Don't do this

walpal

This is brake related so hope I am listing in the correct area.

I picked up a set of 280ZX struts at the ol' Pick n' Pull to swap on to the 510.

Being a noob I wasn't to familiar with what they are supposed to look like, I just grabbed everything I thought I would need.

Got them home and started the discovery process and noticed one looked very different.

Turns out somebody put one of the pads in backwards which resulted in metal to metal contact on one side of the rotor.

The best part is they drove it like that long enough to wear the disc down to this. Must of made some sparks when they really slammed on the brakes.

I guess this shows which metal is harder.

badddbrakes.jpg

deaddisk.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea...some guy came into my work (autozone) and said he needed a new rotor and set his on the counter......followed by the hub in his other hand.

I've seen some pretty crazy shite myself...haha.

I have a problem with causing rotors to crack...my truck, my jeep...hopefully the datsun won't...haha. I tend to be hard on brakes though <_<

The couple of times I've come across rotors like that, the owner swears that it didn't make any noise and didn't pull. They said it made noise for awhile, then it quit so they forgot about it.

That is exactly what i have heard everytime I've seem rotors like that. "It wasnt makin any noise or nuthin."

Ive seen about half a dozen like that, had one guy ask if it could be turned down <_<

We had a flat tire on our Ford work van and when the tire was off I noticed the rotor all chewed up so we took it in for service and they replaced two new rotors and calipers. The service manager began by trying to tell me I should have.. blah blah blah sooner.... I told him there was absolutely NO indication anything was wrong. Brakes were the best thing. Only way I could have known was to take the wheel off. No pulling, noise or anything.