Red 71 4dr - Carbed KA24DE

demo243

Ok time for another update-

Spent way to much time in the garage today. But I tend to work kinda slow with lots of beer breaks...

Also spent some time driving out to Oakland… 

Ive been meaning to pick up a Cordless Impact for a while now. Mostly for changing wheels at the track/autoX but also for those random pain in the ass bolts and what not.

Decided to pick this one up only to find it wasn't available anywhere near pacifica… not wanting to wait I ordered it from Oakland and cruised out to pick it up

Hot Damn I should have picked one of these up so much sooner… makes life much easier.

Put the second Coilover together

Then got to work on replacing the ball joints… These things didn't want to budge

Had to get a little creative since all my jack stands were being used to hold the car up. ---- I didn't want to pull it completely off since I didn't want to mess with the tie rods

• Like 1
  • Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Decided to take a break from real work and tore apart the struts that were on the car.

They were shortened 510 struts with a adjustable perch on Bilsteins… both of which had puked most of their oil into the the strut housing.

But here is the info on them

Seems they are maybe Rabbit shocks?? 

They are pretty short

After pulling everything apart

Whoever cut and welded these did a really nice job. I will definitely we holding on to these and most likely end up using them after a good sandblasting. They measure in at 15" total length 

The original split clamp

• Like 1

Unfortunately I forgot to measure the stance before I tore it apart… but here is how she sits now.

The top of both front fender openings are sitting at 23" almost exactly and the rear passenger is at 23 and driver at 23.5.

I can probably squeeze an extra 1/4" out of the front but any more and the tire will rub the adjusting ring

Ill get out and drive it tomorrow to see how she feels and get some more shots.

Didn't get to everything on my list yet though,… Still need to

-drain transmision

-Check speedo gear

-refill trans

Hoping that will help some of the trans noise Ive got going on and help figure out why my speedo is bouncing above 50 and reading so hi

• Like 3

Car rides great! steering it super light now… to  the point I almost thought something was wrong hahaha. Practically no  body roll… as to be expected… and almost if not no squat.

Needs to get on the rack though … pulls to the right a bit...

Oh yea! Throttle response is absurd now that I have the cable tight. And heal toe'in is perfect

Here are a few more pics.

I don't think Posted this… old vs new springs

As she sits now..

Got a little bit of rake… Might cut a 1/4 coil off the rears, but don't want to go too much since they are such a high springs rate already…. so may be that with a 1/2 inch higher up front would work well

• Like 3

I did nothing!!

I can get those inserts from our good part source.........

..........I was gonna use them but found no point when you don't need struts that short.....

.....the frame will hit the ground before you finish your travel........

Mine does and I'm on MR2 inserts with a bump stop........

• Like 1

I did nothing!!

..........I was gonna use them but found no point when you don't need struts that short.....

Mine does and I'm on MR2 inserts with a bump stop........

I guess that's a good point those short struts had a stock spring perch above them. So the shortened ones I am using now are still effectively shorter the. What I was using before

I did nothing!!

Mine does and I'm on MR2 inserts with a bump stop....... 

Tire diameter increase and no ride height change may necessitate them. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Update! 

Haven't done much to the car since the coil overs - still need to cut another 1/4 coil from the rear to level it out a bit. I did add some "Fuck You" horns though 

The bigger update came in the purchase of a big hunk of metal….

While I had been adamant about sticking with a L motor a few things have swayed me…..

So I have gone to the dark side….

And purchased a Twin Cam KA

Yea that happened… wasn't planning on doing anything big motor wise for 6 months to a year… but couldn't pass this deal up.  

Gotta love craiglist

Scored the KA about 10 miles away and then the same morning scored a sweet engine hoist for dirt cheap and a free stand practically around the corner from my house

• Like 4

The crane made life much easier!

Stashed it away…  but it didn't stay for long

Don't know much about KA's so if anyone has insight into these, info would be appreciated. Don't know what year its from. 

Damn there is a lot of emissions stuff on this… 

Good thing I won't be needing it  :ninja:  :ninja:  :ninja:  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:

• Like 3

Also managed to snag a 5 speed KA trans as well - 

Skyblue decided he didn't want to sit in traffic on his way back from the East Bay so he hit the Richmond Pick and Pull and scored this trans from under a 240 

Thanks!!!!!!

I owe you a beer this weekend.

• Like 5

Once its all torn down it will probably sit for a bit… I figure it will still be 6-12 months before it ends up in the car… but well see that timeline might get sped up as it sits in my garage.

The plan is to run my Mikunis on it. So a bit of fab work will be needed. Still need to research what to do with the Distributor. 

First priority is the Track day on Dec 19th-- 

So next step is pull the L motor, reseal it, re time it and prob put in a KA oil pump. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...