Titan question

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can use my router. Looks like it'd work fine, they get balanced when you put tires on anyway

if i go that route josh ill let you know man, thanks!

Isnt that what its going to look like regardless of lathe or router?

my thought was that the chances of major issues go down when in the controlled enviroment of "machinest" vs me with a router and a prayer

i always machine the hubs to fit the wheels just fitting a 18inch wheel in a lathe. Well thats a giant lathe! and this way if ya decide to swap wheels ya wont have to go through that router bullshit again lol

2eDeYe' timestamp='1351699864' post='786233']

What jesus said.

Machined hub....this was done on a brake lathe so it should be cheap to have done

What all is involved in machining the hubs? id love some details :D

Adam. I'm glad you put pics up of your hubs. The only reason you need to bore your rims is if you are running post '85 720 or Hardbody hubs....which are disc hubs. Since you're running drums still, you don't need to bore the rims at all. On the first page, I've got some pics of the different disc hubs and on the second, there's a pic of a stock drum still on the hub.

http://www.bluehandsinc.com/hub-info.html

http://www.bluehandsinc.com/truck-kit-install.html

Since you don't have any shoes on there, maybe you're converting to disc with Beebani's or similar kit. The thickness of the rotor will act like a spacer and negate the need to bore the rims. Basically, the new rotors are thicker than the drums at the hub face.

If you are running drums, you may actually need to get 1/4" wheel spacers because of the "dish" in the drum. If the mounting surface on the back of the rim extends out so far that it hits the raised part of the drum(the wheel mounting surface is recessed) it won't bolt down solid or safely. That was a common issue with Z71 rims on the 521's.

See if you can post up a pic of the back side of the titan rim with a tape measure....or ruler laying on the mounting surface of the rim.

I'm guessing the info you got before was for putting them on later model rigs or disc equipped rigs. All the pics above are from guys with discs.

2eDeYe' timestamp='1351711464' post='786331']

I still have to run spacers on my 77 with the Honda Passport rotors, the wheels still don't quite clear the nubs.

And yes, you can still run your stock wheels after machining the hubs.

I knew the thickness was close, but there's still some sticking out....good to know. An 1/8" thick steel wheel spacer should do the trick. ;)

datsuns arent hub centric most use a conical lug nut anyways this is why you can get away with grinding the shit outta the hubs. ive personally done that in beebani,s driveway. it works just doesnt look all that good.

I've done it too for my wife's 521 with the D50 hubs on it(before I converted again). Have to do it carefully.....real easy to grind on the lug bolts.

Damn, i really want the center caps to fit :/

So from the sounds of it if i have drums all the way around i can run 1/4 spacers for now and still run the center caps?

if thats the case ill worry about the rest when i know what disc swap im going to do