Bagged and Boosted 71 4dr 510

but u could call indy and see if he has his strut towers and inner fenders left over from rusty ruby.....i seen other cars with viable clips and non viable rear ends.......i think keeper did a car for bob 3 i think that needed similar repair...granted hes experienced but i seen nothing in your build threads that suggest its over your head....till you peel all that bent garbage off and pull the motor u wont know what the repair really entails...hate to see this baby just get tubed and flogged....all u need really is the core support and drivers wheel house ... your could prolly straighten that strut pocket enough to accept a new wheel house...looks like it pinched it but it looks like the rear inner section is ok...

Yeah there isnt any way to tell until it gets taken apart really, the thing that concerns me is the firewall appears to by pushed back, and the passenger side is bent towards the drivers side, which could be bent back, but it looks twisted at the a pillar which is my biggest concern

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im sure a new front could be put back on the thing... Ive seen it done too. I just think that with the amount of damage and the fact that all this effort will cost out of pocket because theres a chance that insurance wont pay up, that IMHO it would be smarter to just part this car and make some cash back, then buy a decent 510 in the area and start again. That will save you from all the headache that is grafting on a new front as well as take car of any of the issues that this car had. You can start fresh.

If youre going to spend the time and money out of pocket, Id rather spend it on a non-wrecked 510 than one that is. With the amount of damage, even if insurance pays you, its still going to be a savaged title. Theres way too much damage not to be. 

Well i dont know what ins will do, i know that ins companys are a lot different with fault, itll wil most likely be a split fault, im just depressed and its hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

But the officer basically told me that there is no way to 100% tell who had the red and who had the green, it basically came down to two witnsses one saying i had green and one on the other side saying he had a red and i was in the intersection, the officer said the light is linked for opposing directions... he also said that my "skid marks" and how far i pushed her means i was going way to fast to have been slowing for a red. he says he THINKs it PROBALLy went green right as i was going into the intersection but in his OPINION i wasnt stopping for the light. EVEN IF that WAS true she had to have cut that yellow wayto close...

I was growing more and more angry talking to him on the phone, he had no facts in the conversation, hes sending me a copy of the police report this afternoon, we shall see what that says.

at this point its going to come down to ins companys, it will most likely end up split fault all things considered, its my story against hers basically at this point. so i will probally get something for the car, my pestimistic attitude right now is just thinking that anything i get will be next to nothng

Thanks for the support guys, ill keep updating this as stuff happens, if anyone has any other ideas as to waht i should do witht he car, im happy to listen to them.

that offcer is copping out...(no pun intended..).....for the guy behind u to say it was green should be enough ... other people from other angles might not have really seen and are just speculating being u have a dope car and that someone with that kinda car would prolly be speeding....skid marks mean nothing ....and he should know that.... when traveling through a green intersection to suddenly be surprised by a car coming across your bow would be a surprise and prolly not really give u much time to react let alone skid out and try and stop ... i willing to bet unless your leaving something out that this officer is not doing due diligence to his service and just assuming more than actually investigating it....after all its not like u were going and looked up and had to skid to a stop and rear ended someone ... your going through a light and someone is crossing n front of u .....unless she pulled out and stopped in the intersection and u skided through two car length's before the intersection marks are irrelevant.....

i will tell u this .... alot of at fault drivers that require medical care, do this in order to leave the scene and not have to report on scene what they did... and create sympathy and give themselves time to get there story down .. then at the scene officers rely on second hand knowledge and cling ons to piece together what really happened....then hours later they head to the hospital or more likely the persons house ... to get there info where they have had hours to decide what has happened....its more common than not in these situations .... my wife works the er as a nurse and sees it everyday ... people using the medical care and ambulance service to get off scene to avoid anything from accident reports to dui's......

to be honest the should only rely on any witness in similar lanes of travel ... pedestrians that heard the crash then looked usually have skewed and imaginary details they like to provide cause they feel its there civic duty and end up doing more damage to what really happened and not adding any real value to the situation.... its tough cause he info is there if the cops wants to really do a investigation but 9-10 they think there to busy doing real crime stuff.....i know when i been ripped off by thieves all they ever tell me is here's your case number and that's why u got insurance...

Yeah there isnt any way to tell until it gets taken apart really, the thing that concerns me is the firewall appears to by pushed back, and the passenger side is bent towards the drivers side, which could be bent back, but it looks twisted at the a pillar which is my biggest concern

ok if u got shift thats a little tougher but i know frame machine guys that if u give them 400 bux they will spend the day straightening it as much as possible .....but u gotta find a good one theres people out there that will fuck yor shit up worse then viva le mexico did...

fyi insurance aint gonna do shit... they only see your car as a 40 yo relic .... they will look at the value and issue u a 1200 check ....no amount of explaining will change that ... me personally would pass on the insurance check and just fix it and keep t from getting a totaled title...sucks but no insurance company cares what u did or what it is really is they just look at a book and plus or minus it for condition....but even that will only net or lose u a couple hundered bux....shitty situation all the way around....

theres no way around it your getting the shaft either way....and paying out of pocket....

Tristin, i know what your saying, its just hard for me to grasp the concept of parting everything in the car that i would love to keep for another project, (and even if i did part EVERYTHING id could meybe get what like 1500-2000 and itll take a couple months?) but i agree that starting fresh would be easier then fixing...

Jrock, ill be honest, i only had liability on the car, so anything i get is coming from her ins company, a guy is coming out today to look at it, ill be sure to ask him more and see whta he thinks, a salvage title doesnt bother me, anyone could have looked at that car before and seen it was wrecked once.

Save yourself the hastle and swap all the good stuff into another shell. This one already had some ratty quarters and stuff anyway right? If you have a hard time finding a clean one shoot me a PM. I might have a few leads in my back pocket. ;)

Thats kinda my best plan at the moment, and i would still have this shell laying around to do something with eventually

Depending on what happens i may be shooting you a pm here someday ;)

Thanks

Tristin, i know what your saying, its just hard for me to grasp the concept of parting everything in the car that i would love to keep for another project, (and even if i did part EVERYTHING id could meybe get what like 1500-2000 and itll take a couple months?) but i agree that starting fresh would be easier then fixing...

Jrock, ill be honest, i only had liability on the car, so anything i get is coming from her ins company, a guy is coming out today to look at it, ill be sure to ask him more and see whta he thinks, a salvage title doesnt bother me, anyone could have looked at that car before and seen it was wrecked once.

I guess I should elaborate. I didnt quite mean sell every part on the car... Id follow up with Hobbes and find something clean and move all your shit over. 

i only run liability on all my custom shit since i know ... and experienced how insurance company's will do nothing for u ... and even haggerty has a bad rep if u google them ... they will use your mods against u to stone wall your claim....insurance company's employee people whos specific duty is to find loop holes or ways out of paying claims.....it is one of the most depressing things to deal with, a insurance claim... they're really not there for u ... and if u should benefit your lucky ... there not in the business of handing out money,  there in the business of selling premiums and gambling on the fact the odds are most of the customers are like me that refuse to make claims due to shitty representation of value and raising of premiums should u make a claim... basically i only carry insurance to fulfill my legal obligation ....some call it stupid ... but i figure if i crash its either gonna be me doing some thing stupid like showing off and crashing into a ditch or i will be hit by someone .....either way im likely gonna be shunned by insurance company's being i drive shit that's old.....here's a little secret ... insurance company's will deny claims if u run a collector plate like me ... in there eyes the car shouldn't even be on the road....i don't care how insurance company portray them selves via advertising .. there not here for u or looking out for u there in the business of billing u and gambling they wont have to really help u out....two things that are the devil personified... facebook and insurance company's...

best advice swap to some hub caps and stock steelies... peoples opinions are easily swayed....don't get put in a category and  fully inflate your bags so it doesn't appear lowered....your better off to appear nos then not...if later on they catch on and ask why just say it wouldn't roll on the other wheels so i had to change them out since the tow guy dropped my shit off on the corner of my block..

I guess I should elaborate. I didnt quite mean sell every part on the car... Id follow up with Hobbes and find something clean and move all your shit over. 

this is a good alternative and save the shell for later u may come across a wrecked 4 dr with a good nose...

Heinz had his fixed, whole front end swapped out. When it was calculated, it was super expensive. I'd bet the keeper would swap to another shell. It would be more cost effective. However it can be fixed time and money permitting. I would like to see it fixed, at the same time, i could understand swapping to a new shell. If you do fix it, I could see it being pulled straight first, then Drilling out spot welds and removing the left inner sheet metal, possibly the frame rail, etc. even after the repairs, you may end up with less caster on the left side and have to compensate with a t/c rod kit to get more caster on that side.

That cop may just see you as a "kid" and just doesn't want to do the math on the skid marks. If you were speeding or not it can be calculated. We're there cameras on the inner section? Maybe he's trying to "save" both sides? Who knows.

That sucks man. I teared up over a little fender bender, but it was cause in my eyes my buddy got hurt.

Man fuck that tow dude, was it on a flatbed? Most tow truck drivers are lazy as fuck. And you probably could have had your insurance pay for the tow.

Best of luck to you buddy :)

Ps dont let her die!

i see u know what your doing when it comes to proper techniques...

. If you do fix it, I could see it being pulled straight first, then Drilling out spot welds and removing the left inner sheet metal, possibly the frame rail, etc. even after the repairs, you may end up with less caster on the left side and have to compensate with a t/c rod kit to get more caster on that side.

I have a goon that would store them for you Casey! I'm closesr then jrock! The only person I need to worry about is vintage... :rofl:

I am closer.   But not a parts vulture.

Wounds need time to heal.  Just look at this as an opportunity to build another car.  Thats the best part anyway.    ahem.........vg30 carbed........ahem....

• Like 3
Heinz had his fixed, whole front end swapped out. When it was calculated, it was super expensive. I'd bet the keeper would swap to another shell. It would be more cost effective. However it can be fixed time and money permitting. I would like to see it fixed, at the same time, i could understand swapping to a new shell. If you do fix it, I could see it being pulled straight first, then Drilling out spot welds and removing the left inner sheet metal, possibly the frame rail, etc. even after the repairs, you may end up with less caster on the left side and have to compensate with a t/c rod kit to get more caster on that side.

That cop may just see you as a "kid" and just doesn't want to do the math on the skid marks. If you were speeding or not it can be calculated. We're there cameras on the inner section? Maybe he's trying to "save" both sides? Who knows.

yeah, i thnk a shell is in my future, and keep this one around until i have the money to do something aweseom with it...

That sucks man. I teared up over a little fender bender, but it was cause in my eyes my buddy got hurt.

Man fuck that tow dude, was it on a flatbed? Most tow truck drivers are lazy as fuck. And you probably could have had your insurance pay for the tow.

Best of luck to you buddy :)

Ps dont let her die!

It wasnt a flatbad, it wasnt a run of the mil tow truck eiher, its the type that goes down, pushed against the front tires and he put the big hooks in and sucks it all together, then lifted the back and put little dollys under it.