Sightings 2, the not a datsun but... Thread

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One of them bought a 63 1/2 Galaxy, R code car (427 car). He drove it that way for a while and it was "fun" but then he decided to challenge another guy in our group to a drag race. Now...this guy he challenged has the most generic, 1970 Nova with a small block that you can ever imagine...Nova guy goes on craigslist one day, finds himself another crate engine, a used 502 horse, 502 and got it for peanuts. He fit that in, messed with the rear a little and just tore a hung chunk out of that galaxy. He's now in this nova for around 5 grand.

One thing I've noticed (which that anecdote sort of reminded me of) is how much old school Detroit iron guys never seem to consider curb weight. Yeah, you have a 450hp motor in your Chevelle, but it weighs 4000+ pounds. A 3000 pound Nova with 50-100hp less is going to kill it. 

Gears too. Too many of them running 2.73s out back...   :rofl:

• Like 1

Many refuse to think about it. When I bring it up, many are all just shy of plugging their ears and going nanananana. I have seen sand draggers go as far as use titanium bolts on low stress stuff AND drill the center out of them. One guy had a full dragster down to just a little over 500 lbs with a VW engine in it. He was about 1 pound per hp (it moved).

Many refuse to think about it. When I bring it up, many are all just shy of plugging their ears and going nanananana. 

That's where the fun is...   :rofl:

It's awesome when they come from that world, and tell me they want to build a Datsun. Then they think they need some monster 400hp SR to make it fast. They never believe me when I say you can't really use more than 200hp in a 510, and an honest 150-175hp 510 is probably quicker than any the cars they are used to. And even a 510 just putting down a solid 120hp is a ton of fun to drive...

• Like 2

I am only looking for about 200 hp from the CA18DET for the 1200 coupe, and I fully expect to have to wear adult Pampers when I drive it.

Friend of mine has a built CA18DET forge internals etc in his s12. Dyno said 280hp and 200 ft lbs. That this is fricken scary

agreed. i have a stock sr20det in my 510 and its traction limited. You can't fit a big or sticky enough tire to need much / any more power without hacking them up. Very fast just due to the light weight. circa 10lbs/hp

I have a few cars faster than the datsun but i definitely agree that lighter weight is a LOT better to straight line and cornering acceleration than more power. 10/1 seems like a good mix of control  / power.

who owns the t-bucket?

I don't know jack about mini's ........ do they have LSD FWD stock.?? that was badass watching it spin both front tires

It was a very slow take off though, like after he broke the beam. May be some sort of traction control on them, not sure though. Then, there is this little bugger.