Duncan's 71 "Oz" Goon

Duncan

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, with the Pacifico show and the Eagle Rock swap, I didn't have a lot of quality time with the goon this weekend.  

I did manage to get the last door final sanded, so now I have 4 doors (theoretically) ready to paint.  I'll be in San Diego this Friday and Saturday, so we'll see what happens.

Nice seeing and hanging out with everyone this weekend.

• Like 1

Started welding up holes this morning and got about half of them done.  (I counted 30)

HDRbU9.jpg

koJqaC.jpg

Ran out of shielding gas, so grinding welds and stripping paint commenced.

119f4I.jpg

Actually, I got a lot farther than I thought I would.  Stripping the engine bay went much faster than I anticipated, (The parking brake seemed to take the most time) and the welding went well, too.  I will sling some lead in here, but plan on using some bondo, too. Purists run away now!

In retrospect, I can see I didn't need to paint the strut tops, but I can work with it.  More mistakes to come :)

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Been down in San Diego the last 4 days and this is all I have to show for it :(

Stripping the engine bay is very tedious if you want to have it done well. I spent two full days on the front valence alone.  It needed a lot of straightening and dents repaired.  As always, it took way more time than I had hoped it would, but I got it pretty well sorted out.  It's about 90% completed before it gets a serious de-greasing, then onto the body work. 

After running various wire wheels (We nicknamed the Makita with the wire wheel on it "The Widow Maker") my arms and hands look like I was attacked by a pack of mountain lions.   

I'm spending about a half day here tomorrow, then headed home for Thanksgiving.  

8lXF4X.jpg

I found a little surprise on the firewall right in front of the drivers side.  The serial number filled in with paint!  If I had known it was there, that could have saved me a LOT of headaches with the DMV here in So Cal.  when I first got the car.

rswFbV.jpg

Have a nice Thanksgiving!

• Like 2

and remove the front apron if you can you will be happier with the over all job.

I just painted a car and hated that I didn't remove it

Definitely! Always lots of surface rust hiding behind it that you can't get at without taking it off.   :thumbup:

It's only about 6 spot welds to drill out, and it's much easier to straighten once it's off. 

I wish I could sandblast, but not inside the shop where it's at.  Also, I got the rebuild sequence all screwed up because I thought I was getting the car out of there.  This should have been done with the suspension out.

I didn't realize the front valence came off with so few spot welds.  This is my first Datsun resto, and the first 510 I've owned.

BTW, feel free to chime in.  Tips happily accepted and appreciated :cool: 

• Like 1

I didn't realize the front valence came off with so few spot welds.  

BTW, feel free to chime in.  Tips happily accepted and appreciated :cool:

I always drill straight through the spot welds with a regular bit, then install rivnuts in the radiator support and use stainless screws to bolt it back on. 

• Like 1

I generally use a spot weld cutter, but I think I know where that lower apron attaches, and drilling it out and bolting sounds like a good idea to line it back up.  (The car is not here, so I can't look at it.)  I'm thinking a combo of bolting and welding could be the ticket to re-attach it.

Again, thanks for the input.  I can certainly benefit from your guys expertise. 

Well piss on a stick..

I finally get motivated to start back on the doors today.  I spend a couple of hours going over details like some final sanding and cleaning and it starts raining :( 

Normally, that wouldn't be too big a deal, but my Sunny is parked in the driveway, and I didn't want to get that car rained on, so we'll try again on another Sunday.

eGPtsY.jpg

• Like 4

I just noticed the Sunny fits within the door frame.  It wasn't planned that way.  Some people are artsy with an iPhone , I'm a caveman with it. :no:

It stopped raining and the sun came out, so I moved the car out again and painted the door.  Shit wasn't working good today.  Couldn't get it to flow out very well so I reduced it down pretty thin, and I got some sags in it.  I can fix it, but I hate that shit. 

The rain came back and I had to wipe the car down, too.  It was a crappy day at the office..

P7nXYg.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks Mr Big.

It doesn't look too bad in the photo, but there's more orange peel than there should be.  It just didn't flow out and lay down like it should have.  I always color sand my stuff anyway, but orange peel = more work.

Well it looks good from this angle.