Red 71 4dr - Carbed KA24DE

demo243

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So the rear diff has definitely seen better days - drained the gear oil again and the magnet was full of metal- again- after only 100 miles or so of use.

Pulled the diff and sure enough the gear coming off the driveshaft has seen better days

So I am going to use this as an excuse to upgrade to an LSD - anyone got one?

• 2 weeks later...

FrankenDiff adventure is set to begin-

Was unable to find a complete 4.11 LSD Diff (The Holy Grail of Diffs I guess)-  so time to build my own.

First step complete - sourced a 4.11 Open diff from an older Subaru- 

Next step find a LSD from a Subaru will probably be a 3.7- Then pull the LSD and swap it into the 4.11 - I will do my best to take pictures and keep you guys updated on the process

Nice ride.

Thanks !

Installed the 4.11 open diff last night, just wanted to get it back on the ground and running- still searching for a donor LSD- nothing worth posting picture wise. New diff is great though, gear noise is all but gone, and definitely a bit quicker then the 3.9. AutoX on Sunday, cant wait to really see the difference

Too many photos from Sundays AutoX to upload them all so here is the link and a few choice shots-

Big updates soon to- New shoes for street use - Rota RBs wrapped in Falken Azenis - Full Race Rubber for the 13's (Hankook F200s)- Limited slip unit- all should be in next week.

• Like 1

Demo243,

For faster autocross times you’ll need to do some suspension modifications. The car as it is currently set-up has way too much body roll. That needs to be limited for optimize tire grip.

The last photo you posted above shows the outside front tire under load with huge amounts of positive camber. Most DOT radials like about 1 degree of negative camber to generate maximum grip. You are in the 5+ positive range in that photo, greatly reducing your potential traction.

I would suggest you focus on reducing body roll before buying stickier autocross tires. You have bolt-on sway bars so this helps. You now need to lower the car and stiffen the springs front and rear. A good number of guys use 300# front springs and 1200# rear springs (in stock location) to help control body roll.

Front coilover kits are available from a number of sources. Rear springs are harder to find, but not impossible. Specialty Engineering in BC Canada used to sell rear springs in the 1200# load rating. I’d contact Andy or Tracy Pearson at Specialty and ask if they still have them in stock.

Another option is to cut a 3.5” ID coil over spring in half. Using an 18” 600# spring, cut in half it gives you 2 – 9” springs at roughly a 1200# rate, Cut an 18” 700# spring in half and you will get 2 – 9” 1400# springs.  

Lowering the car will also help reduce weight transfer and body roll. The problem with a lowered 510 is both front and rear suspension will need to be adjusted to correct the camber and toe changes lowering creates. Stock 510’s do not have any camber or toe adjustment in them. FutoFab (yes this is a shameless plug) offers adjustable LCA & TC Rods for the front and weld on Camber/Toe brackets for the rear.  

With adjustable suspension you can then lower the car and get proper alignment settings. With adjustable TC rods you can also increase the amount of caster the car has. Increasing caster (up to 6 degrees total) will also help keep the outside front tire in better contact with the ground. The side effect of increased caster is the steering will become much heavier and require more effort.  This at slow speeds in an autocross can get to be very tiring. On a road course at higher speeds it is not as noticeable. One of the other benefits of higher caster is it will make the steering self center quicker.

I hope this is of some help.

FutoFab 510 Suspension Page

http://www.futofab.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=22&Itemid=22

Adjustable LCA/TC Rods

400x224-images-stories-Alloy_510_LCA-TC_

Rear Camber/Toe Brackets

350x262-images-stories-c-b%20camber%20to

• Like 3

Thanks Dave!

That is some great info and help. That might help explain why my front end pushes in some corners - ie lacking grip from that front outside tire

That was the next step on my list was to start messing around with Suspension and Geo- Still trying to wrap my head around all the different possibilities when it comes to suspension setups- while still keeping it street able. And all that info is definitely a great start.

Needed to get new tires anyway since the ones I am on are pretty toasted, so got a killer deal on some Hankook F200s in the C91 super soft compound, from aimtire and couldnt pass it up. Also have a set up rota RBs with Falken Azenis on there way for street use.

Also happened to stumble upon a couple Limited Slip Units - so I now have one LSD Unit and one complete diff headed my way.

unfortunately I will be a little limited on what I can spend in the short term, but looking at your options definitely could be something I will be looking into in the very near future. 

really enjoying the whole process of taking this car to the next level. The wealth of knowledge on here and the Realm is almost overwhelming.

Was bored tonight so i pulled apart the bad 3.9 rear diff I have lying around- figured i would get an idea of what ill be dealing with when the two LSDs I have coming this week get in- 

Did a pretty good number on that pinion gear- not sure how to get those retainer clips off under the bolt heads... guess ill just grab some pliers and try to bend them-

In theory... I can have two usable ration LSDs out of this deal... I have a stand alone limited slip coming that can go in the 4.11 diff... and I can pull the ring gear from the bad 3.9 diff and put it in the complete 3.7 LSD i have coming... The 3.7 and 3.9 use the same pinion gear according to my haynes manual so i can just swap the ring gears.

In Theory...

More to come-

Update-

Its becoming Christmas in August! Got wheels and tires and the first LSD in today- Tomorrow is Lugs and the complete LSD Diff- then Thursday is a 510 Hat and Race Slicks-

Here are some teaser shots-

Completely disassembled the Bad R160 just to get a feel for what goes on in them

LSD Unit # 1 Showed up

Wheels Showed up - 15x7 +25 Rota RBs with 205/50r17 Falken Azenis

Teaser Shot of the Wheels on the car- its going to be very close, these tires are wider then the prior 205s I had on there, so the 5mm spacers I got I dont think will work... might need some longer studs and 10mm spacers.... will update tomorrow when I get the correct lugs in and get her on the ground.

No Update on the LSDs yet... but do have one on the wheels!

Test fit them Last night... unfortunately these tires are wide - with a 5mm spacer I have about a half mil between the tire and the strut... oh an only about 8mm of thread for the lugs to grab... looked great, but wasnt gonna work

Little bit of research and some help from the guys over at RDZ Motorsports and I had some extended studs in there today- which ever ones are 45.5mm long with a 12.9 knurl- pressed right in and gave plenty of thread-

All mounted up and drivable- pretty tight fitment but clears- got some 10mm spacers coming - pretty stoked

Other stuff---

Picked this up off of Ebay for $23 shipped! Great hat, nicely done

Oh yea almost forgot! Stickly rubber came in- these are getting mounted up on my 13" steel wheels- only $75 a piece!

• 3 months later...

Been a while since I updated this thread...

Have since had those race slicks installed- should have gone a bit wider... but they are definitely sticky. Definitely need more negative camber to get the most grip out of it. Camber plates are prob the next mod. Oh and those little tires are quick matched with a 4.11. was running out of gear in 2nd on the straights in the small lot.

As for the diff- I did get the 4.11 ring gear bolted up to the LSD unit and everything back together. Tail happiness ensued :-D. Did run into the 11mm and 10mm ring gear bolt issue. Thankfully I had one 11mm drilled unit and one 10mm drilled unit. I have two spare housings now too. Plan to get a new 3.9 ring and pinion set and build up one of those extra housings with the spare lsd unit that way I can switch between the 4.11 and 3.9 both LSD.

Unfortunately everything is on hold at the moment... as I just moved to the San Francisco area and the car is still in Connecticut. Need to get it shipped out here soon...

Here are a few pictures to hold you all over-

• Like 2

Looking good man. I've been lurking on your there'd for a while. Now that you're in the Bay Area you should come out. There's a lot of Datsun peeps out here. There's actually a fun run tomorrow in the Northbay you should roll with. Even if you dont have your 510 you should try to make it if you can. Here's the thread if you're interested: http://community.ratsun.net/topic/58085-fun-run-anyone/page-7?do=findComment&comment=1011372

• Like 1

Looking good man. I've been lurking on your there'd for a while. Now that you're in the Bay Area you should come out. There's a lot of Datsun peeps out here. There's actually a fun run tomorrow in the Northbay you should roll with. Even if you dont have your 510 you should try to make it if you can. Here's the thread if you're interested: http://community.ratsun.net/topic/58085-fun-run-anyone/page-7?do=findComment&comment=1011372

Thanks SkyBlue - Would love to join, Ill have to check with the GF and see if she has any plans. Rowing gears in the Tacoma is still pretty fun... although not as fun as in the 510. Only been out here a few weeks and already bumming pretty hard that I dont have the 510. Need to find a shipping company that will ship it out at a reasonable price. Also has a few things that make it a bit tougher to ship... Lowered, Drips oil, has 4 race wheels in the back seat, and some spare parts in the trunk... 

But definitely need to meet up with some of the local Datsun crew. Should probably post something in the general section about getting out here. Always happy to lend a hand wrenching on a car. Cheap labor rates too! Beer! 

• 1 month later...

Sad to see this car leave the east coast :(

I hear yah cjzeppy ... she has spent alot of time back east. Although supposedly she is a CA car... I was only able to trace it back to '92 where it was in VA. Things took me out west and I am missing my dime... I wouldn't be surprised if she makes it back east eventually, Pretty sure my girlfriend will drag me back there eventually, and I dont know if I could ever sell this thing. Love the car too much.

Hoping I can get her up to Canby this year!

• Like 2

Been a lurker for quite some time now-but finally found myself a 510.

Stumbled upon Brad's (Mr. Bohica) 71 4dr on craiglist and after a couple weeks of talking things over I made the trek down to Maryland and picked it up. Super stoked to finally have a 510- already have it registered and driving around.

Still needs a bit of love though- First things to take care of

-Find out why the battery isn't charging (got a good 10 starts or so out of it no problem; and then nothing this evening at work, got a jump, 45 minute drive later, and nothing when I got home)

-Get all the gauges hooked up- some of them sometimes work?? Temp gauge worked for half the drive to work today- tack bounces around sometimes- need a speedo cable as well, and need to connect the fuel gauge

-Need to get some air cleaners on the stacks- got some from Brad but they are definitely not deep enough so need to decide what I want to run from their

-come up with a way to connect either a belt or harness for the passenger seat

-decide what I want to do about mirrors- need some more time with the wink mirror to decide if i like it or not

-transmission has a pretty good whine in 4th and 5th; but that could be just the shear lack of deadening material

- would like to relocate the ebrake as well sometime-

Probably going to leave the paint and body as it is for right now- same for the interior- although i may toss a head unit and some speakers in there- this beast is loud and something to drown the sound out might help

There will definitely be plenty of questions... and any suggestions are welcome.. Ill do my best to keep this updated.

Thanks again Brad! Stoked to have a 510!

Here are some oics of the journey- 7:30am to 9:30pm- Tacoma hauled it like a champ-

Uhaul didnt want to rent me the full trailer... Said the Tacoma wasnt big enough- Called the place in Stamford and they didnt care at all

IMG_1115.jpg

Riding a little bit low; fully loaded;

IMG_1117.jpg

What a view to have for the 6 hour ride back

IMG_1118.jpg

Night shot- little bit of editing made for a cool shot- love the yellow lights and the grill badge

IMG_1121-Copy.jpg

IMG_1124.jpg

IMG_1126.jpg

IMG_1131.jpg

IMG_1135.jpg

IMG_1137.jpg

And here is a link to Brad's thread for more history on it-

http://community.rat...ge__hl__memoirs

what does that clear hose from peanut cover go too? Looks like it splits in two

You know.. I dont remember lol.... And unfortunately Im about 3000 miles away from the car since its back home in CT and Im in CA- I dig through my photos too see if I can figure it out.  It does spit with a "T" joint behind the cover one side goes to the vent, the other I dont remember

what does that clear hose from peanut cover go too? Looks like it splits in two

• 3 weeks later...