I'm new to the site and to datsun's!! Nice to meet you!

rustynutz

first off, i'll introduce myself, my name is christopher. i have a few cars and mostly am into fast old cars with stupid fast v8's in them. i was into the volkswagen scene for a while, owned a fair share from air cooled to water cooleds, built a few, had some projects blah blah blah. lost interest after a bunch of kids started jumping on the bandwagon. turned that towards the v8's and been hooked ever since. right now me and a friend are currently building from the ground up a 37 rat rod truck.. custom built frame, s10 rear end with 4.10's, 700r4 tranny bolted to a built up 350 small block. the suspension in the front is a straight beam with a leaf spring suicide steering set up and the rear suspension is a 4 link set up with shocks from a harley davidson.

IMG_1268_zpsaf6d0710.jpg

there's a picture of my truck as she sits now sorta. well most recent.. hoping to be have her done by thanksgiving.. anyway, now on to the introduction of my 1970 datsun 521 with 33,000 miles on her! i got this truck from a friend in a trade deal. i had a 1964 bug that i had bought out in california a few years back and shipped home. i ended crashing the car bad and totaling it but my friend was willing to trade being a real good metal worker he was willing to take on the job and beat and pound and pull the bug back to life. and in return i got a turn key truck with loads and loads of parts. here's how you typically see me riding around, with one of the two girls in the truck.

IMG_1540_zps7702a7e8.jpg

i popped the hood and by the radiator it had written oil changed at 27,000 on 07/2001!! my friend never changed the oil and didn't drive the truck much because he lost his license after getting it. i've done a few things though like replace the black oil with some clean oil, fresh filter, new fuel filter, new air filter, carb rebuild, new custom made heater hoses since i couldn't find any anywhere, new drums and pads and shoes in the front, fixed a few holes in the exhaust, cranked down the torsion bars all the way in the front and put three inch blocks in the rear. will get more pics of the truck up tomorrow if the weather is nice but here are a few to hold you guys over until then

IMG_0082_zpsc8c3fe4d.jpg

IMG_0091_zpscfceb262.jpg

IMG_0079_zps142a5c2e.jpg

IMG_0076_zps6623845f.jpg

IMG_0083_zps9dcecd01.jpg

IMG_0084_zps7fe89c12.jpg

this truck is my new daily driver so i don't plan on doing anything serious plus i have a big enough project on my hands and once i finish my truck i'd like to start working on my camaro again. but my plans with the datsun consist of, headers and exhaust, that way i can eliminate all the rusty holes and leaks im having now. im thinking about getting a weber carb for it and taking my intake manifold off and cleaning it up and porting it out a little bit, going to look into that tomorrow. also, i want to go lower, a lot lower. i never really believed in bags and i know this is a mini truck but im not into the bag thing. either your low or your not. what do people do to get the fronts lower usually on these? i have four inch blocks for the rear also but i want the front lower first before i even start worrying about the rear. other than that here she is!! i hope you guys enjoy and i will be putting more pics of the interior and dash and all that fun stuff. everything works all the lights, fans, heat, defrost, am radio, everything!

• Like 1
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome Christopher!

First off, I LOVE V8's and rat rods, so you get a +1 in my book.

Second, I LOVE the patina on that truck, so if you paint it you get a -1.

And noone wants to be a zero, so don't paint the truck :thumbup:

you could always re-index your torsion bars and take out the bump stops but you'll probably need to relocate the shocks if you go that route

but if you wanna go low with out bags thats an easy way

cool appreciate that im going to look into it. and as far as paint goes. i have absolutely zero intentions on painting this car. its mint though, the underneath is solid there is no rot, the floors are solid, which is RARE for an east coast car, especially an older japanese car but it is low mileage. the only way i would paint this truck is if i was to do a full out frame off restoration and that wouldn't be anytime soon.

welcome to ratsun. i like that you saved another 521 from a future of scrap metal too bad about your vw bug as i am also into vws and i even have a 73 show bug that i redid my self in my garage at home. it is a show bug and have gotten a few awards for it. i also am into classic ars as well cuz i have a 65 plymouth barracuda that will be my next project after i finish my 521 project named GRIMACE you can follow my build thread thru "project datto" named Grimace. i dropped my 521 by reindexing the front torsion bars and used 4" angled blocks in the rear.

Looks like a good truck! With extra parts, too. Nice score.

The stock L-16 exhaust manifold is probably one of the best free flowing exhaust manifolds on any car. It is basically a cast iron header, except unlike headers, it is quiet, does not need constant retorquing, it really does fit, and it does not rust out. If you want, extend the two individual pipes off the bottom of the manifold about a foot to 18 inches, past the torsion bar, and transmission, and then go to 2" exhaust system out to the back.

Looks like a good truck! With extra parts, too. Nice score.

The stock L-16 exhaust manifold is probably one of the best free flowing exhaust manifolds on any car. It is basically a cast iron header, except unlike headers, it is quiet, does not need constant retorquing, it really does fit, and it does not rust out. If you want, extend the two individual pipes off the bottom of the manifold about a foot to 18 inches, past the torsion bar, and transmission, and then go to 2" exhaust system out to the back.

alright, i want to go with new headers because i am going to be cleaning up the engine bay quite a bit and maybe tucking a few wires here and there. the intake manifold is going to be mint looking with a new carb set up on her, i dont want to pop the hood see a few nice clean parts and then these rusty old headers.

It is your truck, you can put headers on it if you want. You can also sandblast, and paint the stock exhaust manifold, if you want. or maybe pay for a ceramic high temp coating that will outlast paint.

But I still you will not find as good of a quality of a header as the stock exhaust manifold already is. If you want, spend some time grinding the casting marks off the stock manifold.

Judging by your first car picture, you are familiar with American V-8 engines, and frankly, the exhaust manifolds on them are not all that free flowing. The Datsun L-16 exhaust manifold is. This engine, in Japan, with two SU carbs, made about 133 HP, from 97 cubic inches. With the stock manifold you have.

I am not trying to be condescending or preachy. I am just trying to help you avoid an unnecessary expense.

It is your truck, you can put headers on it if you want. You can also sandblast, and paint the stock exhaust manifold, if you want. or maybe pay for a ceramic high temp coating that will outlast paint.

But I still you will not find as good of a quality of a header as the stock exhaust manifold already is. If you want, spend some time grinding the casting marks off the stock manifold.

Judging by your first car picture, you are familiar with American V-8 engines, and frankly, the exhaust manifolds on them are not all that free flowing. The Datsun L-16 exhaust manifold is. This engine, in Japan, with two SU carbs, made about 133 HP, from 97 cubic inches. With the stock manifold you have.

I am not trying to be condescending or preachy. I am just trying to help you avoid an unnecessary expense.

Example of above statement..

]

nice coated exhaust mani

0910121616.jpg

Ill probably try out the new sand blast cabinet for the intake mani ill try the exhaust too and see how it comes out and get a quote on ceramic coating cuz I don't see even high temp paint lasting on exhaust manifold.. And as for the mileage goes the truck is in mint shape it has surface rust but no rot anywhere inside or out the car is from New England it wasn't driven a lot hence the cleanliness of the undercarriage and frame

i appreciate your input. i did some further research and poking around and decided i am going to stick with the factory exhaust manifold. i am going to be taking it over either tonight or possibly tomorrow to sand blast it. after it is blasted i think i am going to wrap it up and install it back and go with the exhaust idea you had mentioned. if i get it finished by the weekend i'll post pics. have to take it over to the shop or to a buddy's shop, can not do anything in my 2 car garage at my house because its wall to wall with bikes :mellow:

I have been using headers on my work truck since day one that I have owned it, I have had to fix or repair it about every three years, everyone talks about coating them to make them last longer, but you can't coat the inside, and all my issues occur in the middle/center of the 4 tubes coming together, I have cut the collector off, and repaired the center and re-welded the collector back on a couple of times, but it's a pain in the........

I can't say I ever seen that pretty :wub: exhaust manifold below, but I can say this, you will never have to replace/repair the stock exhaust manifold every 3 years like I have to. :D

Has this manifold in the photo below been ground smooth and then coated bananahamuck?

0910121616.jpg

ya man static drop is the way to go! im in the process of making my shock towers taller. i reindexed the torsion bars 2 splines and i have them adjusted about half way down, in the back i have 3 inch blocks, 2 leafs removed, and the overload put on top and flipped.

datsunrollin4.gif

datsunrolling3.gif

• Like 3

jon521 that looks good, thats what i am trying to do the stance now isn't bad just not nearly as low as i need. my 37 ford i can't put my iPhone sideways underneath it and my bug's pan had about 2.5" ground clearance. gotta be low, and i live on some shitty streets but its all good i know where i can and can't go :rofl: what would be the advantage of making your shock towers taller? do you have pics of the process? about how much lower is your front now from stock?

right now, if i had my shocks in, i would be riding on them with no suspension travel. Making the towers taller will allow the shock to be installed more....stretched, therefore i can be lower and not sit on my shocks, i will have some suspension travel. what i wish i could do is channel the whole thing

a little update on whats going on and a few pictures.. well first off its been raining all week here so i haven't had a chance to work on the truck. i can't take it in my garage and theres not really much room at the shop for another non running car so i don't want to do the work over there so i have to wait for a clear day so i can do it in the driveway. my plan is to take the stock exhaust manifold off and sand blast it and clean it all up. i am in the process of trying to get a L20B intake manifold. i just ordered a 32/36 redline weber carb. the exhaust is going to be modified like previously mentioned in the thread. im hoping i can have my exhaust manifold cleaned, my valve cover cleaned and painted, and then the exhaust done in one day. that way i can drive the truck back from where it will be on the lift getting the exhaust fabbed up. then when i get my new carb in the mail and an intake manifold that would be a quick job too. i also want to look at doing a few other things under the hood but want to do some resarch soon so i'll keep that a secret for now :blink: . sometime in the near future i want to take the top dash pad off and see what i can do about fixing those cracks. i saw a thread on here with somebody using bondo and doing body work on that. very familiar with body work and those products so i might give that a try and see how it comes out. will keep updated with progress though.

IMG_0101_zps7ebac13a.jpg

IMG_0100_zpsbadbb9f5.jpg

IMG_0097_zpsf7036499.jpg

IMG_0096_zpsde00eb31.jpg

IMG_0095_zpsd74eb39a.jpg

IMG_1480_zpsf0681108.jpg

im going to be going through all the parts that i have in boxes and check out the extra transmission and body panels that i have. i will be laying everything out and taking pictures and most likely posting some stuff for sale so stay tuned for that. i know i can't post them here but maybe i'll just post pictures of what i have and go from there. heres a shot of my garage and why the 521 can't fit :devil: #bikelife 2 CR's and 1 CRF and a 08 street glide :devil:

IMG_0094_zpsb56437c4.jpg

I think I would hit it with rubbing compound or TR3 polish to take the extra roughness out of the rust but it will smoothin it out. \Pain the rims white and roll it. Leaving the Patina as is.

clean the inside and maybe hit it will soem FLEX SEAL that they advertise on TV

I would just get soem Belltech Blocks pn 6202 3in with 2deg

and crank on the torsion bar thats it if you live on bad roads