Reproduction 510 sheet metal

carterb

Reproduction 510 panels give me a raging hardon. My white 510 needs every single panel replaced if it were to be restored, I always considered it un-restorable because id need a full good 510 to patch a worthless one. Now that new panels are becoming available I am willing to restore it just for sentimental value. I am very excited for good quality full quarter panels! 

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I met with the manufacturer's VP of Sales this past week. Here is what's upcoming for parts.

Parts in the next order (2-3 months):

510 Rear Valances (new)

510 Trunk Drops (new)

510 Rear Bumper Brackets (new)

510 Tail Panels (reorder)

510 Fenders w/o marker openings (reorder)

240Z Tail Lights - JDM style w/Amber Directional (new)

240Z Bumpers, Front & Rear - JDM style w/o holes for overriders and rub strips (new)

240Z Bumper Brackets - Front & Rear (new)

Upcoming parts will include (ETA-TBD):

510 Quarter Panels both 2 & 4 door

510 Chrome Bumpers, Front & Rear

510 Lower Grill Trim

510 Fender Trim  "eyebrows"

510 Tail Lights, complete assemblies, trim, housings, lenses and wiring/bulb holders. 

510 2 dr Rear Quarter Windows, complete w/glass installed.

240Z Fender Extensions

240Z Center Valance

Future Projects Under Consideration:

510 Radiator Support

510 2dr Door Sills & Rear Seat Sill Trim

The quality of these parts has overall been very well received. It pleases me to be able to help folks keep their cars going and not seeing them lost by being parted out.

• Like 2

Obviously that's what I will have to do, but buying brand new fenders with factory holes would be nice... For the price I shouldn't have to modify them ^_^

No hate though.

Front fenders with the US 68-69 marker openings are not being reproduced. That is one of the main reason why they offer fenders w/o marker openings.

It is unusual for this manufacturer to offer any panel that is not a complete and exact reproduction of the original panel. They are not making patch panels, only full sized and shaped reproductions of the factory original.

What about front valances?

If the 68-69 valance is ever done, it will be a while down the road. It only represents 1/3 of the 510's production years (even less in actual numbers made), so the sales opportunities for a '68-'69 specific part is much lower.

It is kind of like making new parts for '62-'70 Datsun Roadsters. They only made a little over 48,000 of these cars. At 4+ decades out of production, the market for repair parts isn't very large. Its kind of the same situation for parts specific to the '68-'69 510's.

'70-'73 is twice the production duration (and buyer potential). Selling a valance specific to the '68-'69 means you need to amortize your costs over roughly 1/2 the potential sales, which means the part would need to sell for twice what a later valance does.

We sell the '70-'73 front valance at $195, which means the '68-'69 valance price would be $380. I'm sure at that price, the sales demand would be driven even lower.

As a true enthusiast its unfortunate, but at some point business logic has to override emotion for long term success.

Also wagon rear bumpers?

The same applies, its possible they might be made later on, but the potential for sales numbers are lower and demand is what drives sales and reduces cost.

Tristin, don't be a hater!!

No hate. It makes perfect business sense. It's just frustrating that after all these years new ones get made... And then you can't use them.

Dave is a great guy and no ill will towards his business. I've worked with him in the past and he's a great guy.

Yup, went thru that same availability stuff for many years with the British cars!  I'll keep an eye out for an early valence for ya!! 

• Like 1