Doors won't lock when open

So I got this 620 pick up. And it didn't come with a door key. So I put in some new locks and they work great. The problem is, I can only unlock and lock the doors of they are closed.

Which means if I have a passenger I have to have them get out close the door, I have to lock my door with the key and walk around and lock their door. Any ideas why?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate this "feature." I have actually thought about trying to remove it. And its not like Datsuns are hard to break into...

I have only ever locked my keys in my car once and learned my lesson quickly, and this was 4 years ago.

And Connor, why dont you just wait for your friend to close their door, and lock it from inside once its closed, get out and lock your door?

And Connor, why dont you just wait for your friend to close their door, and lock it from inside once its closed, get out and lock your door?

This is what I do.

It's a bit annoying for a feature, but regardless how careful I am, it's always nice to know I can't lock my keys in the car. Well worth the pain of using the key to lock it.

If my back doors are open, I do as previously stated and lock the fronts through the back. Then lock the door and close it... But then I make sure I jingle my keys in my hand to prove I have them before closing the door.

Seriously, this bothers some of you??

I too think it's a nice feature that was actually carried over from some American cars..........my '66 Dodge Coronet (big block car :)) 2 dr HT is this way as well, ya gotta have the key to lock it.

I also just today went to close my 620's door and not thinking left the keys in the ignition (was chatting on the phone) and in one motion attempted to push the lock down and shut the door.......luckily I was able to thankfully reopen the door and remove keys. :)

• 2 weeks later...

:rofl: Could not resist, after reading all the post, thanks for the laughs.

BTW my 80 Datsun 310 required locking the doors from the outside. My B210 you lift the handle, thus I carry an extra set of keys in my opposite pocket, in case I lock my keys inside. :blush: