MIG Welder... YEAH!!

Last year I figured I'd better get something out of my yearly little bonus. So I watched until a mig welder was on sale and bought it. And... put it in the corner of the spare bedroom.... and kind of forgot about it... since last Aug! Well, I didn't really have a project and winter was coming. OK winter wasn't for another 3-4 months I just lost interest in stuff, I admit it.

Well I just cut a clutch fan off and was worried about the pulley coming loose it shouldn't but...

So I moved all the junk out of the way and dragged the box outside and started putting it together. Pretty neat little package. My son the electrician got me an adapter plug for the drier receptical, (and wired it up for me) and after he left I gave it a whirl. Holly shit!!! First weld was a perfect little tack that looked like a rivet. Damn, what have I been missing this past year??? This thing is absolutely friggin' amazing. You could weld tin foil with this thing!!! Yeeehaaaw!!!

220 volt 180 amps. Says you can weld aluminum if you use a thick wire but does suggest a spool gun. Maybe get a bottle this year... hmmm. My 220 amp stick welder blows................. holes in everything.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/welder003Large.jpg[/img]"]welder003Large.jpg

Is this what it feels like to be Mike Klotz when he gets a new machine to work with?????????? I like it.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wait til you try to butt weld two sheets of 22ga after you cut out a rust hole. On second thought, don't try that and just live in blissful ignorance, never to experience the hair pulling fun of trying to weld two thin sheets together without warping or blowing through, and with full penetration.

Just wait til you try to butt weld two sheets of 22ga after you cut out a rust hole. On second thought, don't try that and just live in blissful ignorance, never to experience the hair pulling fun of trying to weld two thin sheets together without warping or blowing through, and with full penetration.

Yea, It gets real shitty when you think you have the bull by the horns. And he turns on ya. Welding is fun but it takes awile to get any good at it. One small rivet size tack is fun.:D Post up after you try some welding on datsun sheet metal:lol:

Yea, It gets real shitty when you think you have the bull by the horns. And he turns on ya. Welding is fun but it takes awile to get any good at it. One small rivet size tack is fun.:D Post up after you try some welding on datsun sheet metal:lol:

Have never used one. Experience with stick only and this has to be better. Hey I'm the NOOB now!!! Your point is well taken.

It's amazing how a quarter size hole can turn into "okay, just a little more" and eventually "maybe I should just replace this whole panel up to the seams :D:o

I would suggest getting a light welding jacket with long sleeves. Yes it gets warmer then a t-shirt but after welding for a while you will wish you had after you treat the burns.....kinda like a sun burn. And a good auto tinting hood like Speedglas or something like that. And yeah it takes some time welding good. I have been doing it since I was around 10 years old and taught myself since my dad didn't know either. Might I add that if your local high school has a welding shop to stop in and ask if they teach after school classes. I know mine does and its full of older fellas. Good Luck!

Is this what it feels like to be Mike Klotz when he gets a new machine to work with?????????? I like it.

That's funny! You gave Paula a good laugh too!!!

Each knew machine will get you thinking about all the new options you have!!

Nice score! I can relate to the part where you left it in a box since Aug. Not so much with a welder...I'd have been all over that......but I still have NIB (New In Box) tools around the shop. Ones I bought...just in case :) Kinda bugs some people :)

Yup, that's what came with it. It also has an adapter for using larger reels. Regulator for gas bottle. Maybe I should watch the CD.

You don't need to watch no stinkin CD. Just go out and weld shit together. Do get a bottle of argon.

I'll do both:D:D Plenty of scrap round here to practice on. I did work at a welding/machine shop for two years and even stick welded for a month of 8 hr days. Does not make me a pro, and that's for sure. Wish I had had this when I was putting my 4X4 together.

So this is like loosing my cherry all over again. God, I need a cigarette!:D

get the straight up argon, that way you can switch the roll to aluminum and then do other stuff, and youll need different wire when you have gas. the stuff you have now is most likley flux core. have fun welding junk together. its a great way to practice. ima sheet metal wiz, and i taught myself to weld too!! now i have a tig welder in my shop, but the wire feed still gets lots of use.

I bought nearly the same welder, just the newer lincoln casing. I suck, lol. Never welded in my life, but I'm learning. So far I've only done exhaust stuff, and tacked a few things together to take ofer to my friend's house to get tig'd. I wish I had taken metal shop in school, lol.

I love making shit. Specially is it serves a need. (even better if it works :D) A tool or a part that fits and does it's job, made with your own hands is very satisfying. We have intelligence and opposable thumbs, the perfect tool makers.

I have a 50 ft length of stranded 3 wire 10 gage flexible cable spliced into my stick welder. If I weld in my lean to shop, it goes through the bathroom window and down the hall to get to the dryer. If I'm in the side back yard, it goes out the back door across the patio, and if I'm in the front driveway it goes through the living room and out the window. Works for me. :D

Going to change it so it's just like an extension cord so I can plug the stick or the MIG into it.

The dryer is in the house, about 30 feet from the garage. An extension might be doable... I wonder what the cost would be just to run a new line from the panel. Put in a circuit breaker, buy a length of cable, run it to the garage, and install a plug in the wall.

Is there really that much of a difference between a 110V and a 220V MIG?

It (220 volt) will weld thicker metal. If you know for absolute sure you won't be doing this then you could limp (I mean get by) with a 110. Sure as shittin' someone will need something welded that's too much for it.