Duncan's 71 "Oz" Goon

Duncan

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

With the fires and the crazy heatwave, it was hard getting things done this week.

This wagon never seems to come up short on surprises..

z9d7.jpg

Started pulling this window out of the rear door.  As soon as I grabbed it, I knew something was up.  Turns out it was a piece of plexiglass cut to fit the quarter window.  I really wasn't expecting that, nor did I notice it beforehand.  This piece was dead flat and not curved.  Seemed to work okay, though.  Nobody (including myself) ever noticed it.

Fortunately, I scan Craigslist when I stay overnight in San Diego, and remembered there was an ad for someone selling all glass for a 510 wagon.  He was asking $20 per piece and he had a window for me.  Got it the same day.  

With my $35 rear bumper and the quarter glass, San Diego has been good for 510 parts on-the-fly.

4amf.jpg

The larger glass pieces were okay, but the channel was pretty corroded.  I carefully soaked the bottom mounting points in acid which cleaned them up very quickly.  I then neutralized the acid by washing them in a baking soda/water solution, followed by soapy water.  Then it was primer and paint.

sl54.jpg

Here's the first rear door going together.  I got the quarter window rubber ages ago from Datsport.  I ordered them along with the suspension parts. 

I painted the metal channel piece that goes between the quarter glass and front glass.  I banged the crap out of it before I learned how to install it, so it got repainted and was drying as I was leaving. :)

I also bought the NOS Nissan window felt, and that stuff is *really* nice..  A little pricey, but worth the money, IMHO.  I'll get some photos of it installed.  It was miserably hot and I didn't really think about photos too much over the last couple of days..

I feel bad checking this thread, my poor goon is sitting off to the side while I am working diligently on the green 1200. But at the same time it keeps me inspired too.

Same here, but my 1200 has been parked and temporarily forgotten..

I feel bad checking this thread, my poor goon is sitting off to the side while I am working diligently on the green 1200. But at the same time it keeps me inspired too.

I'm in the middle. This thread makes me want to neglect the 1200 for the 510 wagon but I just can't do it...    :rofl:

I'm in the middle. This thread makes me want to neglect the 1200 for the 510 wagon but I just can't do it...    :rofl:

I'm sure you guys have the same situation as mine.  I only have so many hours per week to work on projects like this.  

My wife is the coolest ever, but I *do* have to do a few things around the house to keep her happy.  My continued employment with regular paychecks is all part of keeping her happy, too :)  Unfortunately, work gets in the way of my play a lot of times..

• Like 1

I'm sure you guys have the same situation as mine.  I only have so many hours per week to work on projects like this.  Unfortunately, work gets in the way of my play a lot of times..

Same here. I spend about 5 hours every Saturday morning at the shop working on my 1200 and that's really about it. I moved the wagon to my house thinking "oh, I can work on it a few minutes here, a few minutes there", but those minutes seem to be a lot harder to find than I thought...   :rofl:

I'll hit the wagon full speed when the 1200 is done and they trade places though. Your thread is just making it that much harder to wait...   ^_^

Quick question for you 510 experts if you please..

I have two rear doors that are NOT on the car.  (along with two sets of door hinges not installed)  Both the hinges NOT on the car have this stamped into them..

zn4f.jpg

Is there a separate FRONT and REAR lower door hinge?  I didn't notice when I put the front ones on.  I have to pull a door off to take a look.  I'm afraid I might have two REAR hinges on the fronts :)  If that is the case, the PO had them backwards, as I kept the same hinges with each door as I removed them..

If it's for getting the hinge oriented correctly, that's pretty silly as the door won't hang.

Hopefully, someone will know.  Thanks!

Here are the part #'s

80400-21002 FRONT DOOR UPPER RH

80401-21003 FRONT DOOR UPPER LH

80420-21002 FRONT DOOR LOWER RH

80421-21002 FRONT DOOR LOWER LH

82400-21002 REAR DOOR UPPER RH

82420-21001 REAR DOOR LOWER RH

82401-21002 REAR DOOR UPPER LH

80421-21003 REAR DOOR LOWER LH

So the 2 that are close in part # are the left front lower and the left rear lower but they really do not show to inter change except as former part #'s so I guess it could be said that they will. Don't know if that helps.......

edit: went back and read your post.  Keep in mind that Nissan was cheap back then and used the same parts across different models....or you could be right and the PO moved stuff around on ya.

Thanks Kelly.  I'll check them out very carefully.  I just bolted the front doors on, and haven't done much adjusting yet, so I don't know if I have a problem yet..

I'm just trying to avoid taking the doors on and off.  They're a pain, and I want to avoid banging the paint up..

Thanks for looking into it. 

Mr Big, the quarter rubber are okay. It stretches around the window tightly, and it split a little bit in one corner, but didn't really affect anything, so not a big deal.  I'll be more careful with the next install.  

It's also a little tight, so I'm hoping this corner will relax a little and lay down better.

wssq7.jpg

I also have an idea on how to make that corner lay down better.  I'll be there all this week...

• Like 1

I think I know who your connection is.  I e-mailed him on something and he never got back to me.  I did find another source for the same NOS parts fairly cheap, so no big deal..

Very good,I got a quote from them for the rubbers but i have a connection for all NOS rubbers or at least the cargo windows back hatch glass and those quarter windows for now,waiting for him to price me out and a NOS inside rearview mirror.

Last door has a repair done to it, but they left the arm rest area whit a dent / low spot in it.  I tinned it, and used a soldering iron with acid core solder.  It goes on thick because it's too small an area to heat with a torch and you don't use a paddle to push it around.  It's a small spot, so the lead solder is laid on thick and filed off.

zl65.jpg

Filed down and ready for high build primer.

ec18l.jpg

Finally got the last door done.  Seems like I have been doing them forever..

ywzfx.jpg

I also painted the little trim piece that holds the top of the door panel to match.  Mine were spray painted black.  Not sure what the original finish was, so I painted them to match.

My heater was spray painted gray, and I was lamenting how I was going to remedy that.  I finally did get it cleaned off, (a few pages back in this thread) and today I painted the pieces with an amazing paint I have for plastic parts. 

3vjv.jpg

wk0z.jpg

w394.jpg

My camera phone is pretty good, but these look much nicer in person. 

5au4.jpg

These dash cowl pieces were also spray painted, and the pebble grain finish was almost completely filled in with spray paint.  A week in the hot tank followed by glass bead blasting got all the old paint off.  The pebble grain is actually in the metal.  The factory must have had a dye and performed this before the piece was stamped.  I've never seen anything like it, although I'm sure another manufacturer used this technique somewhere..

Because the pebble grain pattern is really small, I was afraid to use modern, catalyzed paint because it might fill it back in.  I used to work for a large guitar manufacturer, and way back when, I was able to gran a couple gallons (in assorted colors) of nitrocellulose lacquer paint.  Lacquer is very thin, and I just fogged it on.  I then fogged on about 3-4 coats of clear lacquer over it to protect it.

ex91.jpg

It's hard for a painter to just "fog" paint on :)  I generally want to put enough on for a wet coat that flows out.  If you do that here, (and with the plastic paint) you've just ruined your paint job by filling in the grain.  I had to keep reminding myself to pull the gun back, and move across the piece FAST :)

It's an old dog, new trick sorta thing...

• Like 1

I also painted the little trim piece that holds the top of the door panel to match.  Mine were spray painted black.  Not sure what the original finish was

For what it's worth, from the factory they were painted a satin silver. 

I usually paint them to match the door panel. I hate that the ones on a 1200 aren't removable...    :sneaky:

• 4 weeks later...

Fucking goon...

Turns out the front doors were shit.   No photos, but the lower part of the front doors were dented pretty badly at one time, and someone took a hammer and started beating the shit out of the dents, and they ruined both front doors.  They bondo'd the shit out of them, and I'm pissed at myself for not catching it earlier.

I found a complete set of wagon doors in Phoenix, AZ and made a banzai run this weekend.  They look real straight and complete, (with the original paint, too) and the price was certainly good.  I paid the same price for a complete set what some folks were asking for one door here in So Cal..  Craigslist to the rescue..

They are all complete with glass, trim, mirrors, and interior handles.  The rear doors even have the door panels on them, too.

Loaded up and ready to head West on the I-10:

5v5x.jpg

I was in the music business for a long time and have spent quite a bit of time in Austin, Nashville, and Memphis.  My Mom lived in Austin and my best friend did, too.  Unfortunately, they both passed away just a few months apart, so I have had no real reason (not a good one, anyway) to visit Texas.  

Anyway, on the outskirts of Phoenix, I look over and see a Rudy's BBQ restaurant!  I haven't had REAL Texas BBQ in a few years, and I found a holy grail in Phoenix..  I stopped in at 10:30 in the morning and ate myself silly.  1/2 lb of moist brisket, potato salad, and even had some banana pudding for desert!!  Best breakfast I've had in a few years.  I was so full, I could hardly walk, but it was awesome!!!!

gq81.jpg

The shit right here!  This was before I murdered this 1/2 lb of smoked brisket with tangy BBQ sauce!!  Finding Rudy's in Phoenix was the best part of the trip. IMHO..   :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Sorry vegans, enjoy your lettuce..

• Like 3

Glad to see Texas BBQ in Phoenix. Sure ain't none in California...   :rofl:

I was over the moon after not having any for about 5 or so years now :)  Now, if we had Bluebell ice cream I would be in serious trouble..

Ray, the BBQ was a bonus, but it was a very quick run and not a whole lot of fun, really...  

I actually stopped at Portillos around 4:00pm on Saturday.  I was really tired and nobody showed up by 4:15, so I just took off and finished the drive home.