Bagged and Boosted 71 4dr 510

But he asked for people opinions. I never liked everyone responding with "do what you want, its your car." Obviously, I can do what I want... but I asked for opinions for a reason.

Here is what I see on this situation. You havent touched the Z in forever and you said it yourself, that you like 510s more. It doesnt make sense to me to spend on this money on a project you dont really care for. I would do one of two things:

1. Just keep holding out for the right 510. 

2. Possibly even sell the Z to add more money to the 510 fund. 

If youre not really excited about the Z at all, why keep sinking money into it? It just seems like a waste. It scrape whatever money together that you could and build the next 510 the way you really want it. 

Yeah thats a good point, its not that i dont like the Z, just havent had the motivation, (money to finish would be good motivation) i have a lot of parts stashed away for it that i could probally get some good money back out of though hmmm ive been tossing around a lot of ideas, i think it makes most sense to hold out for a shell, even if it takes a couple months for the right one to pop up

And yeah, like tristin said in the end ill do what i want, sometimes its just nice to see what others think, different minds put a different spin on your situation sometimes

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, money is always good motivation, but another thought is its not like youve been poor this whole time. Youve had money... but you always just want to put it towards the 510. Maybe thats where your priorities really are. Im all about keeping Datsuns, but if the sitting there Z helps you achieve your goal of 510 bad-ass-dom then maybe you need to shuffle stuff around to free up some more funds. 

A thought. 

• Like 1
I'm with tristin on this one, I'd sell the z for more cash towards a new 510 shell. There selling like hot cakes right now so your chances of finding a good replacement might be greater now before things slow up.

Thats a good point. Unless youre pullling out some of these backwater deals some are still getting 510s arent getting any cheaper. 

• Like 1
Thats a good point. Unless youre pullling out some of these backwater deals some are still getting 510s arent getting any cheaper. 

Yea especially over here theres new ones on CL almost daily, and I believe we have Leno to thank for this 510 spike  :rofl:

I would take the insurance money plus savings, sell the z and parts, part out the 510 and just keep what you want. That would give you the cash to buy a nice running 510 that you could enjoy right off the bat. You could modify it at your lesure. It sounds like the 510 was your daly driver, this way your back on the street right away.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

(plus the yard is cleaner, sounds like your dad wants you to clean stuf up.)

2. Possibly even sell the Z to add more money to the 510 fund. 

If youre not really excited about the Z at all, why keep sinking money into it? It just seems like a waste. It scrape whatever money together that you could and build the next 510 the way you really want it. 

hey if your a self described not a z guy,  i cant agree with this more.........with 6500-7500 u could build a pretty solid 510........(3ish + savings + sell z parts for 2-2500+ savng more money while selling z parts+ 6500-7500)  (( plus anything else u decided to part with in the mean time ...))..

just sayin if your gonna do one,  and u have experimented with what u want on the first wrecked 510,  (and the ka one) why not just do up a really nice daily....u got the bimmer to flog .....just build a nice f/i driver...shit there's a sick 4dr ka swapped bambo tan on cl in cali for i think 5k or something ... might be cheaper...I'm not saying build a pristine one ... find a nice shell .... do all the mods and shit maybe a sr or ca or something ......dump it(duh)....swagg out the interior..(i know i cant believe i typed the word swagg either) .....and drive it.....maybe slow down for intersections that recently changed lights...lol i had too...

or do what u want ....im not a z car guy either but i seen some z cars that make me think twice about owning one....

Hmm that would get an unfinished project out of the shop as well... Meybe ill find everything i have and price it out, see whats upstairs.

and dont worry... my friends didnt hold back on the red light jokes.. day of the accident.. haha

Whats this whole leno thing about? i think i missed something

does anyone have any links to cheaper alternatives to factory weatherstipping? theres no way I can drop a grand on window and door seals....

Cheaper kits or other alternatives, im sure this has been asked before.  links would be appreciated.

edit: im looking at datsunland right now, what is channel felt?

Not sure if this is what you ment,,,

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/37779-dang-near-sealed-up-my-entire-510-for-under-50-at-pick-n-pull/

My brother bought Datsland windshield rubber and it failed within 3 months....I don`t know about door seals though..

Not sure if this is what you ment,,,

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/37779-dang-near-sealed-up-my-entire-510-for-under-50-at-pick-n-pull/

My brother bought Datsland windshield rubber and it failed within 3 months....I don`t know about door seals though..

Yeah that's what im looking for! Hey Vintage, I know you check in here occasionaly, wanna make a trip to pick n pull with me?! haha

And that's what im reading about the Datsunland windshield seals, if im going to do it, I don't wanna get junk... but at the same time.. cant afford factory

There was just a thread about windshield seals. Like within a day... Carter recommends them and I'd take his word. I have door seals from Datsunland and like them. I've found that everything but windshield seals are great.

ill look again and try and find that thread!

Yeah that's what im looking for! Hey Vintage, I know you check in here occasionaly, wanna make a trip to pick n pull with me?! haha

And that's what im reading about the Datsunland windshield seals, if im going to do it, I don't wanna get junk... but at the same time.. cant afford factory

Lol, I still got my eagle talon/eclipse door seals in!  They work great except for I wish I had something for the bottom, they only go 3/4 the way around.  The area where the door sills go has no seal. Gets wind noise.

I bought a cheepie trunk seal on ebay works good.  Hood is ez, just find something small off any old car..   Hood bumpers need to be bought off ebay. I gotta get those still. 1/4 windows I still have my stockers.  Squeegies from pnp were kinda a pian to build, dont seal very tight and are old hard rubber. Wish I had something better but dont drive in the rain unless I get caught in it or go for a test drive so......

already know im going baby blue... the question is, copy the stripe, or go without? I think it would be cool to copy it, but change a couple things I didn't like about it, but at the same time, itd be a lot cleaner solid blue.... decisions decisions...

already know im going baby blue... the question is, copy the stripe, or go without? I think it would be cool to copy it, but change a couple things I didn't like about it, but at the same time, itd be a lot cleaner solid blue.... decisions decisions...

I vote solid blue no strip, it was different and cool but like you said it would look much cleaner without.

DRIFTING_zpsddf8f557.jpg

From yesterdays open drift, Coming off the 3/8s bank. Was my first day hitting the hole thing!       I also may have hit the wall on my last run... but its not to bad. still drives

For some 510 news... Going to pick up a rolling shell on sunday! the510keeper is getting it up to Vancouver, and he also wants the ass end of my car... gunna drag it in on Thursday and start taking it apart. Ill be committed when the saws all comes out....