mrbigtankers 521

mrbigtanker

11 hours ago, mrbigtanker said:

Kickers are garbage. all the newest Alpine system. 

Small trucks and sound systems, I have a question perhaps you could answer. I have a couple of 10" marine bass tubes, I would like to mount one sideways in the king cab (it wouldn't fit longways with the woofer pointing toward the front of truck.) If mounted sideways, then I would assume a deflector should be mounted in front of the woofer, to reflect the sound and keep the bass from being lopsided. I lack the audio knowledge to figure this out, but know sometimes woofers are mounted facing away from the seats or even two facing each other, so I thought there might be options.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, frankendat said:

Small trucks and sound systems, I have a question perhaps you could answer. I have a couple of 10" marine bass tubes, I would like to mount one sideways in the king cab (it wouldn't fit longways with the woofer pointing toward the front of truck.) If mounted sideways, then I would assume a deflector should be mounted in front of the woofer, to reflect the sound and keep the bass from being lopsided. I lack the audio knowledge to figure this out, but know sometimes woofers are mounted facing away from the seats or even two facing each other, so I thought there might be options.

Good question if its a base tub power up throw in back and its best you listen for which is the best way to face them. Base tubs are actually pretty cool, I just don't have any room in this truck and there is nothing really in it. 

1 minute ago, mrbigtanker said:

Good question if its a base tub power up throw in back and its best you listen for which is the best way to face them. Base tubs are actually pretty cool, I just don't have any room in this truck and there is nothing really in it. 

sideways in the KC is the only option unless you want to cut the cab and custom box the back (I like bass but am not that dedicated and need to haul shit.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, mrbigtanker said:

Right so either turn the woofer inwards or outwards if I’m reading what you are asking right. See what sounds good to you. 

What's with the practical and sound advice? I thought that to obtain "better" there needs to be exhaustive internet research to find a cold war sound engineer, who created a titanium super sound doubler and learn plans were lost after the fall of the USSR. But, a some reverse engineers have a Facebook group attempting to recreate his designs. ONLY AFTER spending months learning theoretical sound theory will it be discovered the specific titanium needed for the doubler hasn't been mined for many years and is 1k per linear foot. THEN AND ONLY THEN, is it acceptable to turn the woofer inwards or outwards, see what sounds the best and mount. (it is too true to be funny)

14 minutes ago, thisismatt said:

You could run something (or a couple somethings) infinite baffle (IB).  Seems like there would be room under the seats or angled in the back bottom corner since the cab sits below the bed floor.

I can't visualize it, but will check out infinite baffles

15 minutes ago, Duncan said:

Bass is completely non-directional from about 120hz and lower.  If it's a true sub woofer, it shoudn't matter which way the cones fire.  

This is true, but placement still matters for loading.  If practical, you can place the sub at your listening position and then move your head (ears) around to where the bass is loudest, then put the sub there.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Duncan said:

Bass is completely non-directional from about 120hz and lower.  If it's a true sub woofer, it shoudn't matter which way the cones fire.  

I have a Bazooka Marine 10 inch Bass Tube as part of a complete system purchased more than a decade ago that has never been installed. Sure seems like the most sound would come from the end pushing air, but I admit don't know shit about this subject. Do I own a true sub woofer? The complete system is/was 2 Bazooka tubes and 2 Bazooka amps for the back, 2 marine polk audio mid range for the front doors, 2 polk audio marine tweets for the dash and 2 polk audio marine 6x9's if my separate component system wasn't fabulous, I would  throw them behind the front seats. Clarion marine head unit. It was for my FJ40 and all marine because the weather in Idaho can go from Sunny to Rain to Sunny to Rain and back again, if you run a Jeep or an FJ topless sooner or later you're going to get wet. Anyway, I think a single amp with a single sub, the mids in the doors and the tweets in the headliner or under dash will be plenty and I will still have another tube, another amp and a set of 6x9s for another vehicle.   What do you think?

Mine is like this one but didn't come with integrated amp, which is why I bought amps with them https://bazooka.com/products/bt-series-10-marine-amplified-bass-tubes

Edited by frankendat
added link
2 hours ago, thisismatt said:

This is true, but placement still matters for loading.  If practical, you can place the sub at your listening position and then move your head (ears) around to where the bass is loudest, then put the sub there.

"loading"??

7 hours ago, frankendat said:

"loading"??

Certain areas will compound the low frequencies, making them louder there than other areas. Typically this is in the corner of a room/space, so often called corner loading. You're more limited for placement in a vehicle, but you can still try it...

• Like 1

Base sounds are not very directional so while positioning may help or hinder the volume, which way they point isn't important and why subwoofers are not in pairs with left and right. As the frequency goes up, directionality separates into left and right. I have what used to be called a 'biscuit' speakers and mounted them at ear height on the A pillars or on top of dash so the sound they make bounces off the inside of the windshield providing definition. They are very small and must have an unobstructed direct path to the ears unlike the bass.  

• Like 1

Actually, subwoofer cone direction does matter, since baffle reflection can be used to effectively lower the frequency even more, but this is a more practical application in a livingroom, and matters much less in the cab of a vehicle. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, mainer311 said:

Actually, subwoofer cone direction does matter, since baffle reflection can be used to effectively lower the frequency even more, but this is a more practical application in a livingroom, and matters much less in the cab of a vehicle. 

It matters quite a bit in a vehicle also.  Bass is omnidirectional, but SPL at a given position is highly affected by subwoofer placement/direction.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Which is severely limited. It ends up being what it is.

Again, I'd say, not true.  If you have a subwoofer in a cube enclosure with the ability to face it any of 5 ways (or 6 if you put some standoffs on it), even with the cube in the exact same position in the vehicle/trunk, the amount of SPL at your ears will vary drastically depending on which way that driver (the speaker) is facing.  In a sedan, generally rear or up firing works best...people don't position this way just for show when the trunk is open.

Edited by thisismatt
  • Like 2
On 8/14/2023 at 7:54 PM, thisismatt said:

It's a truck, dude.  True, there might be a bass peak somewhere in the cab, but it's an import truck.  I would think finding a spot where it would fit be a somewhat difficult task. 

Theoretically, he could get a spectrum analyzer and pump a 50hZ bass signal to find the loudest spot.  It could make a dB or two of difference.  Of course it might be in the passenger seat, but it's totally worth it. 

Non-finished aluminum door panels might be better, too.  🙂

Edited by Duncan
  • Haha 4
1 hour ago, Duncan said:

It's a truck, dude.  True, there might be a bass peak somewhere in the cab, but it's an import truck.  I would think finding a spot where it would fit be a somewhat difficult task. 

Theoretically, he could get a spectrum analyzer and pump a 50hZ bass signal to find the loudest spot.  It could make a dB or two of difference.  Of course it might be in the passenger seat, but it's totally worth it. 

Non-finished aluminum door panels might be better, too.  🙂

Hey, maybe he could do a blow-through with 8 15's under a tonneau.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

53145917652_5fbf50e7de_4k.jpgUntitled by raymond medeiros, on Flickr

After many stupid questions and paying many shops thousands of dollars to make the window scrapers right. I finally got it done. lol

On a lighter note I bought this other set from a hot rod guy and they are galvanized steel and did not fit right. So My buddy Jose knows a another hot rod guys that sells these stainless steel ones with a black backing. Fit so much tighter its so hard to make perfect without scratching everything but they came out pretty good. Also you buy as a 8" length for like 30.00 bucks. Cut what you need. 

• Like 8
  • 2 weeks later...