Autocross/Street Handling '72 510 Wagon

IMG_6907_zpsc18edc09.jpg

Not unless I missed something in the text about drilling holes. No U67 head has the holes because they came with the intake and exhaust bolted together and used hot exhaust to warm the manifold. The water passages do a much better job and that's why your 220 intake has this. The water flow warms the intake air when colder and actually cools it when very hot under the hood. Those exhaust pipes radiate a lot of heat and are why the SUs use a heat shield.

If you don't have it yet, look into using the L20Bs return lines. They allow fuel to recirculate from the pump to the tank, round and round. Gas drawn into the SUs is then fresh and cool from the tank and not heat soaked. Better hot restarts.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not unless I missed something in the text about drilling holes. No U67 head has the holes because they came with the intake and exhaust bolted together and used hot exhaust to warm the manifold. The water passages do a much better job and that's why your 220 intake has this. The water flow warms the intake air when colder and actually cools it when very hot under the hood. Those exhaust pipes radiate a lot of heat and are why the SUs use a heat shield.

If you don't have it yet, look into using the L20Bs return lines. They allow fuel to recirculate from the pump to the tank, round and round. Gas drawn into the SUs is then fresh and cool from the tank and not heat soaked. Better hot restarts.

You are correct indeed, didn't even notice that... I may address that issue later down the road, but for now I'm more concerned with other projects and getting her running. 

On that note....

Luke finished my new down pipe/collector for the exhaust. 

photo60_zpsa32c1ade.jpg

photo63_zps3a529c08.jpg

photo64_zps95b88ab8.jpg

photo61_zpsbd197154.jpg

Man he makes the coolest looking stuff, notice the notch that's been taken out, should flow better. And the whole exhaust is going to be clamped together in sections, not welded. This will accomplish a few things. 

1. I'll be able to easily take the down pipe off and have it coated later on, would like to preserve Luke's work. 

2. Will allow me to "plug n' play" with the rest of the exhaust system. For instance, I'm planning on running a single muffler, but with 10:1 (ish) compression and 2 1/4" exhaust that my be a little too loud, so I'll have ease of access to put in a resonator/pre-silencer further up the car. 

3. Look at that thing!

photo62_zps5697cc25.jpg

It's just friggin' cool. 

LOL! well everyone thinks they can tig weld. but its only a exhaust pipe. Yes my real name is Luke and No i did not not weld that

His name is Luke Idhe, I've gotten stuff done before by him, and it's all great work. 

My brake brackets 

IMG_6069_zps8ffa04a2.jpg

Transmission tunnel

IMG_3418.jpg

IMG_3419.jpg

IMG_3427.jpg

IMG_3426.jpg

My seat brackets, traction bar mounting points, blocks, he's currently working on an air cleaner for me. His real talent isn't just in welding, but metal shaping and designing parts. 

All in this thread somewhere. 

Someday there'll be pictures of his real projects floating around... like my dad's orange 510  :ninja:

• 2 weeks later...

Holy crap. This build is awesomeness. Ill have to keep this on watch. Love me skme wagoon.

Looking good man! Can't wait for more progress  :thumbup:

that a glorious bit of welding right there.

Very NICE!

photo64_zps95b88ab8.jpgNeed to get mine done....pesky leak, keeps blowing gaskets...Plus L20 so I need a longer one.

Just realized I have not been properly responding to the positive feedback. 

Thank you!

I will back home on Tuesday and will hopefully get a running video of the wagon by Thanksgiving to post up here sometime around there. 

Got the wagon running thanks to a lot of help from Rob and Josh at ZCarGarage.

Decided to bring in some more know-how and motor break in experience for this to make sure that I didn't screw it up and accelerate the progress while I'm back home for the holiday weekend. 

th_IMG_0164_zps8a41d973.jpg

Video of the first drive. Don't really get to hear how it sounds, I'll take another video for that later. 

The thing is LOUD. Not ridiculous but it's definitely audible from a distance. And the cam is lumpy, making for a nasty sounding idle. 

I LOVED driving it. It pulls so hard, and it's not even dialed in. But there is a clutch problem that has yet to be solved. We're experiencing and inability to fully engage and disengage the clutch. Kinda feels like it's not there while driving. Adjusting the pedal is the first step before we do something more drastic. 

Fuzz: Will do! Hope everything goes okay at work. xvi00: For sure, the biggest thing was just being able to get the car on the road quicker. Once you drive one of these cars you know that you're never going to want to give it up for anything else, really keeps me motivated through all the things that seem to make the car hard to finish.Today I got the oil pan back up under the car with a new gasket, and put the crossmember back on. Found out that the rear springs are going to be here on thursday.... and I'm going to probably need to pick up the inserts from troy sometime mid-week. In the mean time I'm going to try to get the spook on, and do some more interior work and cleaning while the car is off the ground. Spook mock up pics, looks awesome. IMG_1446.jpgIMG_1449.jpgIMG_1450.jpgI've decided that eventually the car is going to need a VG33 eventually (far future, but planning on it none the less) My dad had one in his car for a long time. IMG_4848.jpgIMG_4630.jpg

What front lip is that?

• Like 1

th_MVI_7094_zps1308ce9b.jpg

th_MVI_7095_zpsc22ed5f8.jpg

Get an idea of what the new motor and exhaust sound like. It really roars up in the 3-6k rpm range. Going to need to figure out some of the whining and fix it, it's either a belt or an alternator problem

Car gets aligned this week and then I just need to fine tune. I've got it in the ball park but it could always be better, need to check sync and air/fuel all the way through the rpm range. 

Will have some finished engine bay pics tomorrow before I leave for the last week of school. 

IMG_7098_zpsf8c5c563.jpg

IMG_7099_zpscab8b014.jpg

IMG_7100_zpsb7f69cd9.jpg

jrock and all of you tall Datsun guys know how this feels. 

• Like 3