1977 620 disk brakes

datsun77

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW....1/2 hour and no:

"USE THE DAMN SEACH TOOL" and "READ THE FAQs" thrashing yet....

....not withstanding the fact that the few that are posting the most about proper forum etiquette are definitely correct, some people are new...

Please there's plenty of info here...you are opening up a can of worms that can be tamed by just doing some reading... It's easy, but it's not...

See this thread: http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=154

and make sure you read: http://www.nwde.org/extras/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2005

good luck...

Carefully cut the frame just ahead of the fire wall and weld the '79 onto the '77. This will give you the disc brakes and also get rid of the king pins (ugh). Be sure to use '79 m?c it's set for front disc brakes.

• 4 months later...

This is the question we use to make fun of noobs. "can I bolt 1978-79 disc brakes on my truck" the other one is "I have no money, how can I make my Datsun FAST!" :)

anyway, the FAQ http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=2129

has info on kits for disc brakes.

The simple answer is NO, later disc brakes will NOT bolt onto the earlier trucks. Either use a kit or cut off the entire susepnsion at the frame and re-weld the 1978+ a-arms and all onto it. The lower arm mount can stay.

:lol::lol::lol:

You can't put them on because of the jump from KingPin to Ball Joints in the front end. Is this correct? I checked the length of the upper and lower arms to the backing plates of both last night. They LOOK to be the same. Is this not correct. Too wide or narrow at the frame?

honestly; I have been looking for the last few days myself. I have been through a shit load of posts but nothing that spits out the direct answer. Or maybe I'm looking for why not. It may seem like a dumb ass question to those of you that have been ratt'n your Datsun for a time now, but, those of us coming into this now, may not KNOW this info. AND I'M NOT GOING TO READ THROUGH A SHIT LOAD OF PAGES ON BRAKES TO FIND THE ANSWER.

MY FELLOW RATSUNERS, why is it that everyone gets so bent when some one new asks a repeat question, let me put it to u this way, think of yourself as a teacher, u taught a certain lesson in class and a few days, weeks, etc go by, and a new student comes to class, and they ask a question about what u taught shortly ago, can't u be polite and guide them to the topic as any teacher would do, or is it absolutly neccesary to belittle the new peeps, i think not, kindly tell them where they might look, such as under the faq's, or in such and such index, or briefly explain to them how to look for it, they r new and may not know how to find it, we need to stop chopping everyones head off when they ask a repeat question, now if they have asked repeatedly then have at it.. but come on when u were new u probably did the same thing, we were not all born with a wealth of knowledge, at least i know it took me a few years to get to where i am today, so lighten up, and help out, besides i thouhgt thats why we r here..:) have a great day..tom

You know this is about the most polite forum on the web right? You should see how they treat noobs elsewhere....

...and on those sites your post would be as flame worthy as the origional post, if not more so. :)

It's not about the question, it's about forum etiquette

Forums and you, a guide to posting on the internet.

2eDeYe;83402']You know this is about the most polite forum on the web right? You should see how they treat noobs elsewhere....

...and on those sites your post would be as flame worthy as the origional post' date=' if not more so. :)

It's not about the question, it's about forum etiquette

Forums and you, a guide to posting on the internet.

I LOVE THAT VIDEO. :D

2eDeYe;83402']You know this is about the most polite forum on the web right? It's not about the question' date=' it's about forum etiquette

[/quote']

So when a new student comes to class we have them go to the library to look up information on their topic. After they educate themselves just a little they can come back and explain what they found, what they are trying to do, and ask further questions. No problem.

Pointing out that this is a common 'noob' question was the most harsh thing said. His head wasn't chopped off.

Like Redeye said, in 99% of other automotive forums, a moderator would have told him to SEARCH with no further help and the thread would be locked. Or people would hurl insults at him just for fun before the thread gets locked with the common phrase 'IBTL'

In Before The Lock :mellow:

MY FELLOW RATSUNERS, why is it that everyone gets so bent when some one new asks a repeat question, let me put it to u this way, think of yourself as a teacher, u taught a certain lesson in class and a few days, weeks, etc go by, and a new student comes to class, and they ask a question about what u taught shortly ago, can't u be polite and guide them to the topic as any teacher would do, or is it absolutly neccesary to belittle the new peeps, i think not, kindly tell them where they might look, such as under the faq's, or in such and such index, or briefly explain to them how to look for it, they r new and may not know how to find it, we need to stop chopping everyones head off when they ask a repeat question, now if they have asked repeatedly then have at it.. but come on when u were new u probably did the same thing, we were not all born with a wealth of knowledge, at least i know it took me a few years to get to where i am today, so lighten up, and help out, besides i thouhgt thats why we r here..:) have a great day..tom

Please take this as "another perspective" more than a rant...not trying to hate on anyone here.....

.......couple of differences.....there's a search feature on here....and it takes a buttload longer to type this crap out----for the 20th time---then it does to verbally explain something. More often than not, it comes down to laziness. All forums have search features and it's hard to believe that this forum is the first one they've ever been on. When I got into datsuns, I spent hours on each of several different forums digging for the info I wanted. I did my "due dilegence" before I started asking questions. If someone is too lazy to do a simple search.....and on a common topic like this, a simple search would most definitely yield results.....then why should "we" on this forum be expected to put forth the effort to explain it again? Oh....it's a matter of time?? Don't have the time to spend hours searching the forums??? Well, .....we're all busy and we don't particularly have the time to re-post previously posted info. Don't get me wrong...we do repeat the info......a lot!! But if it's somebody's first post and it's a common question...they didn't read the FAQ or bother with a search.....so I'm not typically going to bother with them. I get pretty long winded in my posts and I'd say I average an easy 15min per.....I've spent over an hour composing several threads/posts....so at 1200+ posts on this forum alone...I've got over 300hrs of posting on here. That's not counting the hundreds of PM's I've dealt with....a lot of them answering questions guys didn't want to ask about on the open forum. That's 300hrs I should have been actually working on a datsun!! :) So, I'm sorry, but I do find it frustating and a bit disrespectful when a guy's first post makes it obvious that he spent less than 5 min to register and post a common question.

It's a bit different story when the person comes on...shares a bit about who he is, why he's into datsuns, what he has, what he needs...WHERE HE'S LOCATED!!!(sorry...pet peeve:) They tend to get a lot more response then the guy that makes his first post "how do I put discs on my truck"

As time goes bye, I post less and less...partly because so much of it is already on here and much is BS completely unrelated to datsuns. I'm glad to see there's some new blood moving up in the ranks and taking over on a lot of the posting and helping.

......chock up another 30min!!! :)

Don't get me wrong....I do agree that there's no need to beat up the new guy...just point him to the FAQ. I just thought I'd share my perspective...which I'm sure is shared by at least a few others.....so the new guys might better understand why they got the response they got. Anyway..... I got a lathe that needs fixed :(

i'm not talking about just this post, and i can care less what other sites do, so if u meet a new person on the street thats into datsuns and they ask the same questions that say some one else asked 2 days ago r u going to say look for so n so and he will answer that for u, or r u going to try to answer it? thats what i mean, i realize over and over again asked questions get old, but as i said earlier, u were not born with a world of knowledge and i was not either, and yes i understand forum rules and such as that, but c'mon the guy asking is a member, so cut him some slack and quit being such tight asses...i mean if i knew which post had the info i would have told them, thats what i mean..seems to me certain people here are ready to help certain people, but heaven forbid if u happen to make the mistake of asking for help..just my 2 cents:) have a great evening, hopefully we can chat later..tom

Well said Mike. I'm happy to do what I can to help a guy out who is trying to help himself out. I share anything I discover and learn for anyone that wants the information to benefit from.

I've been in the hotel a lot lately and have been pretty active on here. I have seen several "how do I put disc brakes on my 521/620" posts and other incredibly common posts. They are never in one of the 10 threads that answer the question. I have guys PM me often asking where I get Beebani's control arms or where I get hardbody drop spindles. I post the fucking links to where I buy stuff in my project thread. A search for 521 disc brake quickly answers a TON of questions on the subject.

I have read every word of nearly every project thread on here. That's where the information is. It's not hard to find the information! That's why we are here - to share it.

Do a little homework ladies, it will go a long way. You will also find a ton of other useful info....

I take a wheel off the front at the shows....so the discs are on display...so I get asked that same question many times over.....and no, it doesn't bother me to re-hash it again.......BUT...I can re-hash it in a matter of minutes as opposed to how long it takes to type it. As for putting up links.....I've got 1200 posts....how the heck am I supposed to remember where they are? Somebody asks me for a link, I have to go use the search button same as they would.....so why should it be my time doing the searching? If it only takes 5min to put in a search.....they can spare the 5min and do their own search.

My time on the forums has been declining for awhile now. I turned off all of the notifications except what I actually post to. I did that a month of so ago. I spend less time trying to keep on new postings for a couple of reasons....this kind of thing being one of them. So I've completely wasted nearly an hour of my life on this thread alone.....so if I had avoided reading the thread to begin with, I would have saved myself that time. It would have also saved the time for anyone else actually reading this. Once I can create my own webpages, my how to's and updates will go on olddatsuns.com and I'll probably stick mostly to pm's.

I want to help....but I get frustrated if they don't even try to help themselves. I have enough frustration in my life...I don't need to log on to look for more :)

I'm not upset...no hard feelings....I'm just getting tired. Winters closing in and I still haven't got anything done......so if I have to find some extra time somewhere.....this is where I'll find it :) I don't plan on disappearing....just backing off :)