>>>RICER<<< ~ define it!

I know what some of the elements are. Must a vehicle have all the elements to be a ricer? I'm just curious what you guys feel absolutely paints a car as a ricer? must a ricer be a Japanese vehicle? when did you long term Datsun guys first hear the term?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think its a life style that has erupted in other countries, then it started over here and that is considered posing...I don't think it is considered "Ricer" in the older vehicles, but within the past 10-15 years and that might even be pushing it...As far as a "Ricer", I think it is a car with so much extra crap to out do another car with just as much crap on it...just sayin'

Fuzz

ricer- someone who performs the most basic and unnecessary "mods" to a car they can, such as bolting on non-functional accessories and pretending it makes there car faster. The most common modifications found are: ebay spoilers, ebay projector lights, chrome, autozone exhaust tips (tomatoe cans), autozone hood scoops "non functional", autozone hot rod hubcaps, and just about any other useless thing you can bolt on. Rice cars are dedictated to one thing and one thing only, trying as hard as they can to look cool and failing as badly as possible at it.

• Like 2

I know what some of the elements are. Must a vehicle have all the elements to be a ricer? I'm just curious what you guys feel absolutely paints a car as a ricer? must a ricer be a Japanese vehicle? when did you long term Datsun guys first hear the term?

That's really a trick question ,,, no 2 people have the EXACT same views ... so "riced out" to one person ,,,, maybe a "hella $%$kin sweet" to the next ,,, while the person across the street is looking at the car in question saying " a touch overdone ,,, I kinda like those rims ,,, wonder what they will look like on my Mustang ? " ,,, and the cop sitting in his squad car in the adjacent parking lot thinking " Oh ,,, that car ,,, easy target ,,, hehe ,,, *starts up car and turns on siren* "

It's all about perception.

Perception of what the car is in common sense real world figures/value <--- Versus ---> the owner of the cars perception as well as beliefs about what the cars real world figures/values n shit.

Some american cars are considered "riced out" ,,, so what gives ?

A great example is = many who don't work on datsuns or know of them ,,, might think that because my project datsun is currently multi-colored with non-typical "17" mustang bullit wheels that it is "riced out" as well as other attributes. Where riced out to me is dumb-fuck mods that don't make any sense and/or take off the value of the car significantly ,,, even looks a lot worse than it should after lol. ( yeah that could be an array of things ,,, but chances are we all have the same idea ;))

Do I care if someone thinks my car is "riced" even a little ... ? nope not the slightest ,,, love my cars ,,, and that's their perception

I am realistic about "Horsepower and Torque" figures. So what if my stocker L24 is like 110 at the wheels ? I still love it ! haha. Teens these days don't have the slightest clue it's not ALL about hp ... gearing/handling/looks/nostalgia/memories/groups/friends/DATSUN !!!!

Hope that was boiled down ,,, sort of ,,, :lol:

• Like 1

If you love your car you wouldn't treat it like a fashion accessory. If you respected your car there would be no rice culture.

Fart cannons, wings and 45% rear and front camber aside, the following also constitute rice.

1/ Euro style tail lights... so small you can't see them. No car looks right with them. How is a smaller rear light safer? I want some bent ricer asshole to see me stopped ahead of him at the lights.

2/ The 'gold' metal coating on grills, rims, flairs, door handles, emblems w/e. Looks like absolute shit on a plate *.

3/ 2 or 3 blade wipers in insane chrome colors. See above comment on looks *.

4/ DC stickers on windows or any energy drink sticker you bought to promote someone else's junk, you're an idiot for turning your car into a rolling billboard.

5/ Smoked lights front or back screams out: Hey, I don't give two fucks about your, or anyone else's safety as long as I look cool. See first line

6/ $1,700 rims on a $500 POS. Nothing says "Boy have I got my priorities wrong!!!" Don't even get me started on spinners and 22" rims with 1/4" of rubber. 98% of all rims sold are in poor taste or bling taste.

Any of the above get a Chop Sticks award for riceyness. If you or a friend has one of the previous things listed on your Japanese car then YOU!!!.... may be a ricer.

• Like 1

I'd like to add a category. Diesel ricers. Giant jacked up diesel trucks with poor tuning belching loads of smoke because they think it's cool. Regardless of the fact that smoke is unburnt fuel, which means they are inefficient, which diesels should not be.

And likewise the chrome mudflaps and other crap and 800" lift kits attached to the axle should straight out not be possible. But it is. Hence, diesel ricers.

i first herd ricer as a american motorcycle rider mabey 16 18 yrs ago ricers were the guys who had to go 120 mph light 2 light on jap bikes it wasnt till much later that i found the term described.. loud.... too low.... run like crap.... cant get them registered. lil street racers that wanted too be drifters....thats the best answer i got

Making changes to your car that you don't understand in an attempt to mimic another's car or trend.

Some people make easy targets with this because they are very blatant misunderstandings. For example, placing Nismo stickers all over a Toyota, adding a hood scoop with no hole cut, flares with stock wheels, etc.

I think people try to extend this term to a lot more than this, but its usually what I deem as "rice." If a guy is genuinely adding to his car with purpose, its hard to call it rice just because you don't agree with how it looks/functions.

i first herd ricer as a american motorcycle rider mabey 16 18 yrs ago ricers were the guys who had to go 120 mph light 2 light on jap bikes it wasnt till much later that i found the term described.. loud.... too low.... run like crap.... cant get them registered. lil street racers that wanted too be drifters....thats the best answer i got

ricer's aren't racers, riceburner's might be waht your talking about with the bikes, though I'm more familiar with the term cafe racer. And the biggest reason for why ricers can't race is because by the time they built up there "race body" there's no money left to put into the motor, Either that or there to embarassed or worried to race there little clown car.

If you love your car you wouldn't treat it like a fashion accessory. If you respected your car there would be no rice culture.

Fart cannons, wings and 45% rear and front camber aside, the following also constitute rice.

1/ Euro style tail lights... so small you can't see them. No car looks right with them. How is a smaller rear light safer? I want some bent ricer asshole to see me stopped ahead of him at the lights.

2/ The 'gold' metal coating on grills, rims, flairs, door handles, emblems w/e. Looks like absolute shit on a plate *.

3/ 2 or 3 blade wipers in insane chrome colors. See above comment on looks *.

4/ DC stickers on windows or any energy drink sticker you bought to promote someone else's junk, you're an idiot for turning your car into a rolling billboard.

5/ Smoked lights front or back screams out: Hey, I don't give two fucks about your, or anyone else's safety as long as I look cool. See first line

6/ $1,700 rims on a $500 POS. Nothing says "Boy have I got my priorities wrong!!!" Don't even get me started on spinners and 22" rims with 1/4" of rubber. 98% of all rims sold are in poor taste or bling taste.

Any of the above get a Chop Sticks award for riceyness. If you or a friend has one of the previous things listed on your Japanese car then YOU!!!.... may be a ricer.

This sorta, I'm okay with the high priced rims on a cheap car cause it doesn't matter how much the ride cost if the owner puts love into it. I'd say these people don't ask themselves "Is this what I like or just what is popular?" I fear for the future of a lot of cars because of rust being a cheap and popular fashion accessory now. I will never understand taking a mintish car and tearing it down to look like one that came from a field vs getting one from a field and driving it around while in the process of making it mint.

the problem with the rims man is the fact that most people get those instead of fixxing most of the actual running issues, who care what you look lik when you show up if there 3 different types of fluids spewing from underneath your car.

I'd like to add a category. Diesel ricers. Giant jacked up diesel trucks with poor tuning belching loads of smoke because they think it's cool. Regardless of the fact that smoke is unburnt fuel, which means they are inefficient, which diesels should not be.

And likewise the chrome mudflaps and other crap and 800" lift kits attached to the axle should straight out not be possible. But it is. Hence, diesel ricers.

I work on those kinds of trucks.

My cousin and I call them Brodozers.

This sorta, I'm okay with the high priced rims on a cheap car cause it doesn't matter how much the ride cost if the owner puts love into it.

High priced rims sounds more like he put his pocket book into it. It's pure 'dress up'.