Duncan's 71 "Oz" Goon

Duncan

Mark. If you find you don't need the extra glass let me know. I think Mike used 80 grit sand paper to clean the windows on my wagon.

They are really bad. Just sayin "FUCKER"

Sorry I didn't get to talk to ya at Nissan Jam. That street bike was like a stripper to me. When I turned around you were gone.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry I didn't get to talk to ya at Nissan Jam. That street bike was like a stripper to me. When I turned around you were gone.

No worries there.  I was blocking the driveway and had to move..

I'm sureI I'll have some spare front glass for you.  I'm junking the existing front doors, and will take every usable part off before they go away.  The new door glass has some weird blue tint that is peeling off, but I think they will easily clean up with a razor blade. 

I need to check out the rear doors, but we'll see what's going on there..

Mark,

We have Rudy's AND Blue Bell in New Mexico now, come on over.

Say, did those doors have the belt mouldings? I be needing a set for a goon

• Like 1

Mark,

We have Rudy's AND Blue Bell in New Mexico now, come on over.

Say, did those doors have the belt mouldings? I be needing a set for a goon

I'm jealous!  Is the belt molding the stainless that runs along the outside of the glass?   

The money isn't all that much.  The time is a bitch.  I didn't want this much of a project, but if I'm gonna do it...

See you and Vic at Eagle Rock in a few weeks..

U are a crazy MF

when your done you will have one badass wagon, might cost you the amount of a house these days, but who can say they did that shit for real.

"I'm jealous! Is the belt molding the stainless that runs along the outside of the glass?"

Yes, they are the mouldings that you would rest your arm on if you had the window down and were cruising down the road.  I think they are called belt mouldings because they are about even with your belt when standing next to the car (that's my story and I'm sticking to it).

• 2 weeks later...

Fuck me, this shit is driving me a bit loony...

Got new (used) doors.  Starting taking paint off right front.  It was damaged, but repairable.  Probably looking at two full days or work to get it nice.  Fortunately, Freddie had a right front door in the rafters that had been there for years and he gave it to me.  It needed a few hours of repair, but much less than the other two rf doors I have :)  Here it is after some dent straightening and some lead work..

fk43.jpg

So I decide to work at home and pull apart and strip the left front door.  It's absolute junk..

f9qc.jpg

I actually talked to a guy on CL yesterday that has assorted wagon parts for sale.  He doesn't have a door, but he knows someone who does.  Just got back a little while ago and immediately stripped the paint off.  Finally got a straight left front.

8x9r.jpg

It looks like the door mirror got yanked on and the door is bent around that area, but it's repairable..   Anyway, I have 10 wagon doors now..Pretty absurd, but that's how it goes sometimes..

On the plus side, my gray spray painted heater is cleaned up and back together.  Other than the broken slat on the bottom vent, it's looking real nice.

oh6n.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Slow progress.  Got sick a few weeks back, and it really kicked my butt for about two weeks.  Working on "manure" doors again.  (Stole the "manure" from Kelly)

fg0YWb.jpg

Drivers door had multiple mirror holes in it, and it looked like someone tried to kick the mirror off and dented the door instead.  I pulled the dent out with my stud welder and slide hammer, then lead filled it.  

U2XO7S.jpg

primer, block, then more primer, and blocking on driver's door..

dKVsVX.jpg

blah blah blah passenger side..

Datrod, the extra front windows I have are cheaply blue tinted.  I'm pretty sure they will clean up with a razor blade.  Kelly. I'll probably have some moldings for you.  I haven't forgotten, I just gotta get through it and see what I need to finish the doors..

BTW, ComicCon was in San Diego this weekend and the shittiest fleabag hotel room in town was $175 per night!  Ouch!  I had Friday off, but stayed home at that price.   San Diego was geek central this weekend. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I could post an update, but the front doors look EXACTLY like they do above.  The only exception is that they have been primered and blocked out about three times each.  The things are super-straight now.  I plan to finish sand with 400 grit, epoxy primer, and paint at least one of them next Saturday.  I'll take photos as I go..

BTW, I posted my original mesh rims for sale at a super-cheap price.  Check 'em out, fuckers..

SOLD!

• Like 1

I could post an update, but the front doors look EXACTLY like they do above. The only exception is that they have been primered and blocked out about three times each. The things are super-straight now. I plan to finish sand with 400 grit, epoxy primer, and paint at least one of them next Saturday. I'll take photos as I go..

BTW, I posted my original mesh rims for sale at a super-cheap price. Check 'em out, fuckers..

http://community.ratsun.net/classifieds/item/4410-rare-import-mesh-rims-ratsun-blowout/

Damn I really want those wheels. But I'm too far away.

Wow, I actually caught a break.  I stripped the rear doors (mostly) this morning to see what's underneath and found clean, original, straight metal under the original paint.  Out of the four I got in Phoenix, three were fine.  I guess that's not too bad..

8Yyvh0.jpg  

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Here we go again.  Wanted to paint my front doors, but my neighbor borrowed my engine stand a few years ago and needs to go retrieve it.  I have a fixture that bolts to the doors so it slides onto an engine stand.  You can rotate it around on the stand, and paint the entire door at one time.  Very simple and works well.

fo0bAo.jpg

Since I didn't have the stand, I stripped and did a little lead slinging on one of the rear doors.

zEH5md.jpg

xHGy8a.jpg

This door is amazingly straight.,  Just one little small dent which was a 10-minute fix..

INN1N8.jpg

Pretty much moved from my friend's shop in San Diego.  The shell and front suspension is done, so it's MUCH cheaper and easier to work on parts here.  I was driving 100 miles each way nearly every weekend.  I still have to do a few things down there, but I'm hoping to get the car home at the end of next month. 

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Ugh..Still working on doors :(

Rear door has been blocked and primered a couple of times.  One more round of block sanding and a coat of thinned-out primer surfacer, and this one will be ready for the final prep and paint like the front doors.

YzmMzE.jpg

The last door on the "on deck" circle..

xaLr24.jpg

I've gotten some emails on my high-build primer.  I use PPG NCP280 and the hardener that comes with it.   (From memory, I think it's NCX285) I can't stress how great this stuff is.  It's crazy thick, and can damn near fill a crater.  It's BIG bank at around $100 a qt, but it IS the shit..

1QfOON.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Ray.  The door thing seems to be dragging on forever, but I'll get through them.

Datrod, the blue-tinted door glass has your name all over them.  I did scrape one of the windows, and the tint comes off with a razor blade fairly quickly.  

Looking real good mark.