Is it illegal?

Does anyone know where i can get RELIABLE information about state laws regarding bumpers and side markers? I was to remove my rear bumper and shave my side markers, but i'm not sure if i would get in any trouble for it. Kansas is pretty laid back, but with the economy the way it is, the cops will pull you over for any little thing.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

actually modern cars do still have side marker lights notice how the headlights and tail lights wrap around the body this way it is all one unit instead of seperate assemblies if i remember correctly bumpers are required but most cops arent gonna care

check the local laws. i know here in WA, we're supposed to have em but with some companies not putting rears on factory, you can kinda get away with it. none of my 620s have rears, and my original 73 didn't have a front for a while. i was only hassle(hoff)d once about it.

Bumpers are always nice man, the will save you car from pretty big stuff, like light poles you didn't see backing out of an autozone parking stall, or you cand even nudge the trash cans on trash day, just to get a couple moar inches in front of your house, not to metion when you have both front and back it looks really clean to me, but were not in kansas anymore todo, side markers should be fine as long as your front and rears work!

Is it illegal? Yes. It's against federal law to remove them. Some States have their own regulations, but the federal law takes precedence.

Enforcement is left up to individual jurisdictions. The federal law takes precedence, and interstate laws prohibit local laws from being more or less restrictive. However, just like bumper and hedlight heights (which are violated on almost every one of the jacked-up 4X4s you see), some are more enforced than others.

All cars built from 1969 and later have to have side marker lights with reflectors front and rear in the US. Some cars look like they don't have them, but they are integral with the taillights, headlights, or front turn signals (wraparound). Bumpers are required on everything since the introduction of the FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) and energy-absorbing bumpers became required on passenger cars starting in 1973.

Now, the question is do you care? And are you willing to take the risk of having to undo any work you do to get your registration back if you get multiple fix-it tickets?

most states require them.

and yes, new cars do have side markers.

the headlights and taillights wrap around the sides of the car.

there required to have a visible side light.

lol I always shave them tho. cuz most cops dont know if your 40 year old car had them in the first place...

.... most of the time dont care.

Well, for what it's worth - I ran without a front or rear bumper and was pulled over for both on two separate occasions... it's technically required equipment (safety equipment). At least they are considered as such here in Oregon. Now, the important part pertaining to that, is that the front bumper is the stock license plate location and since I had no plate, I was initially pulled over for no front plate, which... don't even get me started about that.

I do believe if you had to pull a card if you have a deleted rear bumper and it was smoothed in and such, just say it's integrated and tell them to prove you wrong. What are they going to do? It's custom and there's nothing illegal about that.

That being said, I've seen exactly that on lots of custom trucks.

It really depends on who pulls you over and how your conversation goes with them. Just be like... yeah it's integrated into the car now and if that is convincing enough, that's all that really matters.

Being technical, a 510 bumper isn't going to do much good in an impact anyways.

In regards to side markers, it's not on the list of reqiured equipment here in Oregon. Brake lights, turn signals, headlights, and parking lamps. Side markers are subjective, it depends on how you want to refer to them. Some people wire them up as turn signals with their stock wiring, which makes them functional... but I don't believe (at least here in Oregon) that they are a requirement.

Blue dots in brake lights/running lights (red) are a 1959 and earlier only thing... I don't see anything listed in the manual.

Kind of like how a windshield is NOT required. But wipers, are.

(And I am assuming you're referring to your Z, not a 510... my post seemed really 510 specific, sorry about that. )

side markers have to stay...my recommendation is to pick up some aftermarket ones that you like, or go to the junkyard and find a newer car with more stylish ones that you like the look of better. Heck, you can even get some flush mount side markers for motorcycles...look around, I am sure you can find some you like the look of better.

As far as bumpers, it is like everyone else said, be prepared to be stopped. Technically, I ended up re-enforcing the area where my bumpers used to be, so that gave me some bargaining room, and no cops actually stopped me. However, I am in the process of straightening my factory bumpers and they will eventually be back on the car.

being that its a 280zx it makes it a little different that doing it on an S30 or 510.

bumpers are kinda half way integrated and will actually do something in a low speed crash

(as opposed to S30/510 bumpers which we all know are just trim pieces. not really bumpers lol)

the rear you break out the welder and make your rear pan smooth and delete the bumper indents.

if you want the bumpers gone on an S130 you have to get creative....

as far as the law goes, yes you should technically have them... but theres ways around it

It's illegal. I don't want some noob thinking you can remove a safety device like marker lights and bumpers on a whim.

Cop sees you being a bit of a dick or just obnoxious loud but doesn't really have any reason to pull you over. Notices that you don't have a bumper. Pulls you over....... There may be consequences. I've never understood why people remove side marker lights.... they are there so others see you in the dark... and not run into you.

• Like 1

^^ What he said. Bumpers are put there for a reason; same as side markers. It's a fool's errand to remove them just for the sake of aesthetics. And besides that, pretty much every Datsun looks ugly with the bumper removed(I'm sure there's an exception, but I haven't seen it, and the 280zx DEFINITELY isn't it).

It's illegal. I don't want some noob thinking you can remove a safety device like marker lights and bumpers on a whim.

Cop sees you being a bit of a dick or just obnoxious loud but doesn't really have any reason to pull you over. Notices that you don't have a bumper. Pulls you over....... There may be consequences. I've never understood why people remove side marker lights.... they are there so others see you in the dark... and not run into you.

I want some of that glow in the dark paint to paint my car with, so everyone thinks im a fucking ufo at night on the road :). And agree about side markers, yah it looks cool taking them off, but they are THERE for a REASON! to be sure people dont sideswipe you and shit at night. Just like the guys who remove their windshield wipers, whats goign to happen that one day there is a freak rain storm when your out in your car.