Oldtimers rallycar - Datsun 1500 Pickup (620) 1979

Aibast

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like you have 3 different types of rims, sometimes it looks to have stock 620 rims, other times they look like 720 rims, and now you have chrome rims from something else, which look the best at this time.

Do you have the 620 hubcaps for your 620 rims?

I have the set the car came wirh - the ones that where on. Flaking bad paint

Then I have a set of 14" Mazda wheels - rusti silver paint

The third set is the chromed ones and I think they came from nissan pickup/datsun 720. That is where the guy I bougth them sayd they came from. He once had a 720 but took it to the scraper over 10 years ago, the wheels where the only things he kept.

no hubcaps - I never had these and I think I can't get any in here to. But I now have  the chromed ones and I like these. Made the truck look better and gave me more motivation to fix the body rust.

Got one thing from my parts guy. With the OEM code he found what I needed in 2 minutes and the parts where here from poland in 1 day. All the european major parts catalogs don't show Datsun 1500 Pickup or Datsun 620. But with OEM codes the warehouses are full. This J15 engine upper gasget set cost me 12.- EUR :)

large_28392793_SCeu.jpg

It has all the gasget for head overhaul. I've done the compression test on the J15, all good on that part. But now I can remove the head and it oil leaking gasgets and do some magic on it.

Polish the ports and so on. + I can finaly adjust the vale clearance, Haven't done that cos I didn't have a new gasget. But now I do :)

met up with some local Volvo guys who where offroading there XC's. Had a go 2 one hill with my truck - well made it to half hill, that was it. No more - one wheel drive isn't for offroading.

Here it a XC70 on the same hill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On7NmvpHdYA

large_28410113_voRE.jpg

Plans for the truck are next:

1.Finish friends V6 Ford - the new headgasget we but in was defective - took everything apart again and in went the new one.

2. Datsun to the garage and remove the head

3. new headgasget, grind in the valves, new sealt, port-maching and some minor channel cleaning.

4. But all together, adjust the valve clearance

5. New camcover seal and off to carby guy for adjustment.

6. pray that things work better and no more oil leaking out from the engines head.  :angel:

• 1 month later...

Sorry for being away for a long time. Been messing around with other things and the trucks is standing as I left it. Well, going to drive this thing to the forrest to get some xmas trees to keep up the pagan tradition of celebrating beginning of a new year. This time I hope I can fix my oldschoold olympus C-5060 camera on the car to make a vid of the road I have to use to get there. 620 is much higher than my R volvo so should be easyer this year and not scrape the bottom on rocks + no need for a traier :)

well truck suprised me in a good way. It drove nice in mud and rough roads. On the way back the carb froze - it was +2C outside and high moisture so the carb started to build up with ice. Hooked up the warm air intake on the road and that melted it all up again and it drove home fine.

Here are some pics.

Friend with his tree walking on an animal trail. Parked the car on there feeding ground. Locan hunters bring animals food there every winter.

large_28495999_VfYK.jpg

some tracks

large_28496005_KNl2.jpg

just some shots

large_28496009_WHBG.jpg

large_28496013_5k1i.jpg

3 trees are in the bed under the cover.

large_28496021_MZX5.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVAURbzrppw&feature=youtu.be

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

we started in engine repairs and also desided to fix the rust issue on one of the fenders - well a crack in the fender ended up a hole cut in there. As the cut-out was mostly rust held together by paint. Keeping the fender on the truck to get the shape right also body side needs repairs also. We looked around the car and well - this year will me this trucks last - when the MOT ends in  june  the truck will go to recycling. Reason is simple - the cab is held together by paint and rust. And getting a new cab costs more than the whole truck.

large_28523623_Jq0E.jpg

I bet a cab cut into pieces would be much cheaper to ship!

Still no point in that. Like said before  - one new fender in here costs 180 € + shipping.  We will but in there new sheet metal and shape it to fit. Spotweld it in place, some filler and paint. It will last this years rallys.

The front part that holds the lights and grill is still attached to rest of the cab by two thin metal strips. Everything else has rusted away. Need to add some metal braces there also. The frame under tha cab has rusted this and flexes around. So fixing this thing up isn't worth the money and most importantly the time. I think we are starting to look for next project car to do. 

We will be looking int o UAZ 452 - a 4x4 russian army van with a diesel conversion.

800px-UAZ-Bus.jpg

And turn that into a travel-camper van. Something like this

738490.jpg

hey you all. Took the J15 head apart and well there aren't any valve stem seals? All the heads I've taken apart so far have these things. Only Volvo B200 series engine didn't have them on the exhaust valves.

Any of you have J15 torqueing specs/list?

Update:

Found that originaly nissan didn't use valve stem seals on J15, but the J15 forklift engine did get an update with stem seals install. So I found a parts code for that.

Still looking for proper headbolt/nut torque specs, found one source that its 55Nm - thats like a joke to me - usualu head polts get 20NM + to 40-50Nm + 90deg. So I still need a proper info on that.

well, the headnuts where on not so tightly so maby it realy is that little 45 ft.lb is around 60 Nm. It might be realistic. The sequence is classical from out to in on both sides together?

Just wanted to say I love your thread and have since I first joined Ratsun . That little yellow 620 seems like a part of all us,and it will be a bummer when its gone .

The fact is we all try to build a rig that reflects our personal preference. And in the process we build a functional piece of the past that will serve us faithfully. And you have done than perfectly ! If you parked that truck anywhere in the world and sent out a search party to find it. It would be found !

Anyhow man reading the 620 is on er way out sucks. But that van would be awesome ! It's a van & 4x4 ! If it was a datsun it would be perfect !

• Like 1

The head torque sequence is as follows, (1) pass side center(2), driverside back from center, (3)pass side back one from center, (4) driverside sightly forward from center, (5)pass. side one forward from center, (6)back driverside, (7)back pass side, (8)front driverside, (9)front pass. side, (10)rear center, (11)front center

Basically it is from the center and work your way out, and it is to be torqued to 45 ft lbs.

• Like 1