I saved this jewel from a certain death in the woods

SulphurDave

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know if these side mirrors would fit the 521? I love the paw paw look on these old trucks.

163_0908_072zTexas_Heatwave_20091971_Toyota_Hilux_front_view.jpg

These were popular mirrors for small trucks back then, they fit on anything, all you have to do is drill holes to mount them, I have several of them, and they are on my truck also.

DSCN1917.jpg

DSCN1916.jpg

DSCN1623.jpg

Mine don't have the extra brace, but they don't move around while driving on the freeway.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if the transmission is in neutral shouldn't I be able to free spin the rear wheels forward? Not the case here on either side.

Click for video...

th_VID_20120916_151719.jpg

Was the driveline spinning when you were turning the drum?

If the brakes are ajusted correctly/recently, the drum won't spin freely.

Need more info, what exactly you want to know, is something making noise?

It apparently was the brakes doing that. I took off all the drums and it rotates freely now. However... I am not a drum brake guy. I can change out brake pads on disc brakes all day long but never had to fool with drum brakes. I don't even know where to start. All I know is the brake pedal goes to the floor with ease, the brake fluid reservoir is empty and the rear axle was locking up.

Driver's side rear

IMG_20120916_163227.jpg

Driver's side front

IMG_20120916_163215.jpg

Passenger side rear

IMG_20120916_163241.jpg

Passenger side front

IMG_20120916_163637.jpg

Fluid level

IMG_20120916_163649.jpg

This swap must be rare if done at all because I don't see anything in here or on Google for that matter and I'm sure it's been asked a million times but I'm assuming a 12a or 13b rotary motor does not fit into these engine bays without major modifications to firewall and floor board?

I just noticed something wrong in this photo, that lowest spring is not on there correctly, one end is supposed to connect to the backing plate.

IMG_20120916_182809.jpg

There should be a metal tang sticking out for that spring to connect to.

See the notched piece of metal between the e-brake cable spring mount assembly, and the brake ajuster, that is where that lower spring is supposed to mount on that side, the other side of the spring is in the proper place connected to the brake shoe.

it's supposed to pull the lower part of the brake shoes forward when your foot is not on the brake, that is why the ajuster is in a channel that allows it to move forward and backward.

DSCN1958.jpg

I see this is the front brake assembly(his photo above my photo), but I expect it would be set up approximately the same way, correct me if I am wrong.

All 3 wheels, except the driver's side rear which was missing the spring all together, was installed wrong like that. I moved the spring to the location in the above pic on all of them so they should be good. I still haven't had time to bleed anything yet though.

I need new floor board sheet metal inside the cab and a bed floor. Where do I even start? I was thinking cutting out a bed floor from a salvage yard and welding it in but is there an easier way besides a totally different bed all together? These trucks are hard to find as it is much less one with a good bed floor.