Oldtimers rallycar - Datsun 1500 Pickup (620) 1979

Aibast

Will the UAZ be for camping only? It would be fun to see some rally pics too

it will be for rallys also - there are 2 teams already driving hese things + some Volvo c303's. There is even a separate class for 4x4's. The van is more oe less my codrivers idea, he's mad about it. I would love more some kind of old microcar, but we are in this together so the next car is his choise.

I'll be driving the Datsun until June so, still 6 months to go with it.

First I'll get it ready for this years winter rally. 

http://forum.automoto.ee/showthread.php?tid=46518

In here you can find the partisipants

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The head torque sequence is as follows, (1) pass side center(2), driverside back from center, (3)pass side back one from center, (4) driverside sightly forward from center, (5)pass. side one forward from center, (6)back driverside, (7)back pass side, (8)front driverside, (9)front pass. side, (10)rear center, (11)front center

Basically it is from the center and work your way out, and it is to be torqued to 45 ft lbs.

Thanks, thats what I was looking for :)

Are there any other 620s in your country, maybe it can be sold as a parts vehicle when your done with it, seems a shame to scrap it out.

People over here save a lot worse, and we have them all over the place, maybe some kid over there would like to put the effort into saving it, and you could get more than scrap metal price for it.

the nearest one is in finland (travel expence with 2 cars is around 400.- EUR + the truck) - and that's in even worst condition than my truck is. Next one I found for sale is in portugal. Well travel there and back again costs more than the whole truck. There just isn't enough of these things around. 

But, who knows what the insain brain of ours thinks in the summer...

it will be for rallys also - there are 2 teams already driving hese things + some Volvo c303's. There is even a separate class for 4x4's. The van is more oe less my codrivers idea, he's mad about it. I would love more some kind of old microcar, but we are in this together so the next car is his choise.

I'll be driving the Datsun until June so, still 6 months to go with it.

First I'll get it ready for this years winter rally.

http://forum.automoto.ee/showthread.php?tid=46518

In here you can find the partisipants

I'd vote C202 or 303 but then I'm partial to Volvos. I owned a UniMog about 12 years ago. It was great, if I get into something like that again it'll probably be a C202 troop truck, or a Pingauer.

I'd love a C202,but well the c202 costs around 5000€ for a proper one. + I need to get defence forces paperwork for the military vehicle - as they will but it on there list of machinery. I'll me the owner but they can use it without notice in case of martial law. UAZ is a civilian van also so no problems with that.

Update on the truck - ground in the valves. Cilinder 2 exhaust valve had a small burnt in hole that leaked. Ground that out and now all are nice and tight. Finaly found valve stem seals for a J15 engine.

First offer was 40 days wait and cost 4.- € a piece. Second one from locan Nissan dealer 12.- € and 1,5 week wait. Third is by measurment and other cars not original J15 code 1.50 € and 3 day waiting time. Also new alternator belt, that was 2 hours order time. 

Fixed up the fender hole - lets but it like this - we did shit from shit. As there isn't any point in trying to make things the right way. Just but on the cab enge new metal sheel welded that to the Datsuns foil. And one metal piece to the fender to fix up the hole. On that a lot of putty. We where inspired by an old saying in here: "Vodka buries all the troubles, putty cover all the shit" It will last the time I need.

The block and head survaces are all cleaned out. Cleaned the cilinder tops and out came that they are size +50. So someone has allready overhalled the engine @ some point. The engine turns over nice and  smooth. I can turn it by hand with ease. The waterchannel holes have some corrosion damage. The last owner didn't use coolant, but water.

On another issue - we finaly got cold and snow. It was so fun this morning. Can't wait to get the truck back in action and enjoy the RWD action.

Sorry, way to long of a video for me, way to early in the morning for me, and I hate driving in the snow with other people. :lol:

At least you get in your vehicle and move, the people around here drive 20mph even when they are on the freeway, drives me crazy, so I just don't go out when it is snowing.

I made it to 6 minutes.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

well its more or less usual to us. This was nice and slow (trucks on the road) 80km/h on slippery roads. You can here there is no traction what so ever with 300Nm of torque (220 lb ft). Datsun would be more fun :) But the roads aren't the worst. They where medium in traction. Look @ the 8 minute mark and forward to have some idea of traction. We have had so icy roads then driving @ 90 in top gear you couldn't give any throttle to the car as the wheels would just spin. Braking distance was more or less 200-300 meeters. I'll me using this cam in the rally this year and hope to mix together a shorter video. Didn't bother to cut this thing this time. Its this how long it takes me to drive to work. 

Nice project!

ps Let me know if you need any parts from Finland. :)

onko teillä paika josta saa halvalla datsunin tavara? Mulla on ohjamo ihan hirveässa kunnosa monesta paikasta, ruoste syö sen pois. Virossa ei ole mitän saadavalla. Lähni paika josta saisi midän on taiwaani ja siinäkin on hinnat isommat kun mun auton hinta.

the engine is back together now. Adjusted the valves  - most where to open and two where to tight. Now there are all new seals in the head, rocker cover and made new gasgets for the pushrod covers alsol Installed them with special glue for better sealing. Then new manifold gasgets - someone who had done this previously had forgoten to tighthen up the polts that hold the manifold and center was leaking. Still need 3 new claps for coolant lines, coolant (-35 deg one) and that is it, ready again. 

The hole on the fender is now all smooth and painted + matt black decal over that to match the hood.

As for local weather - its nice and wintery -17 deg C. We have little snowfall every day. So I hope it will last until the rally.

been a little bit  distracted from the datsun whis week. Just bought a newer daily driver - a Honda Civic 5 door 2004. A 1.4L ecodriver. My Volvo uses 12,4L/100km in the winter and honda uses 6,5L/100km. For everyday workrun its economical. Today or tomorow I hope I can get the datsun up and running again. When I do, I'll but the cam in there and drive it to work :)

large_28560221_vEYp.jpg

this is what it looks like. I think you didn't get these in there. This thing is just a car - you just don't get any emotion in it. Point A - to point B with no fun. I enjoy driving my Volvo R - this Civic is 2 times less of a driverscar. But 20km to work and back its perfect.

Its a 7th generation 5dr hatchback 2003-2004 facelift model

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Civic_(seventh_generation)

Got it for 1,5K EUR. The normal price in here is around 3,4K EUR. It was my father-in-laws daily driver. He got a 2012 Corolla so he sold it to me cheap.

PS. Nice and cold in here windchill -16.6F

Truck runs again.Holds its liquids and doesn't leak. The fuelmixture needs to be adjusted. It is just way to rich @ the moment. But well it doesn't get extra air trough the manifold seals and so on. I hope now the adjustment even had proper effect.

I'll drive it to work tomorow.

got it running again. Had to realy lean out the mixture as it didn't get any extra air in. Still needs a proper adjustment, but it runs and better than before.

At low revs when driving you almost can't hear the engine - the exhaust is also properly sealed and doesn't leak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYJH_mgQAqk

• Like 1

What a cool thread. I cant believe I missed this.

Great job on making this truck work for you. I imagine parts are an issue for you. Sounds like you kay have a connection in Finland now. If not, my vote goes to the Pingauer. Oh how I would love one of those rigs.

• 2 weeks later...

yesterday drove the truck a little. Readjusted the carb - as on start up it just flowed the engine and didn't start. Took out my 1978 LADA manual (in russian) and with that got the LADA carb adjusted enough to the truck running then just adjusted the idle. 

Discovered that my throttle cable was just to tight and that didn't let the butterfly close fully. So the adjustments didn't work the carb got to much fuel. 

Mixture screw was just 1 turn open before - well by the manual it had to be minimum on 2,5 turns open. Same went to the idle adjustment. 

After adjusting the throtle cable and the mixture screw to default postion, let the idle just 1 turn open, the truck started up fine, but no idle. After that got the idle screw open 2,5 turns and it has nice fast idle. She doesn't stall any more with quick throtle input.

But the truck has now a bit more power. Even with bad adjustment is was sideways most of the time I drove her - no traction even with studed tyres. 

Rally is going to be interesting this year. Its been around 0 in here for a week now. So it all melts in the day time and freezes in the night time. 

Its more or less like this - where the sun shines on the surfacec it will be muddy and wet, where its in the shadows then ice and snow mix.

The start is on the 22nd. This year I hook the camera in to record the whole drive. I hope to get @ least some cool events.