Stoptech Vented Drilled/Slotted Rotors … for stock 510 brakes???

demo243

Just stumbled upon these… tried searching to see if anyone had used them, but couldn't find anything...

I Searched for the full specs, but wasn't able to find em. Planning on making a call to find out full specs, but I find it hard to believe they will work since the brakes were designed around a non vented rotor….

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sph-127-42001cr/overview/year/1971/make/nissan/model/510

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sph-127-42001cl/overview/year/1971/make/nissan/model/510

ScreenShot2015-02-16at55538PM.png

ScreenShot2015-02-16at55554PM.png

Not that I think vents themselves would really help the stock 510 brakes…. but at least there could be some nice replacement rotors out there.

Found these while searching brake upgrades, for myself.

-Debating on 200sx vs Stock 510 struts w/ DP racings kit.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No advantage. Can't see drilling a solid rotor, or slots for that matter. (can't even see the use of drilling a vented rotor either but kids think it looks cool) You want as much metal as possible as a heat sink.

As Keith says, replace the struts with 280zx or '80-'84 Maxima. These both have monster slotted rotors and large calipers.

Here's my '84 goon rotors. Built to slow a heavy six cylinder Maxima wagon.

710strutupgrade004Large.jpg

Slotted rotors have grooves cut in the wear surface of the rotor. These are in favor today on race cars. The theory is they expel hot gasses that the pads generate under hard braking and keep the pad in better contact with the rotor for improved braking.

Drilled rotors are a throw back modification to earlier racing days. They were also thought to improve braking by allowing the gases to escape. The drilled holes were also done to reduce weight, but as Mike points out this reduces thermal mass and can actually hurt braking performance.

Drilled rotors also have a nasty habit of generating cracks from differentials in thermal expansion. The material around the holes stays cooler than the mass area of the rotor. This differential in temperature and expansion creates cracks that radiate outward from the drill holes after multiple severe braking events.

• Like 1

Im bumping up to either the DP racing Wilwoods or 200sx stuff...

Don't want to run 280zx stuff as it won't fit my wheels and I don't want to narrow the track width up front.

Just was curious if anyone had purchased these… mostly because I didn't believe they would fit… the details say they were vented