v8 motor swap for 72 1600 pickup?? help!!!

dwoo79

hi im new here this is my first post. ok so here's my question I have a 1972 1600 pickup im wanting to do a engine swap id really prefer a v8 something like A 302 or something similar. id like it to be a ford engine. don't wanna spend a ton of money but what are my options and how difficult would this be also what all will I need. thanks

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything will be a one-off part custom made to fit and work. Rad and how it's mounted, motor mounts, exhaust system, oil pan to clear the 521 suspension and steering, transmission mount, transmission shifter, driveshaft shortening, throttle cable. Then there's the electrical connections. Alternator, ignition. God help you if it's EFI as that's extra. Hopefully it's automatic. Will the engine fit with a rad in front or (very likely) will the firewall need to be cut out for clearance... possibly the trans tunnel widened also.

Have you swapped a similar motor into a small mini truck before?

Do you own your own welder? (forget your buddy down the street that welds)

Do you have a shop or garage? That can be used for 4-6 months? Lots of space? (forget your dad's garage)

Do you have fabricating experience? (being a quick learner does not count. Everyone in the world puts that on their resume.. and it's bullshit)

Do you have metal working tools? Drill press, grinder, band saw, vice etc? Well?

Do you have mechanic's tools? See above.

Do you have money to see this through? Make a reasonable guess and triple it if under 20, double if over 20.

If you are a student or have a girlfriend, you can forget this right now.

When Hainz logs on tomorrow morning he will say forget it. "Fix it up stock, improve the brakes and handling, put nice exhaust, rims and tires and paint, and enjoy driving the hell out of it."

Mark my words.... There are only one or two ways to do this right, and a billion ways to FUCK THIS UP.

• Like 1

Life is harsh. Even harsher on old pick-ups. I love all Datsuns and don't want to see a project jumped into without some sort of safety net.

I was offering help, though perhaps more to the 521.  When the going gets tough... the tough get going. Who knows? perhaps this truck will be saved and enjoyed as it is.... perhaps it will go on to old age with a V8 heart transplant. You just never know.