With only a dime and a dream.

DatMo

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are them.

All cars use shocks... you already have them.

Reading a lot of your replies and learning your knowledge base for cars... I would suggest you pick up a manual and read it quite a few times to learn the basics of the area youre working on. I would also Google whatever area youre trying to work on as well so you can get a general idea of how a car is put together and what each component is for. I would feel safer for yourself, other motorists, and the Datsun if I was 100% that you knew what you were doing before you tore into it.

Those are them.

All cars use shocks... you already have them.

Reading a lot of your replies and learning your knowledge base for cars... I would suggest you pick up a manual and read it quite a few times to learn the basics of the area youre working on. I would also Google whatever area youre trying to work on as well so you can get a general idea of how a car is put together and what each component is for. I would feel safer for yourself, other motorists, and the Datsun if I was 100% that you knew what you were doing before you tore into it.

I ordered an owners manual and they sent me something else so I had to return it. I'm waiting for mine to come still...

Good.

Everyone has to start out somewhere, but this thread is going to get ridiculous if not only do we have to answer every basic Datsun question you have, but every basic car question you have as well. I know youre new to both so no one is hating on you, but for your benefit (and ours) I would do as much reading as possible by spending a lot of time in the manual when you get it and on the internet trying to learn the basics of cars.

How does an internal combustion engine work?

Whats the basic flow path for the ignition system?

How does a carburetor work?

How does all of that fit together to make an engine run?

How does a basic car suspension work?

All of these you should be able to answer before you tear into the car. Id hate to see you injured, you injure someone else, or you lose hope in the car and scrap it because your knowledge isnt up to par and youre in over your head.

• Like 1

Good.

Everyone has to start out somewhere, but this thread is going to get ridiculous if not only do we have to answer every basic Datsun question you have, but every basic car question you have as well. I know youre new to both so no one is hating on you, but for your benefit (and ours) I would do as much reading as possible by spending a lot of time in the manual when you get it and on the internet trying to learn the basics of cars.

How does an internal combustion engine work?

Whats the basic flow path for the ignition system?

How does a carburetor work?

How does all of that fit together to make an engine run?

How does a basic car suspension work?

All of these you should be able to answer before you tear into the car. Id hate to see you injured, you injure someone else, or you lose hope in the car and scrap it because your knowledge isnt up to par and youre in over your head.

Yeah. I can see myself being somewhat of a burden. Thanks though. I'll stay off the forums and stick to some books for awhile.

I believe you also mentioned that your brother was familiar with cars? When you get the manual, read a section over a few times to where you think you have a decent understanding. Say the front suspension... Look over the diagrams, learn how a shock works, why is there a spring, whats a MacPherson strut/wishbone suspension, and then ask your brother for some help. Go outside, jack the car up and take the front wheel off. Then have him point out parts and pieces while you discuss what you learned in the manual and online. That will give you some hands on experience without tearing into something you cant put back together.

Im sure if you show a genuine interest and your brother really is into cars (and just isnt pretending), then he would be more than willing to help you learn. It may take for you to do his share of the lawn cutting one day, or you might have to buy him lunch, help him change his oil whatever... but he should help.

Next thing you know, youll be on your way to working on the car yourself.

I believe you also mentioned that your brother was familiar with cars? When you get the manual, read a section over a few times to where you think you have a decent understanding. Say the front suspension... Look over the diagrams, learn how a shock works, why is there a spring, whats a MacPherson strut/wishbone suspension, and then ask your brother for some help. Go outside, jack the car up and take the front wheel off. Then have him point out parts and pieces while you discuss what you learned in the manual and online. That will give you some hands on experience without tearing into something you cant put back together.

Im sure if you show a genuine interest and your brother really is into cars (and just isnt pretending), then he would be more than willing to help you learn. It may take for you to do his share of the lawn cutting one day, or you might have to buy him lunch, help him change his oil whatever... but he should help.

Next thing you know, youll be on your way to working on the car yourself.

I plan to. He's more of a honda guy but he knows ALL about them. He does all of his own engine work and such. I'm sure he could show me the basics and a good enough start. I bought a haynes owners manual but my brother said I might also need a service or parts manual because some cars have them in three different booklets? Should I buy owners manual? or service? Or all three because I'm surely going to get the parts manual. lol

How to rebuild your Datsun /nissan motor

Haynes manual.

olddatsuns.com the tech section

also my vid. also "youtube"

Tristin beat me to the punch.

read before we stop awnsering your questions.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes those are the ST springs but you have patience you can find USED ones. I gave a set of front ST springs away.

Thanks. I actually just watched your vid.

I believe there is carpet kits for 510 already out there.

first pull whats in there first and drive this in the rain before you just find out your growing mushrroms and rotton out the floor anymore.

I meself you clean it out fix any rust then rhirno line it or flx seal. then later carpet it.

Yep, good advice. Pull all the carpet out the look at the condition of your floorboards. Id give it a good cleaning too to make sure you know 100% what youre dealing with. Then fix any rust/holes etc. After that youre going to want to seal it with some POR-15 or the such. Then pick up some decent carpet (just go with 71DIMERs stuff... its the best bang for the buck) and matting.

You dont want to just throw new carpet over a messed up floor otherwise youre just going to hide the problems and youre going to either have your floorpans rust out of on you, youre going to have to keep replacing your carpet because water is getting through, or worse both.

I would just pick up either 71DIMERs carpet or get the press-fit stuff on eBay. Both are already made for 510 and arent terribly expensive. I dont know why you would want to try to make other shit fit when theres already tried and true products out there that work great.

Yep, good advice. Pull all the carpet out the look at the condition of your floorboards. Id give it a good cleaning too to make sure you know 100% what youre dealing with. Then fix any rust/holes etc. After that youre going to want to seal it with some POR-15 or the such. Then pick up some decent carpet (just go with 71DIMERs stuff... its the best bang for the buck) and matting.

You dont want to just throw new carpet over a messed up floor otherwise youre just going to hide the problems and youre going to either have your floorpans rust out of on you, youre going to have to keep replacing your carpet because water is getting through, or worse both.

I would just pick up either 71DIMERs carpet or get the press-fit stuff on eBay. Both are already made for 510 and arent terribly expensive. I dont know why you would want to try to make other shit fit when theres already tried and true products out there that work great.

I've already removed all the carpet and removed all the rust. I've just been waiting but 71dimer hasn't replied for some weeks now and his inbox is too full.

I was going to try using rods Datsun parts

Out of those you're going to want to pick up the 68-73 Haynes. The owners manual is what comes in the glove box when you first buy the car. It tells you how to operate the AC and stupid shit like that. It's not really needed.

Grab the Haynes and download a 68 FSM for more detailed information.

Out of those you're going to want to pick up the 68-73 Haynes. The owners manual is what comes in the glove box when you first buy the car. It tells you how to operate the AC and stupid shit like that. It's not really needed.

+1

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been evolving my car and as I came closer to completion, I realized I had no seat belts. I looked through certain threads but I have some extra honda belts that I would try to use rather than buying new ones unless they failed me. Has anyone down it before? I need three holes for the honda belt but my car only has two. Is it worth it to add another hole? And my manual has still not come in. Haynes is disappointing me. I've been waiting to learn and get a better understanding for so long.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...