Red 71 4dr - Carbed KA24DE

demo243

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That was going to be my next step…. then I scored a decent deal on another LSD unit… so now Im just going to build it into a LSD 4.44

You're gonna need 2 diffs........

1 for auto-x....

......the other for track :devil:

• Like 1

You're gonna need 2 diffs........

1 for auto-x....

......the other for track :devil:

Im gonna have 4 diffs…..

a 3.7  for the trek to canby...

a 3.9 LSD + a 4.11 LSD for street and autoX duty… depending on the course...

and a 4.44 for straight AutoX duty...

I might have an obsession…..

I can't help it… they are sooooo easy to work on…. and Im pretty stoked for this 4.44….. are you ready for acceleration ???? This is gonna be some Fast and Furious shit… with shifts every half a second lol

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Alright… 4.44 is in the car!!!! Took a lot more work then expected… ended up tearing apart the LSD unit and shimming it up… it was breaking away at 35 ft lbs or so… which is way to loose… its shimmed up to about 70 ft lbs now… better but i would like it higher. Definitely works though, let off the clutch kinda quick and high rpm and the backend just stepped sideways.

Then I took the 4.11 out of the car and spent forever trying to wrestle the 4.44 in before realizing the driveshaft flange was different…. and wouldn't fit through the x-member without going perfectly straight in… which can't be done with the spare tire well...

Thankfully I've got a donor housing now so a quick trip to Busta's place to borrow his air tools and we had it switched over.

bolted it all up this afternoon. It is definitely quick! my speedo is definitely off, will need to run my phone to try and figure out how much… but i thinks its about 5mph off which means at 55 I'm running about 3k rpm. definitely not gearing for the trip to canby,… but should be super fun on the back roads.

Now for pictures. I didn't take any at Busta's place… I think Skyblue has a couple of swapping the flange...

Lets just start with  this one… Damnn what a good looking car

The insides of an LSD unit - The center has the spider gears, the top and bottom are the clutches

Pabst Blue Ribbon FTW!!! Read on another forum that you can make your own shims from cans… so why not… unfortunately i couldn't find any pics when i did it so hopefully this is right??? some poor bastard is gonna buy this from me one day and open it up and be like WTF!?!?!

Then I went to put it in… wrestled with it forever… took a hammer to the spare tire well to get more clearance… still couldn't get it in…. pulled it out and put it next to my other one and the flanges are different sized. Old subaru on the left… new subaru on the right (datsun ones are rectangular) the big difference is the old subaru/ datusn is 4.5cm and 5.5cm (I think)  eye to eye and the new subaru is 5.5cm all around.

I might have a problem… 4.44 LSD up front (still had the subaru flange); Top is the 4.11 LSD; Bottom Left to Right - 3.9 LSD, 3.7 Open, old grenaded 3.9 open… now donor diff

Bolted up

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Not too much to update- spent Saturday at busta's place. Tore apart a spare set of front struts I got a little while back. Guess I scored ... Already cut down and had some nice tokiko inserts that seem to still be decent. Will probably run em for a bit. Now I just need to scrape some cash together to get a coil over kit.

Pics

• Like 3

Thanks- I was a little nervous tearing it apart but these things are pretty simple

There is a thread in one of the z forums about someone making them.

Could most definitely be done on a cnc. Might be a market for it, since I am pretty sure those parts are NLA and the only supplier is in Japan.

As for the 4.44 ... It's really fun... Just not on the highway.... 75 at ~3,800rpm

More goodies - returned some stuff to JEGS used the PayPal return credit to pick this up from Summit. Pretty stoked. Quality seems awesome! Can be mounted to the roll bar via clamps or hard mounted via machine screws/bolts. Adaptable to most fire extinguishers as they mount using clamps. The ones they offered looked pretty nice so I grabbed those too.

Drake Motorsports fire extinguisher bracket

Now the question is where to mount it... Either back on the cage in the backseat or up front on the passenger side along the trans tunnel. Thinking of doing it up front so I can actually reach it from the driver seat

Signed up for the April 4th Track Day @ Thunder Hill! Pretty Stoked!!

Question now becomes what do I focus on first…. Coil overs or upgrade brakes...

Was originally leaning toward doing coil overs… but now I am starting to think of Brakes. Its possible I may end up doing both… 

Basically right now looking at either the DP racing Kit with 10" Vented rotors and Wilwood Calipers or possibly running 200sx stuff….

Also stumbled upon some vented drilled and slotted rotors that supposedly will fit w/ stock 510 brakes… not sure if I believe it

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/65521-stoptech-vented-drilledslotted-rotors-…-for-stock-510-brakes/

I have always wanted to stick with the Stock 510 struts to keep all geometry the same (and since I have a spare pair that has already been cut and welded), also so that I can run 13's. 

I might have access to some 200sx Struts… but sounds like it will be just as expensive…. They will need new rotors and pads, as well as coil over conversion… and the kicker, custom bump steer spacers.

Anyone run the DP racing kit? 

Done some searching, but have found much on it.

Ahhh my head is spinning… too much time on Ratsun and the inter web...

Pretty much have it narrowed down to either the DP Racing Wilwood kit w/ 10.25 vented rotors or S12 200sx stuff...

Leaning toward the Wilwood set up. Its more expensive but sticks with my original plans with sticking with 510 struts… 

We will see though - 510T will be letting me borrow his 200sx stuff to do a test fit/comparison to see if they will work.

Also with the Wilwood set up, I can run it with my current suspension set up that I am comfortable with, and won't have to do coil over  fronts immediately and potentially end up with a miss matched suspension front and rear.

Started to do some prep for comparisons...

Looks like i already have shortened struts on the car. - guestimate measurements since the top of the strut housing has these at 13.5" based on feel. My other cut down struts I was going to use for coil overs are at 14"… pretty close

Also looks like shaft clamps have been used for a while...

The catch is I have some very tight fitment with my wheels….. this clearance is WITH 10mm spacers

Since I know these fit… makes me lean more toward DP Racings Wilwood kit… catch is I want to do coil overs at some point and was planning on using shaft clamps… at least for dialing it in. From my measurements it looks like I need a coil over sleeve that is either less then 4" or about 8"… I believe t3's are 7" which might be just too short which will make the shaft clamp interfere with wheel/tire… need to call GC. Also going to order some shaft clamps tomorrow to use so I can test fit.

Should have 510Ts 200 SX stuff tomorrow as well to continue test fitting.

Oh yea- noticed this as well

Is the nut/bolt supposed tot be centered on the spacer??? that spacer is definitely tight on the lower suspension components … and those joints definitely need some love...

• Like 2