With only a dime and a dream.

DatMo

my rear lights werent even turning on before hand but now they turn on when i pull the switch. but when i press brakes, nothing. I'll get into this wed.

but thanks.

Also my car doesnt have a horn. And the guy put some ghetto alarm system. It's just a beep when you turn on the car.

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still wondering if I should do the 280zx conversion.

68's have disc brakes already but I want the upgrade because I know it will be enhancing the car. 

Plus cheaper easier parts to find for them.

Conversion worth it or not? 

• 1 month later...

Yes, I understand everyone hates my thread because I can't get pictures.

I've been coming close to finishing the car and soon plan to get an engine swap.

I'm in the process of completing with my interior but I do have to weld my center console because who ever tried removing the car form a column shifter to normal shifter completely screwed up the hole. 

As I was saying, I got offered an l20 from a guy down the street that's trying to rid of his datto parts.

I was wondering if I could get some opinions if I should get the l20b and build or it just go ahead and save up for the common swaps (ka/sr)

My car is a daily!!! so it doesnt need too much power but I want a quick cruiser that could put me back in my seat on a long stretch of road. 

If anyone replies. lol. thanks. 

I vote L20. You are absolutely brand new to cars... without being mean, I'm sure you would struggle rebuilding and swapping in the L20. Take your time with the car and learn. You haven't even finished doing the basic things and you're already talking about an SR.

• Like 1
I vote L20. You are absolutely brand new to cars... without being mean, I'm sure you would struggle rebuilding and swapping in the L20. Take your time with the car and learn. You haven't even finished doing the basic things and you're already talking about an SR.

Yeah i completely understand what you're saying but I would pay for the or sr swap. By no means would I do that myself.

The only swap I would consider doing myself is the l20 because it's so similar to the l16. 

Would it give me the bit of extra power I would want without too much? I would want to build the l20 altohugh I heard it's a lot and more difficult than just getting the ka or sr. 

Thanks for the advice! 

Its like the easiest swap...

What people say by the KA being easier is that in stock for its an extra 50hp, EFI, and more reliable. The price of a decent L20 can be around the price of a KA sometimes, so a lot of people just opt for a KA. But the L20 is near drop in where the KA needs all this extra stuff. 

If youre close to poor just get a good running L20 and call it a day. Youre probaly looking at $800 maybe for a KA install and nearly $4000+ for an SR build. 

Its like the easiest swap...

What people say by the KA being easier is that in stock for its an extra 50hp, EFI, and more reliable. The price of a decent L20 can be around the price of a KA sometimes, so a lot of people just opt for a KA. But the L20 is near drop in where the KA needs all this extra stuff. 

If youre close to poor just get a good running L20 and call it a day. Youre probaly looking at $800 maybe for a KA install and nearly $4000+ for an SR build. 

That's what I've been told because the l20 is relatively close in size to the l16 just sits a bit higher.

I'll have around 2.5k relatively soon so I thought the ka would be an easy option. 

I would love to build the l20 because I think carbs are so much cooler than fuel inject.

I've heard that dual carbs arent a good option because of the heat problem and gas? 

I did some research about them but didnt find too much.

You obviously need more research. Like I said, youre brand new. I would recommend you applying whatever money youre getting toward reliable parts. Learn on your car and figure something out. If you jump straight into crazy builds and swaps with no background youre not going to have a good time. This isnt a race for "Best Datsun."

You obviously need more research. Like I said, youre brand new. I would recommend you applying whatever money youre getting toward reliable parts. Learn on your car and figure something out. If you jump straight into crazy builds and swaps with no background youre not going to have a good time. This isnt a race for "Best Datsun."

Thanks. I think I will follow your steps and like oyu said swap in an l20 and call it a day. 

I'll start building it once I understand more and have a better feel on the car. 

Appreciate it. thanks lots. btw, your car looks awesome. the color of the rims and the mint green look good. sucks for that flat. 

I kind lukred your thread. lol 

No worries. I appreciate the compliments... yeah, I seem to have bad luck with flats, but Im pretty sure that its the shit tires I was buying. Oh well, live and learn. Like yourself, I should have some money coming my way so the build should be coming out of its dormant state here soon. I need to get it ready for Nissanfest and Canby. 

No worries. I appreciate the compliments... yeah, I seem to have bad luck with flats, but Im pretty sure that its the shit tires I was buying. Oh well, live and learn. Like yourself, I should have some money coming my way so the build should be coming out of its dormant state here soon. I need to get it ready for Nissanfest and Canby. 

I'll look forward to seeing the car completely done. I'll look forward to completing mine as well. 

the only meets ive been to are those damn innout and jccs. 

no problem. I'm sure every guy could appreciate a real car build. 

besides my generation. If you dont have an illest sticker or slammed, you're not cool. hahaha

Yeah, listen to tristin. My first 510 had a mild L20b and was powerful enough to get me into plenty of trouble. I also had a more built L18 that really hauled. Spend the money on quality parts, take your time and an L20b will be a ton of fun. Another option is find an L20b that someone else has built and just drop it in. Built L motors pop up from time to time.

• Like 1
Yeah, listen to tristin. My first 510 had a mild L20b and was powerful enough to get me into plenty of trouble. I also had a more built L18 that really hauled. Spend the money on quality parts, take your time and an L20b will be a ton of fun. Another option is find an L20b that someone else has built and just drop it in. Built L motors pop up from time to time.

yeah. he usually always guides me in the direction even though i feel like i bug the hell out of him. lol

well a friend was selling his for $250 with some other stuff to me because I've helped him out awhile back and I thought that it was worth the swap.

I'm on the broke side but he'll hold it for me as well. I wanna finish my interior anyways. 

I was thinking of buying a built l20b but it's my car and I want to learn enough to build it on my own. If I screw up, I can only get pissed throw a screw driver and get at it the next day. 

Thanks for the help!

I fresh stock l20b has plenty of power in a 1 ton car. 

I'll look for a fresh one. I help I get the push in the seat that I'm looking for. Even if I don't, I can just build it until I do.  :thumbup:

My new KC has a bone stock rebuild and is plenty exciting. You can add some sidedrafts, cam, exhaust, and a head job for under a grand and be able to push 150hp I bet.

I have 2k to spend on my engine alone so I think I'll hit 150 hp. but hp isn't everything. like i said it's a daily. just want somethin fun under my hood.

I don't know what rims I want in the end. maybe ccw's but there ain't a way in hell I'm paying 2800 for a set. 

xxr reps but those arent much for quality. 

• 2 weeks later...

I heard that the 510 radiator can be sanded and polished into the bronze like color? is this true?

My radiator is already out and I'd love to do something like this but can't find much info on the web.

would I use the same radiator for an l20b? 

thanks