I saved this jewel from a certain death in the woods

SulphurDave

Ok I posted a crappy video of it barely running earlier today so I definitely have carburetor issues, it also has no brakes the pedal goes straight to the floor as if it's not attached to anything, right rear wheel locks up when it starts to roll forward (running or not running just rolling it forward) then it lets go and it'll go another 2 ft then lock up again, no blinking turn signals but the hazard lights will blink not sure what's up with that, no front parking lights on the side of the fenders, no radio with a hack job hole in the dash, cracked dash pad, instrument panel is VERY dim at night (is there a dimmer switch somewhere?) and so far I haven't seen any needles move but not sure how much gas it has, certainly haven't gone over 1mph in it yet, and hasn't run long enough for the coolant to warm up so I don't know about the instrument panel yet. All the switches on the dash are missing knobs, the steering wheel is bare metal frame no plastic around the tubing, I'm getting into the small nit picky things now but overall the major things wrong is it won't stay running and runs very poorly, no brakes at all and the right rear wheel locks up intermittenly. The stick shift has a ton of sloppy play in it but you can find a gear in there somewhere haha. I won't say what I paid but out of curiosity what is this truck worth as it sits right now?

Here's the outside of the truck I'll post interior and engine bay pics tomorrow.

IMG_20120909_174520.jpg

IMG_20120909_174422.jpg

IMG_20120909_174749.jpg

IMG_20120909_174559.jpg

IMG_20120909_174646.jpg

Here is a video of it running (barely)

th_firststartupathome21.jpg

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your location dictates price.

As a solid truck, running or not, it could fetch you decent coin to the right person.

All the things you listed wrong sound like easy fixes.

Or at least easy to diagnose.

If you're looking to flip it-just do so now.

Before you fall in love with the thing.

Jeeez Ok I changed it, take the image off Google Images then

It was a joke.

A vendor had a similar logo while he was posting here.

Well, a different member who also happens to be a mod at a different forum told vendor that he stole that forum's logo.

It(he) created a big stink. Laughable, really. Especially when you looked at the second guy's eBay store. Nothing but "borrowed" logos he was profiting from.

You're cool.

So what you gonna do to the 521?

So what you gonna do to the 521?

Initially... fix everything that needs to be fixed to drive it on the street legally

Your truck looks really good, better than most of our drivers, well at least when it is wet. :lol:

Doesn't look like it sat in the woods to long, I don't see any big holes. :thumbup:

It sat in a barn for years until 09 then it was mainly outside under pine trees

it also has no brakes the pedal goes straight to the floor as if it's not attached to anything, right rear wheel locks up when it starts to roll forward (running or not running just rolling it forward) then it lets go and it'll go another 2 ft then lock up again

Any input on this?

The dash is in bad shape, cracked dash, missing knobs, tore up under tray, hole in the inside of the glove box, window crank broke, choke pull not attached, missing radio, cut wires under the dash, hole in passenger floor board, steering wheel is just bare metal but horn works, no hood release puller, so far not sure if the instrument panel is functional. The engine bay is not too bad but again there's cut wires behind the carburetor area on the firewall. Not sure what they're for.

IMG_20120911_190627.jpg

IMG_20120911_190737.jpg

IMG_20120911_190636.jpg

IMG_20120911_190827.jpg

well out here in CA this thing would probly be worth between $800-1200. If it ran and stopped you can could get $2000 Easy. it looks complete overall and the motor does turn over even if it doesn't stay on. and like flatcat said most of this "bad" stuff is typical. There's definitely worse shape projects on here that's for sure. great save and yea, get it running and stopping.

welcome

It looks like the body is pretty straight on this truck. BONUS!

The paint is in pretty good shape. BONUS!

I see all the lights. BONUS!

Good seat, BONUS!

Good door panel. BONUS!

The dash is in bad shape, cracked dash. This is common, most upholstery shops can fix this.

missing knobs. You can probably find a set in the forum here.

Tore up under tray. Most 521 parcel trays are gone.

hole in the inside of the glove box, Getto fix, duct tape. Better fix, remove it, and put fiberglass cloth and resin on the outside of it.

window crank broke, check the Ratsun forum again.

choke pull not attached, missing radio, cut wires under the dash, hole in passenger floor board, steering wheel is just bare metal but horn works, no hood release puller, so far not sure if the instrument panel is functional. The engine bay is not too bad but again

There's cut wires behind the carburetor area on the firewall. Not sure what they're for. The extra wires on the throttle linkage of the carburetor are for a second set of points adjusted slightly retarded for the main set of points. There is also a switch on the throttle, and two more switches on the transmission. All of this is not needed.

You are looking at the whole truck, and you are thinking there is so much wrong. Don't do that. Break everything done in to small steps. fix one thing at a time. As you finish that, go on to the next thing.

Everyone is saying how clean and good shape it is, ya'll have seen these more than I have so I guess I did good on this one. I've been thinking I got a mess on my hands but I'm comparing that to buying the truck already ready to be a daily driver.

Yea that yellow wire is not connected to anything nor or a few other little wires along that strand of wires along on the firewall. I could take a closer picture.