Reproduction 510 sheet metal

carterb

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

69-73 Datsun 510 Chrome Tail Light Bezel & SS Lens Trim (R&L)

Wow, I wasn't aware that the tail lamp trim was going to be made!!

Yeah, that caught my eye.  That's awesome!!  Now if we could just find someone to reproduce the plastic housings....

68-73 Datsun 510 - Rocker Panels, R&L ($245/ea)

69-73 Datsun 510 Tail Panels, no plate light holes ($255/ea)

68-73 Datsun 510 Hood Latch sets ($89/set)

68-72 Datsun 510 Front Bumper Brackets, ($59/pr)

These Parts Can Be Purchased NOW!

I've had some inquiries about the above parts and folks holding off until they become available.

FutoFab is taking orders now and parts will be shipped to you on or about November 18th.

Our website still needs to be updated for online ordering, but ANYONE who wants to buy these parts NOW can purchase them by emailing me at Dave@FutoFab.com

Please include which parts you want and how many of each along with your shipping address. I will reply with an order total, including shipping. Payment thru PayPal to Dave@FutoFab.com is fine or I can send an electronic invoice that will allow use of a credit card for those without a PayPal account.

We also take checks, money orders. We do bank to bank wire transfers and will even take cash if you want to hand it to me (I do not advise sending cash by mail).

So yes, these parts are now available for purchase.

Yeah, that caught my eye.  That's awesome!!  Now if we could just find someone to reproduce the plastic housings....

Regarding tail light housings, don't rule out anything at this point.

Actually, I have been asked to send a complete set of tail lamp assemblies for investigation into reproducing them. If that happens also look for tail light lenses with amber directional sections .

• Like 1

Regarding tail light housings, don't rule out anything at this point.

Actually, I have been asked to send a complete set of tail lamp assemblies for investigation into reproducing them. If that happens also look for tail light lenses with amber directional sections .

Nice!-

Just a note on the lenses, if that happens;  The units from Mexico (datsun-kentigo) are similar to original, but not a great reproduction.  One of the distinct differences is that they don't have the provisions to install the metal "seperators" between the lenses.  If you could get your suppliers to make lenses that are closer to the orignal units, I think you would be able to stay on top of the market.

Great work Dave all those new parts and the work to make it happen are appreciated.

To go back to the initial quest, several comments looking for 1/4 panels. I've recent as this year bought panels from http://alfaparts.net/dat510.html I've read the comments here and looked at the spankings here, but I found out different. They arrived in less than a week, installed by a good shop (who BTW does work for www.Spriso.com) . no whining, no "fitment" problems, plug-n'-play.

Guys, $75 for the 2-door quarter, today-in the mail. Add these to Dave's fronts and rears and we have alot more sweet cars on-the-road.

Worth the look.

Great work Dave all those new parts and the work to make it happen are appreciated.

To go back to the initial quest, several comments looking for 1/4 panels. I've recent as this year bought panels from http://alfaparts.net/dat510.html I've read the comments here and looked at the spankings here, but I found out different. They arrived in less than a week, installed by a good shop (who BTW does work for www.Spriso.com) . no whining, no "fitment" problems, plug-n'-play.

Guys, $75 for the 2-door quarter, today-in the mail. Add these to Dave's fronts and rears and we have alot more sweet cars on-the-road.

Worth the look.

1. this is Dave's thread, don't pollute it with other vendors.

2. I hope Alfaparts got their crap together.  The stuff I bought years ago was a really crappy fit.

3. What Dave is selling is a high quality repro of a OEM part, and a full pressed/stamped Quarter panel, not just a patch section that is bent by a tin banger at a metal shop.  I've hand banged/bent lots of parts, incl. 510 quarter sections to fix the crappy Alfaparts ones... you're talking apples and plastic apples here.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Nope. FYI, they are hand fabricated to the best of my knowledge.

Early on I corresponded with them. They said they had a lead on original dies and were going to try and obtain and put them back into use. Our parts are much more consistent as they are mass produced from new tooling.

Any original Datsun tooling that is still around will be in pretty rough shape. The OE's only let tooling go when it can no longer hold decent tolerances. Then the aftermarket further abuses them making those cheap, crappy fitting parts that the mass market cheapo retailers sell. You know, those $39 front fenders that are around for late model cars.

The parts FutoFab sells are from 100% new tooling that the manufacturer makes in-house. They will not use worn out dies just to save a buck or sell cheaper parts. They pride themselves on reproducing factory fitting full size replacement panels. Their business model does not include making patch panels.

futofab panels=OEM standards

everyone elses panels= NOPI/JCWhitney standards... 

The big difference i can see is everything Alfaparts and this other ebay co are selling are good enough to patch up your car... but what Futofab is selling is good enough to RESTORE your car...    band-aid vs plastic surgery.

Here's some idea of the capabilities of the manufacturer making these 510 panels:

Have you heard of the complete Mustang & Camaro bodies that Dynacorn sells? The guys I'm buying from make all that sheetmetal.

Ever see the guys in Florida making complete Tri-5 Chevy bodies (they were featured on Chop, Cut, Rebuild), the same guys are making their sheetmetal.

Do you remember the brand new 1940 Ford coupe body (licensed by Ford) that was unveiled at SEMA last year, that sheetmetal is theirs as well.

So yes the manufacturer I am working with is more than capable of top quality parts. I have seen there operation first hand and as more Datsun 510 sheetmetal gets out there, the more folks will see (as Merlin says) that these panels are restoration quality, not just patch panels.

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...