Duncan's 71 "Oz" Goon

Duncan

My neighbor has a Tiger at my friend's shop and I was going absolutely stir crazy, so I took a chance and accepted his offer to ride down there with him.  I figured if I couldn't do much, the fresh air and company would do me some good.  (I was also nervous about getting car sick on the way down, too)

Even though it was bit touch and go, I got some progress on the wagon.

I wasn't quite sure how to fill in the indentation on the wheel well where the battery box was, so this is how I did it..

Cut a piece that gets welded just below the ridge of the opening.

iZzUxY.jpg

Then weld it in.  (Fitting it while you tack)

mbhACW.jpg

Grind welds, then tin it for lead.

vVrs1T.jpg

Sling lead onto car..

bmI6HC.jpg

I just wasn't up to the filing today, but I will get to it when I'm feeling better.  Filing this will be a bit tricky because there are a few different curves I have to get the lead to conform to.  I'm confident I can get 'er done, but when I'm feeling a bit better. 

I'm wondering how most people fill in this battery tray area.  Do you guys hammer it from the backside and then bondo it, or do you weld in a piece like I did?  

• Like 3
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That looks about like what my Dad showed me on lead filling parking lot dents on my first car, ('72 Opel Manta). He would have been 99 on March 22, lived through the great depression, and could make anything out of nothing with his bare hands. Lead filling is almost a lost art. Bravo for giving it a shot. Hope you are better soon!

• 2 weeks later...

I have one last door that needs to be resprayed, but I have been looking at the rear hatch in my garage for a long time now, so I decided to tear into that just to shift gears for a bit.

I still have this damn vertigo, so I can't work on this for too long, but it keeps me from losing my mind being at the house so much :)

Got the hatch all apart and saw this inner brace that was cut and then rivited (sort of) back together.  Don't get why it was bent up so badly, either. 

e28zMc.jpg

It was an easy fix to straighten and weld, but it's weird how or why that happened.

TJb70K.jpg

Also, discovered this BIG hole near the lock assembly.  I actually googled a few 510 wagon images to make sure this wasn't a factory hole.   I am assuming a previous owner had something bolted on to the rear hatch.  It's too big to be coincidental, and there is no rust at all in that area.   I made a round piece to fit it, then welded it up.

CbWLHd.jpg

All the trim holes were bondo'd over, so once they were open again, I had to try my badass NOS Wagon badge on for size :)

0Zq7eN.jpg

Directly above the wagon badge, there are three holes to fit an Aussie "Datsun 1600" badge which is the same one that goes on the front fenders.  I like the badge, but WAY too big for the hatch, so I welded them up.  The only badge on the hatch will be the wagon badge.

o7wsEY.jpg

If anyone is interested, I have about 5 or 6 areas that need lead fill.  I will probably get to this a week from Superbowl Sunday.  I think that is Feb 8. 

If you want to see how it is done, or want to get some hands on, I would be happy to show anyone who is interested, or wants to try it.  This will probably be the last lead that gets applied to this car.

Please drop me a PM if you want to check it out.  I am in Huntington Beach.

• Like 3

I have one last door that needs to be resprayed, but I have been looking at the rear hatch in my garage for a long time now, so I decided to tear into that just to shift gears for a bit.

I still have this damn vertigo, so I can't work on this for too long, but it keeps me from losing my mind being at the house so much :)

Got the hatch all apart and saw this inner brace that was cut and then rivited (sort of) back together.  Don't get why it was bent up so badly, either. 

e28zMc.jpg

It was an easy fix to straighten and weld, but it's weird how or why that happened.

TJb70K.jpg

Also, discovered this BIG hole near the lock assembly.  I actually googled a few 510 wagon images to make sure this wasn't a factory hole.   I am assuming a previous owner had something bolted on to the rear hatch.  It's to big to be coincidental, and there is no rust at all in that area.   I made a round piece to fit it, then welded it up.

CbWLHd.jpg

All the trim holes were bondo'd over, so once they were open again, I has to try my badass NOS Wagon badge on for size :)

0Zq7eN.jpg

Directly above the wagon badge, there are three holes to fit an Aussie "Datsun 1600" badge which is the same one that goes on the front fenders.  I like the badge, but WAY too big for the hatch, so I welded them up.  The only badge on the hatch will be the wagon badge.

o7wsEY.jpg

If anyone is interested, I have about 5 or 6 areas that need lead fill.  I will probably get to this a week from Superbowl Sunday.  I think that is Feb 8. 

If you want to see how it is done, or want to get some hands on, I would be happy to show anyone who is interested, or wants to try it.  This will probably be the last lead that gets applied to this car.

Please drop me a PM if you want to check it out.  I am in Huntington Beach.

Looks to me like they were going for a rear wiper?

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Got the hatch painted.  The inside of it was ugly as hell, so after making the repairs, I used a very coarse Scotchbrite pad, sprayed primer inside, then used some of my leftover Lizard Skin on the inside of the hatch.  It looks much better, (not that it really shows) and the lizard skin *should* help keep the noise down.

hatch.jpg

hatch1.jpg

My image hosting service went from $18.00 a year to about $50 a year.  I'm currently trying out Picblaze. (It's free)  These photo hosting sites are a pain :(

I have all my photos on my computer, but Imageshack may delete my account after a while, so this thread may be light on pics for a while if that happens.  It would be a bitch to go back and try to edit it now. 

If that happens, maybe I can delete this thread and just post a new thread with little to no commentary, and just pics.  We'll see what happens...

• Like 3

I'm thinking about throwing $40-$50 towards one of these:

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?tab=extras&subgroupname=Weatherstrip&parttype=766&ck%5Byear_1995%5D=true&ck%5Bmkt_US%5D=true&ck%5Bmkt_EU%5D=false&ck%5Bmkt_CA%5D=false&ck%5Bmkt_MX%5D=false&ck%5BID%5D=0&ck%5Bidlist%5D=0&ck%5Bviewcurrency%5D=USD&ck%5BPHP_SESSION_ID%5D=l4m85n5o9hglbs3a5prfcg1o16

I'm going to measure the hatch carefully, and try one of those universal window seals.  I'd like to delete the front and back chrome window trims, and Datsport gets $180 plus shipping for a back window seal for a goon.    Nobody males a chrome-delete seal for the hatch.  I'm hoping I can find one of these that fits the goon.  I'll keep you posted..

My image hosting service went from $18.00 a year to about $50 a year.  I'm currently trying out Picblaze. (It's free)  These photo hosting sites are a pain :(

I have all my photos on my computer, but Imageshack may delete my account after a while, so this thread may be light on pics for a while if that happens.  It would be a bitch to go back and try to edit it now. 

If that happens, maybe I can delete this thread and just post a new thread with little to no commentary, and just pics.  We'll see what happens...

FWIW, this one is free and is a lot more user-friendly? 

http://datsun510.com/

Thanks John.  That's good to know.  PicBlaze is (seemingly) okay and has an easy interface. (so far) :)

I ordered a "universal" rear window seal that has dimensions that appear to work.  We'll see what happens when it gets here..

The hatch assembled and waiting. 

hatchfin.jpg

• Like 3

Wow john looking real good and no shortage of beer there in that garage. :w00t:

I would be Mark, actually :)

I have pretty-much one beer a day after dinner.  Notice the Mexico-bottled Cokes under the beer..That's the shit right there.  I only have one of those occasionally because I am trying to keep my girlish figure in my old age..

I thought this would make a funny photo.  My 510 wagon door graveyard:

deaddoors.jpg

I still have two more to add to the pile...

• Like 3