With only a dime and a dream.

DatMo

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because theyre cheaper and easy to install. Just swap out the old ones for the new ones.

St suspension should do the trick. I think I've found a good set of 280zx aseemblys. They're a little rusted but nothin to cause problems.

are there any good sites selling the st suspension? I found one but they were $200.

Find them used. Will be way cheaper...

If you ever plan to sell yours, I'll be glad to buy them.

The set 280zx assemblys are bolt on correct? I'm going to attempt to do it by myself but then my dad mentioned something about the brake pump?

Or i miss heard him but I'm asking to assure myself. I just need to take the old ones off and bolt them on. as simple as that. and get the brake lines and they'll work fine?

The zx struts need coilovers to fit on a 510, the stock zx springs dont fit in the 510 strut towers. Other than that and brake lines they are a straight bolt in. Since yours is a 68 i would suggest that you get ball joints from 70-73 510, they are a larger stud diameter, if you get the steering knuckles with the zx struts you can upgrade to the larger balljoint. if not i would get new balljoints no matter what

The zx struts need coilovers to fit on a 510, the stock zx springs dont fit in the 510 strut towers. Other than that and brake lines they are a straight bolt in. Since yours is a 68 i would suggest that you get ball joints from 70-73 510, they are a larger stud diameter, if you get the steering knuckles with the zx struts you can upgrade to the larger balljoint. if not i would get new balljoints no matter what

So the new ball joints are a must? I'm going to purchase these coilovers : http://www.ground-control-store.com/products/description.php/II=849/CA=27

I'm in the process of getting enough money to buy my front zx assemblies. I'm going to get brake lines next week as well. Are balljoints something I could install on my own?

Where would i get new ball joints?

new ball joints can be had at an autoparts store and can be done easily, 4 bolts hold it too the lower control arm, one bolt holds it to the knucle and the knucle has two bolts that bolt it to the bottom of the strut assembly, i have the same coilovers, if the suspension can wait i would save my money and buy the whole kit front and rear, comes with camber plates and strut inserts, saves you some money in the long run

new ball joints can be had at an autoparts store and can be done easily, 4 bolts hold it too the lower control arm, one bolt holds it to the knucle and the knucle has two bolts that bolt it to the bottom of the strut assembly, i have the same coilovers, if the suspension can wait i would save my money and buy the whole kit front and rear, comes with camber plates and strut inserts, saves you some money in the long run

You're saying I should save and get these in the long run? I don't plan to camber or anything and was probably going to get st springs for my rear end.

Would I take my old ballkoint and they can make me a new one or I can purchase one there? .

http://www.ground-control-store.com/products/description.php/II=759/CA=27

I would worry about why your car not starting/killing the battery first

You do that Battery test as in the vid link I sent you.??????????

Yeah, it turned out to be the alternator. Thanks a lot.

good idea, going with the 280zx front strut assemblies is one of the best ways to go for a brake upgrade. keep in mind that the zx assemblies are 2" shorter than stock 510 so you will need to lower the rear, unless you like that old school muscle car rake

good idea, going with the 280zx front strut assemblies is one of the best ways to go for a brake upgrade. keep in mind that the zx assemblies are 2" shorter than stock 510 so you will need to lower the rear, unless you like that old school muscle car rake

I'm actually on the search for st springs but cant seem to find any for a decent price otherwise i'd jump on them.

I'm also going soon to get the brake lines and I need to find a place that makes the balljoints you told me i need to replace.

Good luck finding ball joints for the 68, they have smaller ball joints compared to 70-73 510. I ended up swapping 70-73 contol arms and ball joints because I could not find 11mm(don't quote me on that exact size) ones for 68

Where'd you get the control arms from? I heard they're some what pricy. I was thinking I could just go with the control arms that were on sale on futo fab.

But then I don't even know if that would be good enough.

What does it mean by adjustable though? http://www.futofab.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=22&Itemid=22

Fuck shit man. Who is writing in this thread? I know the brother of the owner of this car. There cars are soooo fucken easy to work on. It was pretty much driveable last time i saw it, wtf happen?

The car is pretty clean honestly. But common! Just swap that new trans in. Change the brakes, and add the seats. YOUR GOOD TO GO! Wax it, add gas, and drive it.