demo243

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thunderhill on Saturday with Tyler mike and Antony

I'll have the gopro running for sure.

Got lazy this weekend and left the 4.44 in ... Will bring the 4.11 as a spare just in case.

The. After the track day the 4.44 is coming out- needs to be shimmed more, lsd is breaking to easily

• Like 1

Well… my first track day was bitter sweet…

First session went really well. Car handled great and was driving well. Before my second session I pulled the filters off the velocity stacks to get a bit more out of the car , and it worked. She pulled strong all the way through 7k. 

Unfortunately toward the end of my second session I lost all my top end power and barely managed to limp it off the track in 2nd with my foot to the floor.

Lots of investigation finally let us to realize that the rear carb was getting completely starved of fuel. Pulled it all apart to find the needle stuck in an angled position.. doesn't completely make sense.. but that is what was messing it up, as I put it all back together and it worked fine.

I missed the 3rd session during all that so I snuck out into the 4th with the car working again… but 2 laps in it did it again… limped it off track in 2nd and tore it apart. Decided at that point it was best to quit while I was ahead and headed home. Made it home without any problems.

So not sure what my next plans are… but the carbs definitely need some tuning.

video to come
  • Like 2

Back under the knife shell go this week….

Gotta pull the 4.44 out again and rebuild it… still not shimmed tight enough so the LSD breaks to easily… and now I need to figure out more about rebuilding these carbs and tuning them. 

On a bright note I learned a hell of a lot about carbs today 

• Like 3

Some fresh internals and a good dip should do it.........

..........it''s not like these were sitting on a shelf for years and years.....

That's the plan- pull em - clean em and rebuild em. Question is which size needle valves ... Need to do some digging

• Like 1

Alright carb parts are ordered- called up pierce manifolds and they had everything including the special DCOM rebuild kit. Bumping up to a 200 needle valve to get some more fuel in the bowl at high rpms ... Which might be partially why I had the issue of it getting stuck... Also gonna try some different filters . I'll post em when the show up.

... And since the carbs will be off already I ordered up a T3 heat shield as well

• Like 4

Dam those guys at pierce are fast- ordered yesterday at 1 here today at 11

DDD67674-49E1-47AE-B4D2-569CFA8E366D.jpg

i have a set of these as well, they run into the shock tower and seem like it would rob the cyclinders of air.  I noticed a loss of power too.......

Let me know how they fit and work for you...

• Like 1

Yea they might not work... Definitely gonna have an issue with the rear carb and the brake master... But I've got a pretty short manifold so I've got more room - ~ 2" between the horn and the master

Any filter will restrict flow compared to open. Hence why I pulled mine off for the second session at the track.

These are more for street use to keep crap out of my motor... Like the sand cloud I drove through on my way home from the track... With no filters on... Doooohhhh... Was hoping for something that was easy on and off but had better filtering then just steel mesh.

If they don't work I'll just exchange em for those steel mesh caps you all run

• Like 2

good call..

You should go ahead and buy the second pic from thunder hill, looks fucking rad the way the road is with the car!!!

I probably will ... Only 16 bucks for a 18x12

Will try and get the high res shot too

• Like 2

Well got my carbs parts yesterday and started taking this apart.... Pulled off the front carb and found this....

Bummer... I guess it's time for new carbs... So the question is weber or mikuni and 40 or 45.... Hmmm

Oh yea this came in today too

• Like 2

Got some work done-

Got the steering box brace in- had to get creative with a punch to mark the spots to drill but made it work.

Kit comes with regular nuts and lock washers.. But I went with nylocks instead

As for the carb issue... I've decided I'm going to get new ones . Leaning toward mikunis ... Possibly 44s ... Only worry is they will be too big for the motor... But I can always choke em down a little

• Like 3

Couple updates... No photos unfortunately...

Talked with Todd @ Wolfcreek Racing - decided I am going to run Mikuni 44s- unfortunately this comes with a wait ... 5-6 weeks for Todd to rebuild then and set them up for my setup... Bummer... But she will run like a champ when they are on there.

If anyone has a spare single sidedrafts manifold, it would be great to borrow it and atleast have the car running ... Although running the DCOM as a single probably requires re jetting...

DCOMs will be up for sale once I get my mikunis... Oh and looking at the broken one, it looks like it was repaired there before, so this isn't the first time

As for the T3 heatshield... It's not gonna work without some tweaking... The shorty Mikuni manifold I'm running puts it too close to the header and it hits the rear exhaust tube... Will have to wait till I have the carbs and then will look into custom bending it

Also- 4.44 lsd is back out of the car and the 4.11 back in place. Really like the 4.44 as it's super quick, fun around town and was great at thunder hill west... But it sucks on the highway... And the lsd unit is slipping way to easily. Need to shim it up more

• Like 1

In doing some research for Todd to get an idea of what I am running for a compression ration I did some spying down the spark plug holes to get an idea of what pistons are in this motor. Since I have pretty much no history on the motor itself I have no clue if it has been bored out or not.

It appears to have a dished piston with valve reliefs cut into them… any thought on which pistons these might be?

L20b pistons were dished but had no reliefs… from what I can tell

Its possible they are Z20s pistons? or maybe l28 pistons? my research seems show that these were both dished and had reliefs…

Or they could be aftermarket… IDK...

What is involved in pulling the head? this is really my first entry into motor work.

Oh and it looks like I have a w58 head… so nothing special… unless its a super rare closed chamber w58… doubtful

• Like 1