A10's U-nite !!!!

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

.... What?

I know right?? That's exactly what i said when i read Datzenmike colluding against me  to help Zach weasel outta our deal.

:rofl: :rofl:

• Like 1

I know right?? That's exactly what i said when i read Datzenmike colluding against me  to help Zach weasel outta our deal.

:rofl: :rofl:

I wasn't going to read ten pages to figure out what was going on.  Blah, blah D21, blah blah S13 200sx blah blah. If this is going into an A10 then the driveshaft will need shortening anyway so either will work as well as the other. 

Did you look at an A10 automatic driveshaft? If it's like my 710 the auto trans is the same length as the FS5W71B 5 speed so use it and no shortening needed... well if the trans is 31.5" long.

This D21 trans is pretty close and only 3/4" short.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Maybe. You have an auto or standard. If standard your driveshaft is going to be too long no matter what 5 speed you put in it. I believe the A10 automatic is 31.5" long so an auto driveshaft will be shorter than your 4 speed one. As the D21 pictured is 30.75" that's only 3/4" shorter than perfect. I'm saying that D-21 5 speed with an A10 auto driveshaft should fit or be very close.

i think what he's saying is,, it isn't really the one you wanted ( 240sx ).  It may work and fit  but it isn't what everybody else is using.

That is worded kinda confusing but i think you get what i'm saying.

Are the gear ratios different between this truck one and a 91 240sx ,, and which ones ( gear ratio wise)  would be better suited for a this ( A10) car??        You never hear of anyone using a truck trans considering they are far more plentiful and i guess i'm wondering,,,  why.

Pretty sure they are the same ratios but they are the same basic transmission but for the length. I'll check the ratios tonight. I've never had one... well I have one but no front case on it... so it's hard to measure from the bell back to get a proper distance. I could try. 30.75 would be awfully close to a 71B tranny.

I have five speed manual right now

So all you really need is a Z series front case so it will fit a KA engine. The D21 5 speed would be stronger.

You never hear of anyone using a truck trans considering they are far more plentiful and i guess i'm wondering,,,  why.

I'd bet because most people get a trans with their KA from the donor vehicle? Usually when I've bought one in the past it was with everything (engine, trans, wiring, etc). 

I've used one behind a KA24E before. Worked just fine. 

Also...

Are the gear ratios different between this truck one and a 91 240sx ,, and which ones ( gear ratio wise)  would be better suited for a this ( A10) car??  

I am 98% sure the 240SX trans has the 0.76 or 0.74 5th gear, whereas most of the trucks use something in the low to mid 80s (0.85 sounds right for some reason). 

In the 1980s, typically the 4 cylinder stuff had a 5th gear in the mid 80s (trucks, 200SX, etc), while the 6 cylinder stuff had 5th gear ratios in the mid 70s (280ZX, 300ZX). The factory A10 dogleg has an 0.86 5th gear. 

I'd assume that because of the torque of the KA24E/KA24DE, they felt they could get away with the taller "6 cylinder" 5th gear?

As to which is better, it depends on what you want.

Do you want maximum fuel economy and minumum freeway revs? Go 240SX.

Do you want to be able to easily accelerate from a 65pmh roll without dropping a gear? Go truck. 

I'd bet because most people get a trans with their KA from the donor vehicle? Usually when I've bought one in the past it was with everything (engine, trans, wiring, etc). 

I've used one behind a truck KA24E before. Worked just fine. 

And it should. the S13's 71C just has a longer tail that the one in the D21.

I can't find definitive proof that the S13 and D21 KA23Es had the same ratios. Probably. I'll keep looking.

The KAs are more powerful that the older motors and you can always run lower rear gears to suit.

Had to look through the old photobucket of science ,, but this is what i have. Datzenmike might come by to prove me wrong. so we wait.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Can't remember if measurements are to end of flange or output shaft.