Reproduction 510 sheet metal

carterb

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Love seeing all of this recent Reproduction of PL510 hard parts.  My 510 is slowly working it's way up my priority list so I will be ready to start spending money on it someday in the near future and it needs a few panels if I don't want to use the scavenged slightly rusty and dented panels I already have collected over the past years.  The Aussie's parts and Dave at Futo-Fab's parts look great so far!

I've discussed the need for door sills and the associated trim with the manufacturer. The use of "DATSUN" on the door sills would need authorization from Nissan. They have secured manufacturer licenses in the past, but my guess is it wasn't an easy process. My read between the lines on this topic is that they didn't feel the return would justify the effort needed to secure the required licensing. 

So that said, if the door sill plates didn't say "DATSUN" would there still be interest in them? 

Fuck, I'd buy a set if they said FutoFab.  Or Ratsun...

• Like 1

Make the "ribs" full length without a "flat" area for a logo, OR go ahead and stamp the "flat" area, offer a FutoFab emblem or a Ratsun emblem (again, can't make a Datsun emblem), the buyer can make their own emblem, or leave it blank...................

I question the cost.  I see the Ozzie made repops are near $300.  I don't see anyone from Ratsun spending that for them... 

Maybe to help Dave out, if he could get them made, what would everyone be willing to pay? ...  (be reasonable)....

Personally, I think mine are good enough... With that said, If I felt I needed them..... I'd go up to... $200.... If they were made of a better material.  Either thicker aluminum, or stainless.  Probably even $250 if I needed them.  At $100, I'd buy them anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bump!  We gotta keep this thread going.........mods, can this be "pinned" up at the top??  This deal that Dave @ FutoFab has going is likely the biggest step towards the future of availability of restoration parts for the 510 market, since all of the parts started disappearing from Nissan years ago.  Pinned at the top, the newbies will always see it, hopefully people will support Dave 100%, which means more cars will be saved from being parts cars or going to the crusher!  To the top, to the top!!!!!!!

Ya'll might not like hearing this, but part of the "hope" that all these new repro parts will actually come out, is that it will lure new 510 owners in, that have avoided the cars knowing that parts simply weren't available.  This also means that more cars will be restored, and that the values of the cars will go up.  Some guys love the challenge of hunting down the NOS parts, and the best USED parts they can find, but being a seasoned classic car parts guy, it scares alot of potential new owners away.  I have seen many an owner sell a classic car after purchasing, because the parts were too scarce.  The guys that have been involved with the 510's since the 80's-early 90's were used to buying OEM parts from Nissan on the cheap...........the reality of it is, that those days are gone, and times change.

The sill plates are a great example.  They are near impossible to find in good shape USED.  I have an NOS pair for the 2dr, but I wouldn't sell them for anything less than $300.........and I'm confident that somebody would pay that.  I have only offered them for sale a few times, but obviously those guys weren't interested at that kind of mulla.  That somebody (who might pay the $300) would likely NOT be one of the guys that have been around 510's for many many years.  I have the highest respect for guys like that, but you are correct that my potential buyer wouldn't be one of them.  Now, if the plates end up being repro'd for around $200, and they are really nice repro's, then my NOS plates will likely drop in value.  That's the classic car parts market for ya!

**Just a note**

Unfortunately, I'm sure a lot of originals have been tossed out because someone thought they were junk, but in actuality, as along as they aren't corroded badly, they can be restored.  A hammer, an anvil, a bunch of different wood dowels, sandpaper, and a polisher is all you need.  Someone with more time than me could make a business out of restoring them...

Yes, I bought a set of reconditioned ones from a forum member a few years ago, and they were pretty nice!  I sold 5 or 6 sets of 4dr plates to somebody in Thailand/Taiwan a few years ago, likely to be reconditioned, cuz they were not in very nice condition (he knew that!).  You are correct that LOTS of decent parts were thrown away, when new ones were available so cheap, right from Nissan.  Man, I would have loved to have been involved with Datsuns in the 80's-90's!! :thumbup:

• Like 2

It's amazing how much more popular the 4dr cars are in other parts of the country, like Australia........even the 4dr Sedan door seals were available long before the 2dr Sedan!

• 3 weeks later...

I'll chime in to say that a big part of the problem when dealing with overseas manufacturers, is that the delivery schedules for product is very often delayed for various reasons.......a production hiccup, a delay in customs, or the manufacturers simply making promises that they can't keep.  I saw this constantly in the British parts market!  As a sales rep for a wholesale distributor, my customers only heard what I would tell them, but the delays were more often than not, due to the manufacturers issues.  Because this is such a new endeavor for FutoFab, we should allow for some delays, as the ordering & delivery processes are fine tuned!  

Yenpit,

Thanks and yes all that is true. It has been a long haul, but we have our first shipment in transit. The parts are scheduled to be at FutoFab on November 13th if all goes smoothly (and no I'm not going to hold my breath that it will go smoothly).

When I first started discussing this with the manufacture back in the beginning of this year the first parts were going to be available in May. As you can see we are now into November and they have just shipped. 

I will say in the manufacturer's defense that they are starting from scratch, making all the tooling and reinventing the entire manufacturing process for each part. I would not want that task at the level of fit these parts need to be made too.

FutoFab is in the process of updating the website to add the steel parts to our online ordering system. We have also partnered with a freight forwarding service named Bongo International to help reduce freight costs to our international customers.

See their floating "BONGO INTERNATIONAL" contact button at the lower left corner of our web page for more info on getting parts to international customers.

The incoming November 13th order includes (and are now available for purchase):

68-73 Datsun 510 - Rocker Panels, R&L ($245/ea)

69-73 Datsun 510 Tail Panels, no plate light holes ($255/ea)

68-73 Datsun 510 Hood Latch sets ($69/each) - Revised 11/14/13

68-72 Datsun 510 Front Bumper Brackets, ($59/pr)

Our next delivery is due around January 2014 and will include*:

68-73 Datsun 510 Front Fenders, R&L (w/o marker openings)

70-73 Datsun 510 Front Fenders, R&L (w/US marker openings)

68-73 Datsun 510 Hoods

70-72 Datsun 240Z bumpers, Chrome plated, F&R

70-72 Datsun 240Z bumpers, black powdercoat, F&R

70-73 Datsun 510 Front Valance

69-73 Datsun 510 Chrome Tail Light Bezel & SS Lens Trim (R&L)

*Pricing will be announced shortly for these parts.

• Like 1