A10's U-nite !!!!

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dumb question, probably been answered, HP/TQ limit of H-165

I'm unsure what the actual spec H165 is, but supposed reports state H165 can hold a KA, but it's recommended to go with the H190

HP is meaningless for a rating. Torque is much better and the H-165 is good for up to 225 ft lbs. As the first gear in a KA transmission is around 3.3 and the torque probably around 150? ft lbs. So something that can handle almost 500 ft lbs. You really need something around 8.8" or H-223 (if there was one) to be safe. Closest is H-190 which will do. No rear end will survive one tire fires for long and sudden hard take offs.

Wheel page showing some different steelies:

http://kmhafer.datsun510.com/wheelFAQ.htm

On the rear of my '72 510 I'm running 6X15 steelies from about an '86 200SX, with195-65-15 tires. These won't quite clear the stock front struts, so I have them just on the rear for now. I may do something with spacers once I get 280ZX struts on. They look more or less like a 14" 280Z steely. The 5.5X14 was good enough for Z cars though and will probably be the easiest bigger then 13" steely to find. I think there was also a 5X14 Z or 200SX wheel, so it is worth double checking the stamped size on the face of the rim if you are wanting 5.5s.

mhub91 - You said "Notice I don't have cool wheels? Or a nice paintjob? Haha... No moneys!  :rofl:" I think of this as the best anti-theft device. Not that you should be complacent, cause some low lifers will steal anything. Which reminds me I should at least get the door locks working on my 510.

Len

So, how many cars can you crush with that monster truck?

^_^

Yeah, I'm not sure I like the looks of the tall wheels. Likely I'll end up back with 14"ers. I made the mistake of reading the section "Bigger is NOT Always Better" in the wheel page I posted the link to. In reality I probably need way more power than a stock L20b to run 15"s. Or maybe that will be my excuse to add more power. On the other hand, when I first put in the dogleg there was a noticeable speedometer error. I procrastinated on changing the speedo pinion gear. The 15"s have gotten the speedo back to "close enough for me".

Len