is there anyone who makes mounts?

RudyV

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a l16 then owner before me swapped in v6 ford so tore off mounts for l16 now I'm putting in L20 I am just going to slip it in with original motor mounts and make sure it fits good. Make template. And find someone who can fab metal around my area.

Well I know the J13 came in both the 68 and 69 521s, so the first choice is the winner.

The '68 was still a 520. '69 was the first year 521, still had the J13 and was called an L521. '70 was the first year L16 motor and were called the PL521.

The '68 was still a 520. '69 was the first year 521, still had the J13 and was called an L521. '70 was the first year L16 motor and were called the PL521.

I have personally seen a 1968 521, Von owns one, I know him as JJ, he stretched the hood fenders and inner fender wells to install a V8 in it to tow his 311 race car around, bananahamock knows him.

This is copied from the Wikipedia.

The last sentence is why I posted this.

The 521 was the facelifted version of 520, with a so-called "flat-deck" style. This meant a flattened bonnet and front fenders as well as a new grille design.[2] It used the Nissan J engines (the previously mentioned J13 or the larger J15, rated at 77 hp) and later had a 95 PS (70 kW) Nissan L16 engine, always with a straight rear axle. The 520 strongly resembles a Datsun 410/411 from the front, since it shares most sheetmetal with that car. The fender emblems said "Datsun 1300", "Datsun 1500" or "Datsun 1600" (depending on engine fitment). Van/delivery van (V521) and double cab (U521) versions were available. It was manufactured from 1969–1972, preceded by the 520 and followed by the 620. The 521 was the first compact half-ton pickup sold in the American market, in 1968.

• Like 1
Have you thought about posting a WTB thread in the appropriate place for a set? You can still pull them out of junkyards... or maybe someone has a set sitting on their shelves. It would be easier and probably cheaper to get a set shipped to you.

Will post one tonight. But most likely will head down to a fab shop in the morning. So if nothing really comes up till then it would be okay.

if your needing the motor mount plates ( L series ) that are welded to the frame, I got a set cut off already. LMK

a pic would help,  :thumbup:

got to agree with Mike, I've had a 68 520 w/ J motor and got a 69 521 w/ the J. I'll check the tag today and see what it has to say. 

I don't trust the info in Wikipedia, anyone can change it around, sory Wayne 

• Like 1
Thats the beauty of Wikipedia... if you know its wrong, change it :)

got enough stuff already to do, I own a few Datsun's which need more attention, plus  don't need to add to the pile of things to do list. Besides Wiki has people to correct that info.  :thumbup:

^_^

The guy Wayno speaks of had every year and model 520/521 truck built ,,,,, not over time ,,,,, all at once..  :blink:

And like the majority of real Datsun fanatics he`s a bit "eccentric" so  he doesn`t do the internet..

But believe what ever you want......

Rudy,,,  Do you still need measurements ? or are you going to buy 420620`s brackets??

• Like 1

At this point model year, especially for a serialized production which had numerous changes throughout, hardly matters.

The clear difference between a 520 and 521 denotes they were a different model, and 520s were produced into both the 1968 Model and Calendar year.  521s began being built in the 1968 Calendar year.  However, items required by changing FMVSS and didn't always get applied on vehicles until the CALENDAR year, which means that it's very difficult to establish a core difference between model years.  Emissions standards were required to be applied to the model year, not the calendar year.  Changes to the EPA rules were published at least 2 years in advance.  FMVSS changes were not.

1968 was the year that the Motor Vehicle Air Pollution Control Act of 1965 went into effect- it went into effect for the MODEL year, so any vehicle marketed as a 1968 would have to meet the standard, irregardless of it being produced in 1967 or 1968. 

Side markers are an oddity.  You'll note that '68 510s have side marker lights, but '69 521s have REFLECTORS.  That's because the FMVSS 108 changed.  For all vehicles built after Jan 1, 1968, were required to have side marker lights OR reflectors.  Prior to this, no side markers were needed at all.   The standard changed for Jan 1 1970, which required lights AND reflectors.  This causes an odd situation, where you have PL521s with side reflectors.  They're 1970 models, but don't meet the 1970 FMVSS standards.

But what does that mean for "1968 521s"?  Damn near impossible to tell- the only indicator on the vehicle is the emissions sticker on the firewall.  But here's a bugger of a dilemma:  1968 and 1969 emissions standards were EXACTLY THE SAME.  They changed in 1970 to a revised standard, and again in 1972, 1973, 75, 77, 80, 81, etc.

This isn't unique.  The "1972 Datsun 620".   It was advertised and marketed as a 1973 model, but it was labelled and certified as a '72, and frequently got labelled as a "72.5".  The funny thing was, it actually met 1973 emissions standards.  But it wasn't CERTIFIED as meeting 1973 emissions standards.  Hence the "1972 Model Year Emissions" sticker under the hood... which is the ONLY way to ID a '72.5 620.

The '68 521 is probably a similar example.  It simply came out way early in the calendar year, and dealers might not have known what to call it.  It was labelled as a '68, per the emissions sticker.  And followed 1968 taillight rules.  '68 521s had the smaller 520-style taillights.  1970 used the large ones.  I've seen a '69 with the large ones (J13, reflectors on the sides, large taillights) but hell, I don't know if they were original or not.

• Like 3