Autocross/Street Handling '72 510 Wagon

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's probably going to be a dark red with off white color bands on the head and seat tube, same pattern as before. 

Edit: here's my dad's fixed gear. 

I love the colors, can't help but copy them. Mine will be a rattle can (with a little more care and finish than the last one) not a full on paint job like his. 

IMG_5432_zps03558d15.jpg

IMG_5433_zps21fa9b5b.jpg

IMG_5434_zps716981cd.jpg

nice work and nice wagon buddy! Gotta say, I've gotten a lot of inspiration for mine, after reading through your thread. 

The bike is rad too! I bought an old Schwinn Typhoon a little while ago that I haven't gotten around to restoring. Bikes & Goons are the shit.  :thumbup:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Brakes comin' soon. Engine should be done either this week or next week, then I'll drop it in. Got all the parts for the roof rack and it's gone on the car for it's first test fit, pics when I finish cutting the bars to the perfect length, and hopefully have the fairing (scored and old school one on ebay for a decent price instead of one of the skinny new ones with no "sticker space"). 

Went to a ZoNC show I learned about pretty last minute, got second in the 510 class.... of two. Other was very clean, only a few things I didn't think worked well on the car, but overall, beautifully executed and very deserving of beating my beat up wagon. 

Rolling

DSC08412-e1374990256212_zpsae8f0aaa.jpg

DSC08400_zps6139da1c.jpg

101 is the most shittily maintained road I have ever had to drive on, couldn't take a good rolling shot with no blur of anything to save a life. 

IMG_5961_zps94c1043d.jpg

First place 510 to the right ^

IMG_5965_zps4bee1a29.jpg

And finally a good shot of my bay after cleaning. 

DSC08438_zps39f27d81.jpg

• Like 1

I like the self admitted temporary batt strap and characterure explaining said  situation

Maybe that was the breaking point that made everyone vote for the other 510  :rofl:

Roof rack pics. 

IMG_5977_zpsa05a66e0.jpg

IMG_5983_zpsde9ee25a.jpg

I really didn't like the long bike channel look, so I cut it to make a shorty channel (like the old school Yakima ones, not the stupid cup ones they make now)

IMG_5986_zps6ee94075.jpg

IMG_5979_zps975e40b8.jpg

Hatch Clearance

IMG_5985_zps6cfedfa1.jpg

Check.

My serious riding bike, since the Omo isn't done yet. 

IMG_5984_zpsb719e1f7.jpg

Fairing should be in today, need to find my other Datsun Tiki sticker Goki made me....

• Like 1

Brakes are in the final stages, should be picking them up and doing the finishing touches myself very soon. 

I'm in the middle of a door panel re-do. Have decided that the ABS plastic panels just aren't going to cut it, both in finish and in sound deadening. They make more noise than no panels hahaha. So I've decided to attempt to reskin my original door panels.

I have attempted fiberglass patches on the tears and messed up holes from taking them on and off repeatedly, will be sourcing some cheapish vinyl soon, and I'm going to pick up some thin sheets of foam to provide additional padding and noise reduction. Figured using the original panels is the best way to makes sure they fit well, just need to change the color. 

So I got a motor.

IMG_5990_zps3f9121bd.jpg

Big thanks to Troy Ermish for all his help in planning and building this motor. Looks great, no doubt it will run great too. 

Final details are: Z22 block and front cover with a refinished Z22 crank. Z20S rods with stock KA pistons. U67 head with a DAM cam (big lift, this things going to be nice and lumpy sounding. So excited  :hyper: ). Total comes out to a 2150cc motor that will be reliable, make about 130 at the wheels (both torque and hp) with my SUs, and will run smoothly (no shaking like the big LZ23).

Motor will go in soon, still have some other things that are ahead of it on the list (brakes, carbs, distributor). 

In the meantime I'm switching some stuff out on the hardware side of things. Here's the original bolts that I gave troy with the motor: 

IMG_5991_zps54a0ef21.jpg

Now:

IMG_5992_zps4bb859b8.jpg

Sex

IMG_5989_zps5246c9c0.jpg

All of the sexiness that will be this motor. 

Also got some stuff done on the door panels. Found some deadening foam at home depot I liked (actually used to deaden sound under hardwood and tile floors, it's sort of a compression mat). On the panel: 

IMG_5993_zps32eabc1b.jpg

I've been fixing the tears and crap holes in the panels with a bondo fiberglass repair/patch kit. It's not super pretty, but it's strong and it keeps them rigid where there used to be tears. Besides, it'll all be covered by vinyl eventually. 

IMG_5994_zpsf23eae00.jpg

IMG_5995_zps4424f070.jpg

sexy shit..that lz is da bomb...

.. so in California I know it still rains occasionally......so what do u do with all your garage type stuff when the eventual down pour hits.... here in the northern corner u leave nothing outside unless its rain worthy.... but I always see Californiaites using out door spaces like extra garage space...

Most everything that can rust us under a tarp out there, you can see one of the shelves covered by a tarp in the background of some of the bike pics. We have a good sized overhang on the roof of the house and the fence is pretty high so water doesn't really get within a couple feet of the walls unless it's really bad. Things like that vacuum and bikes and most car parts actually go in a shed or in the garage at night or when it rains.... I don't think it's rained here in over a month at least, and when rain is about to happen everyone finds out before hand. 

That compressor's broke so we don't really care about it....

Painted, new studs. Pretty sleek looking.

IMG_6471_zps26118c4b.jpg

IMG_6472_zps4431d6ec.jpg

Too bad they don't fit yet. 

So I've discovered that 1/2 inch spacers is not going to be enough to get the Rotas to fit with the new struts. Woooo.  So what I actually need is about a 16mm spacer, or a 9/16" spacer. Fun stuff trying to find a set of those. 

Talked to a couple guys, nobody really has anything that will work. Found a shop that would be willing to make me a set for a decent price (hubcentric, going to be some sexy shit). 

but after testing that size spacer with washers I discovered that I'm not going to have a sufficient thread count on the studs, not even the new, longer ones I just put in.

So, in short, I need to find a 60mm long stud now, take everything apart and redo it all (minus the paint). 

Also, I've gone through two wrong sets of fittings for the brake lines, first getting ones that didn't have an insert in the female end to account for the hard lines originally on the car. Then I got the ones with the correct insert, but in the wrong thread size. Somehow told Kent at Dando's that I needed 10X1.25 instead of 10X1.... DOH! 

Feeling like I've screwed up just a couple things hahaha. 

Also, found out that we mis-communicated with Z-Therapy, so the SU kit is going to be late as well. :frantics: 

Did I mention I leave for college, with the car, in less than four weeks?

I need to get my shit together....

Nothing ever goes as planned.