his jetta and its fine but i trust your guys experience with products. To amazon to find the rubbers haha

I dont see a point in that at all im not restoring a datsun here i dont want the original seats or dash or anything like that so parts car is a waist of money. Later down the line if i fell like doing a restored datsun ill buy a stock 510 and start there. Now back to the question of is there a good place to buy new rubber bushings for the steering parts?

Rubber can grip both moving parts and give or twist whereas polly can't because it's too stiff. So one side is going to slide against the metal part. This is going to squeak and wear. Won't wear out metal but holes will become oval in the polly. Rubber also absorbs vibration and harshness. Only a race car would need every slight amount of suspension 'give' or softness removed in the interest on handling on a race track. Polly is just one more thing that work on the track but does not translate over for the street very well.