I saved this jewel from a certain death in the woods

SulphurDave

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pulled all the fuel lines coming out from the fender to the filter to the pump to the carb, gonna replace fuel filter and all fuel lines under the hood. Pulled the carb, looks like it could be cleaned or whatever but also looks complicated and full of cuss words when trying to put it back together so I'm tempted to go new Weber 32/36... very tempted but then again cleaning the one I have now is almost free. Decisions....

IMG_20120912_185100.jpg

but also looks complicated and full of cuss words when trying to put it back together so I'm tempted to go new Weber 32/36... very tempted but then again cleaning the one I have now is almost free. Decisions....

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!

You need the crabk case vent tube hose to the lower intake PCV valve

11828-23002

What you got will be good for now but best to get this to keep the stink to a minimum.

Go to this page.

http://www.davidcmur...dat/620tech.htm

About part way down, there is a link for a PDF version of the Datsun 521 Factory Body and Chassis Service Manual you can down load.

Do that.

Farther down is a link for the Nissan L16 & L18 Series Engines you can download.

Do that too.

In all honesty, the carburetor on a Datsun 521 is a very sophisticated, complicated carburetor. It is a primary-secondary type of carb, and even though it makes almost any four barrel carb used on American engines look simple. That is why most people just put on a Weber carb, and call it good.

Another issue with any old carb is wear in the throttle shafts, where they go through the throttle body. You have the carb off. Check for wear there.

The best carb kits come from Nissan, but they are expensive. Probably more expensive that a new Weber carb. Be very careful when you take the carb apart. It is really easy to lose small parts. First, I would try to do a quick clean of the float bowl, watch for deposits neat the main jets, clean the throat of the carb, and then put it on , and try it again. Do not do major invasive surgery unless you really have to.

First purchases towards the truck since I brought it home were made today. I bought new spark plugs, oil/oil filter, new fuel lines inside engine bay, new fuel filter and a gallon of Berrymans chem-dip to soak the carb in. Now honestly I don't wanna dig too deep into this carb I just wanna take off what's absolutely necessary to soak this thing overnight, put it back together and see if it runs better. I have a feeling the accelerator pump is bad because I'm getting gas to the float bowl but nothing is squirting from the jets. I can pour gas into the carb from the top and it starts right up and runs pretty decent until it burns the gas then it runs horrible until it dies. If this is the case not sure what I would do from there, replace accelerator pump or bite the bullet and go Weber 32/36. Trying not to spend too much initially in case I need to sell it to get a newer truck for a new job possibly.

The Berryman's cleaner will require complete dissassembly, because it will eat gaskets, O rings, accelerator pump cups, pretty much anything that is not metal.

The most important part of the carb to work correctly is the float level. There is a line on the sight glass on the front of the carb, that is where the fuel level should be. But even before that you need to get good gasoline to the carb.

This is what I did to solve that problem. I used this old, but clean inside, gas tank from a lawnmower.

LawnmowerTank.jpg

To get the gas from the tank to the carb, I was able to just hold the lawn mower tank in the air, above the carburetor, and fuel pump.

TankElevated.jpg

This is the the thread for the project truck I have.

http://community.rat...sun-datsun-521/

So since the hole for the radio is so hacked up and the dash is missing knobs and functional accurate gauges and ugly as sin.... I was thinking of doing something similar to what I did in my GMC, cover the factory panel with brushed aluminum and cut holes for AutoMeter gauges going horizontally across the dash panel with custom lighted rocker switches for headlights, wipers, etc etc. I mean, I wouldn't go "all out" with the fiberglassed dash pad like I did to my GMC but more function over fashion. The GMC is mainly for show and muscle. I even made a custom aluminum panel that replaced the a/c switches instead for fuel pump, fans and to arm nitrous bottle.

IMG_0812.jpg

IMG_20110507_112354.jpg

i like it, now put 22 x 14 and under it and drop it on the ground..lol...my dad had a prostreet 89 standard cab on 15x15 welds... cool as hell till u drove it on the highway....15" wide tires in ruts is a hand full....I like the paint scheme.....who painted it ... sounds super healthy ....stroker or a big block...

" I have a feeling the accelerator pump is bad because I'm getting gas to the float bowl but nothing is squirting from the jets. I can pour gas into the carb from the top and it starts right up and runs pretty decent until it burns the gas then it runs horrible until it dies."

You never di the test I told you about?????? plug the main side with your hand after you get the rpms up and open the second barrel wiht a SCREW DRIVER AND THE MOTOR SHOULD STAY RUNNING. if it stayed running

Ok to late now. but this would have isolated it down to the primary side being bad.

1) idle jet plugged

2) main jet plugged

Personally Im scared to rip apart a stock carb. I think they are RUBIX CUBE in desguise

dont worry about the gauges untill everything is running nice and stock

" I have a feeling the accelerator pump is bad because I'm getting gas to the float bowl but nothing is squirting from the jets. I can pour gas into the carb from the top and it starts right up and runs pretty decent until it burns the gas then it runs horrible until it dies."

You never di the test I told you about?????? plug the main side with your hand after you get the rpms up and open the second barrel wiht a SCREW DRIVER AND THE MOTOR SHOULD STAY RUNNING. if it stayed running

Ok to late now. but this would have isolated it down to the primary side being bad.

1) idle jet plugged

2) main jet plugged

Personally Im scared to rip apart a stock carb. I think they are RUBIX CUBE in desguise

dont worry about the gauges untill everything is running nice and stock

No I did not, couldn't get it running good enough to do that. I will do what I can to the carb this weekend and report back

Curious... a little late to ask since I bought the truck already but how well (given that it's running right) would this truck pull a 14' aluminum boat and trailer with fishing gear out of the water at a boat launch? I know it'll pull it just driving around town. I'm more concerned about pulling it out of a steep boat launch.

It is not too late to ask.

I used to tow my 16 foot Tahiti with a 135 Merc in line six all over the place. I even used my 521 to pull the bot one summer when I was working a travelling summer camp that went from Portland Oregon, to Lake Billy Chinook in Central Oregon, then to Lake Shasta, Northern California, to Bass Lake, somewhere around Fresno, California. And then did the return trip. never had a problem pulling my boat out of the lakes, or rivers, except when the water was really low, and there was mud or wet sand on the boat ramp.

I also used to tow a two horse trailer all over the northwest, quite often with two horses.

To be honest, it seems traffic is a little more intense that it was when I was towing stuff with the Datsun, I strongly recommend you have trailer brakes.

A Datsun 521 does not use the brake lights for turn signals on the rear.

To hook up the lights on the trailer, you will need a trailer light multiplexor, or put additional separate brake lights on the trailer.